PDA

View Full Version : I think it starts today !!!

Noah's Ark
03-08-2014, 06:54 AM
Things look good for a sap flow. Looking forward to starting up the evaporator today or Sunday. Had a little bit of sap in the lines yesterday afternoon and a few taps were slowly dripping. I am sure anxious to fire up the new evaporator. Since I don't have enough sap yet I will run over to Hebron and check out the maple festival for the first time. Should be a nice day. Good luck to everyone and may this be the beginning of a big sap flow.:D

sr73087
03-08-2014, 10:05 AM
In SW CT mine started running again this morning, nothing crazy. The forecast for the rest of the month looks pretty good though.

killingworthmaple
03-08-2014, 03:43 PM
It started running for me around 12:00 but not that well hoping the holes didn't start drying out. We will see tomorrow.

Nathan

markct
03-08-2014, 08:58 PM
Started around noon here kinda slow but sun came out and got it goin and still running great at 10pm! About a gal of sap per tap today

alcontrast
03-08-2014, 09:20 PM
I've just got a dozen 5 gallon buckets with 14 taps but I seems like I collected more today than I did over the past two weeks and the temp forecasts are looking good for the next few weeks to follow. I'm down in the southern half of CT but I suspect the temps aren't much different further north. It looks like it's "on"! This is my first year doing this so it's been really interesting watching the sap flow, sugar content, etc as the weather changes..

How much of a problem/concern is tap holes drying out as KillingworthMaple mentioned? I don't think I have that problem but I have no idea how long it would take; say I tapped trees early in the season during a warm spell but then it stayed below freezing for 4 weeks.. Do drip spouts vs tubing spouts make a difference? I'm using tubing into mostly sealed buckets btw.

pyro
03-08-2014, 09:54 PM
This is my first year as well. 10 taps. My best tap produced about a gallon today. Im leaving them going until next weekend when I boil. Cold nights should keep them cool with ice.

My worst was the one I pulled out of that oak which gave absolutely nothing! Too many oaks in my yard.

alcontrast
03-14-2014, 11:36 PM
I've never heard of any big fans of Oak syrup but I suppose if it's got sap you can make syrup right?