PDA

View Full Version : uncle

lafite
03-07-2014, 06:54 AM
we just can't win....today was forecasted to be sunny and potentially the start of a good run. now the clouds have set in and the trees will struggle to thaw. I'm trying to remain optimistic but our season in southern CT seems to be running short on any good quantities.

markct
03-07-2014, 07:10 AM
I must admit while it worries and frustrates me a bit its also keeps me optomistic in that the long range outlook shows no huge warmup anytime soon, no leap to 60 or 70 deg days. We had early season 3 years ago now it just looks like this will be a late season!

lafite
03-07-2014, 07:32 AM
you certainly have much more invested than me...I'm really pulling for the producers in CT to salvage a decent season. You have beautiful setup looking at the pictures on Facebook.

DaveB
03-07-2014, 07:58 AM
Yeah, there's no need to panic. A long range indications are looking good, leading up to and including the first week of April. That should give us four good weeks. If we are producing good syrup in April, that will be my latest in 23 years of doing this here. I just don't don't how the trees will respond when it's 45 during the day and 25 at night in early April. The increased amount of sunlight might have the trees thinking about budding.

For the folks on the coast, there's a large storm moving south of us out to sea, that's why you have clouds. The sap should run nicely tomorrow for everyone!

Noah's Ark
03-07-2014, 08:02 AM
The weather keeps looking like it will break and we should get a run, then as you get closer the forecast temps creep down and like today it just wont warm up. I installed tubing, got a new evaporator and filter tank this year hoping to start growing slowly. Now I sit and grumble every time I look at the long range forecast. It does look good into early April if it finally holds true. I am just worried the trees will start to bud and we will have a very short season. Here's hoping for a good season starting today.

markct
03-07-2014, 08:50 AM
Thanks for the compliment Lafite, alot more invested dollar wise nowdays yet i think the excitement of sugaring was just as intense back when i had less taps than you do!

maple flats
03-07-2014, 09:10 AM
Yeah, there's no need to panic. A long range indications are looking good, leading up to and including the first week of April. That should give us four good weeks. If we are producing good syrup in April, that will be my latest in 23 years of doing this here. I just don't don't how the trees will respond when it's 45 during the day and 25 at night in early April. The increased amount of sunlight might have the trees thinking about budding.

For the folks on the coast, there's a large storm moving south of us out to sea, that's why you have clouds. The sap should run nicely tomorrow for everyone!
I believe the trees bud by temperature, not daylight. That is why extended warm spells that are earlier than normal cause the buds to open. If the freeze thaw went to late April, we'd still get good sap, IMHO.

DaveB
03-07-2014, 09:28 AM
I believe the trees bud by temperature, not daylight. That is why extended warm spells that are earlier than normal cause the buds to open. If the freeze thaw went to late April, we'd still get good sap, IMHO.

I think it's a combination of factors. My understanding is that the leaves are producing sugar through photosynthesis and that it's a net sum gain equation. If there are enough daylight hours to produce enough sugar that tree needs given the average temps, it will bud. There's over a two hour difference in daylight between March 1st and April 1st. That's a big difference with 45° temps, even if it's getting down to 20° every night and I think the trees might start responding to that, just like bulbs do in the ground and ground temps start warming.

I hope you're right though!

CampHamp
03-07-2014, 09:30 AM
I believe the trees bud by temperature, not daylight. That is why extended warm spells that are earlier than normal cause the buds to open.

I read this chapter (http://dendro.cnre.vt.edu/forbioeco/htmltext/chapter6.htm) from a biology course on hardwood dormancy. It concludes that temperature is primary but daylight also has an effect:

"Warm temperatures are probably the most critical environmental factor at this point. Trees of the same species growing in the north will break bud later than the ones growing in the south. However, research has also shown that plants kept under warm temperatures but short daylengths broke bud later than plants kept in warm temperatures and long daylengths."

Thompson's Tree Farm
03-07-2014, 11:23 AM
I just don't don't how the trees will respond when it's 45 during the day and 25 at night in early April. The increased amount of sunlight might have the trees thinking about budding.

The day length won't be a problem at those temps. Remember after the equinox, those of us to your North have longer days than you do and we commonly produce most of our syrup in April.

DaveB
03-07-2014, 04:59 PM
I just don't don't how the trees will respond when it's 45 during the day and 25 at night in early April. The increased amount of sunlight might have the trees thinking about budding.

The day length won't be a problem at those temps. Remember after the equinox, those of us to your North have longer days than you do and we commonly produce most of our syrup in April.

Correct, but in the fall you have shorter days and an earlier peak foliage. It's a combination of factors. Either way its very rare to make quality syrup here in April. Hopefully we all have normal length seasons!

markct
03-07-2014, 05:38 PM
Its also rare to start last week of jan and end last week of feb but few years ago thats what happened! Trees have no calendar just an integral thermometer! Reason we rarely make quality syrup in april is temp not time

DaveB
03-07-2014, 06:44 PM
Its also rare to start last week of jan and end last week of feb but few years ago thats what happened! Trees have no calendar just an integral thermometer! Reason we rarely make quality syrup in april is temp not time

I agree but as others have said, its a combination of factors. Temperature alone doesn't dictate when leaves come out. IMHO I'm more concerned about a warmup in April than I am about one earlier in the year. That's just me.

Like I said, I think its going to be a great season. Let's focus on that.

lafite
03-07-2014, 08:53 PM
I love the optimism. Keep it coming...:D

BreezyHill
03-08-2014, 06:15 AM
Guys
You do realize that the season will be what it will be weather we worry and fret over it.

How about we spend the extra time making sure we can make the most out of every moment that the sap can run by checking our pumps and systems for leaks, getting all the taps in, checking belt tension and all the other maintance items that are sometimes over looked.

It will be what it will be so try the no worries approach...makes for better sleeping.

Ben

markct
03-08-2014, 09:03 PM
Well said Ben! And that exactly what i been doing last couple weeks, made some improvements and repairs, split extra wood and added more taps in the woods in a few areas that had been meaning to extend lines etc

lafite
03-10-2014, 08:01 PM
ready for my second boil of the season tomorrow. I'm hoping to sweeten the pans with what I collected and continue again this weekend. If it gets cold enough tonight, there could be a nice run tomorrow!!

bunkerchump
03-10-2014, 08:23 PM
ready for my second boil of the season tomorrow. I'm hoping to sweeten the pans with what I collected and continue again this weekend. If it gets cold enough tonight, there could be a nice run tomorrow!!

I hear ya. I'm in for my second boil tomorrow too. I'm hoping for a strong run tomorrow to top things off. Good Luck!

markct
03-10-2014, 10:40 PM
Yea its realy running now! Just got in from pumping tanks, got about 1200 gal over part 28 hours and looks like it will run all thru the night. Going to ro the sap while im at work tomorow and boil in the afternoon