PDA

View Full Version : Homemade vacuum system ideas

Quagmire33
03-07-2014, 05:56 PM
I don't have a lot of taps but was thinking about trying to make a vacuum system. Right now I'm thinking an automotive 2.5 CFM pump from harbor freight, a poly 55 gallon drum and some fittings. Picture this, lines fitted into one bung on top of drum and pump fitted into the other bung on the top. Making the drum into a 55 gallon vacuum tank. Not sure how I would moderate the pressure or have it shut off when I'm not home. Don't know what they will pump down to but I'm guessing itd be enough to collapse the tank. I claim ignorance on how an actual vacuum system works and what exactly a releaser does. I figure I could just shut the pump off, take the bung off and empty whatever was collected. What am I not seeing here ? And any ideas how to switch the pump without buying a $400 vacuum switch off of grainger ? :confused:

maple flats
03-07-2014, 06:15 PM
If left running it surely will implode the tank. While a barrel might hold a little pressure, vacuum is harder to contain. The berrel will have no way to support any vacuum that is high enough to help.
A releaser is a device that holds vacuum while filling, but when full it shuts off the vacuum flow and thus releases the sap inside. Then it switches back to draw the air and gasses out of the releaser along with all the tubing on the system until it fills again. This just keeps cycling as long as the vacuum is running and the sap is flowing.

Quagmire33
03-07-2014, 06:22 PM
Any ideas on how to make a cheap releaser ? Again, since I've never seen one in action I really have no idea how to simplify down a very expensive piece of equipment.

Ittiz
03-07-2014, 06:35 PM
I don't have a lot of taps but was thinking about trying to make a vacuum system. Right now I'm thinking an automotive 2.5 CFM pump from harbor freight, a poly 55 gallon drum and some fittings. Picture this, lines fitted into one bung on top of drum and pump fitted into the other bung on the top. Making the drum into a 55 gallon vacuum tank. Not sure how I would moderate the pressure or have it shut off when I'm not home. Don't know what they will pump down to but I'm guessing itd be enough to collapse the tank. I claim ignorance on how an actual vacuum system works and what exactly a releaser does. I figure I could just shut the pump off, take the bung off and empty whatever was collected. What am I not seeing here ? And any ideas how to switch the pump without buying a $400 vacuum switch off of grainger ? :confused:

I have that exact pump. It's a nice little trooper and will pull over 29" at sea level (with good oil). That also means it'll implode the drum pretty easy. You have to be careful with it though the pump isn't made to have moisture go through it. I built two vacuum chambers and a condenser so I can vacuum still the water out of the sap and make syrup at a low temp. I've been trying to figure out a clever way to turn a 55 gal drum into a vacuum chamber but I'm not hopeful.

BreezyHill
03-08-2014, 06:43 AM
Quagmire33, love that name!

Vacuum is actually quite simple...you just need to understand a few simple rules of physics.

Light weight plastic or metal will not stand up to the massive pressures exerted by the atmosphere on an empty(vacuumed) chamber. If I remember right it is in the ton per square inch area.

The higher the vacuum level the harder it is to achieve, thus the hotter the pump will get.

Vacuum transfer is affected by friction over distance.

The size of the pipe is a major factor. Bigger is always better.

I don't have all the current prices in front of me but one could make there only releaser for what you are looking at for less than $400 if you have some time, tools, and alittle elbow grease.

Releasers are simple...you just need to have a way to stop the vacuum to a chamber for a moment for it to balance and dump the liquid obtained. This can be accomplished for the mere cost of $100 in parts...mostly of ebay and Home Depot(HD). For another $40 a temp control, $80 water trap to save your pump, plus another $75 for some lights and an enclosure to make a nice neat hiding spot for all the power and elec parts from mice, squirrels and kids. You can go to the next generation for another $60 and have the system under constant vacuum while the chamber is dumping.

I rebuild dairy vacuum pumps for high vacuum applications. My dad was a Surge milking equipment dealer and then an industrial arts teacher; so I grew up around this stuff since I was born and maple since I was 5. I also teach this stuff to 4-H kids so don't worry I can have you in the drivers seat in no time.

Ben

Quagmire33
03-08-2014, 09:00 AM
Ok so, first step would be to find a vacuum chamber. Weather it's large like my original plan or small and have a releaser dump the sap intermittently. Any suggestions on what I could find to server that purpose ? And as far at elbow grease, with the exception of the 1% that make millions off the syrup they make, we are all in it as a labor of love and it'd be hard pressed to find a lazy sugarer. I don't know that I have $400 ish to put into a setup yet, but if I keep accumulating parts eventually it'll get built.

Quagmire33
03-08-2014, 09:02 AM
Also keep in mind that right now I'd only have 20 taps on the vacuum. I hope to talk to my neighbor this year and see if next year in can venture into his property and maybe double my taps. Either way we are talking minimal taps.

lpakiz
03-08-2014, 08:07 PM
You could use a beer barrel for a vacuum container. They will take a lot of vacuum. I have heard of releasers made from milk cans, so apparently they also can take at least some vacuum. Better have some method of shutting off the vacuum when they are full, or you'll suck sap into the pump, not good.

Quagmire33
03-09-2014, 07:42 AM
I've read on a different thread that some people are using a surflow RV water pump to provide vacuum to their lines on small setups like mine. I've seen claim of 13" of vacuum from these pumps. Will this work ?

BreezyHill
03-09-2014, 07:45 AM
We have been using 3" pvc for manifolds for over 20 years. The schedule 40 will work under 29" vacuum for along time. It is easy to tap a threaded hole into using pipe taps.

I recently finished a manifold for my dry lines and will soon be making a manifold to hook a dry line to several small mains to increase vacuum transfer to the system. This manifold will be about 4' long and have three mains come into it and have two mains exiting and dry line near the top with the end removable for cleaning.

To make a releaser you only need to have one of these and a float swith...$3 ebay that will control a pair of solenoid valves
Valve #1 closes vac supply to the chamber from the pump and opens to vent the chamber...this is a 3 way valve
#2 closes on the main line.

One cold have a third valve to vent the chamber instead of a 3 way for #1.
1" flapper check valve on the bottom of the chamber for a drain and you are good to go.

Personnaly I would have a second chamber of the same size, to have vacuum supplied to the mains at all times the is pump running. This makes the system more productive and works the pump less; as it has a smaller area to bring back to the achieved vacuum level.

I agree that most tappers are hard workers.

I am a farm boy whose grand parents were from the late 1800's Elbow grease is not a lack of laziness, but determination, problem solving insight, tenacity, and determination mixed with grit and mechanical ability to take raw products and make a work of art.

Your last statement proves to me you have elbow grease in your veins...
I don't know that I have $400 ish to put into a setup yet, but if I keep accumulating parts eventually it'll get built.

If you need a pic let me know and I will send them to you. I should have pics of our old manifold that was built in a L form. The vac pump connected to the top by way of a gate valve that was used to adjust the flow of vac to the chamber so that the releaser would get priority when it closed and suck the sap from the manifold. This one maxed out a 250 due to a small releaser dumping 30 oz every 3 seconds at peak flow times. A larger releaser could have doubled the tap count easily.

Ben