PDA

View Full Version : vacuum setup

Fireman101
03-05-2014, 10:09 PM
I am trying to figure out how to setup a vacuum system. I have about 250 to 300 taps on 3/4 main line and its 200 feet down and I am trying to get it up the hill and was wondering if the vacuum will pull it up or should I just pump up the hill. I am new to the vacuum systems and would like to see what everyone else has to say. Thanks Tim.

Mike's Sugar Shack
03-06-2014, 04:54 AM
I would pump it up the hill.My vacuum pump is at my sap shack on top of the hill and i run a vacuum line down the hill to my releaser.

BreezyHill
03-06-2014, 06:36 AM
Fireman101, when you say it is 200' down are you talking the elevation change or the distance to the collection area?

This will make a difference.

I have all my taps come to my sugar shack. According to maps I have an elevation change of 100' and the 2% slope of the mains to the ladders, over the course of 1200 feet adds an additional 24'.

The current system is only about half the distance with the remainder being installed this weekend. Things have been to cold to work on tubing systems with lows below 0 most nights for the last several weeks.

Ladders work when managed well and you have a fairly tight system.

Pumping is another option if the collection tank is in safe location. Pumping has its own costs and head aches.

When we pumped we had to lay out power lines and remove power lines annually
pumping lines would freeze and take half the day to thaw if not all day
a tiny leak on a pressure line is a lot of wasted sap sprayed in the bush
the sheer cost of copper lines now days is brutal and add in the cost of the pump, or pumps depending on your rise.

If you have to go up 200' of rise you will need a primary pump and a booster pump; unless you can find a large pump that can handle that kind of rise.

Other things that you will need to look at is the size( capacity) of your vacuum pump.

For every inch of vacuum you can raise sap 12" roughly.

So let me know you distance to the tank from the sugar house and the elevation change.

Ben