PDA

View Full Version : who is going to start tapping this weekend?

steel tap syrup
03-04-2014, 04:54 PM
I have decided to start tapping this weekend. I'm getting tired of waiting. Is anyone going to start or have you started already? Friday is going to be semi warm. I figure good as day as any to get started.

glassman
03-04-2014, 06:26 PM
I will probably wait a week,

BreezyHill
03-04-2014, 09:38 PM
If the weather channel is right for our area we will only get a good window for march to run in. We plan to finish this weekend.

MIMapler
03-04-2014, 09:48 PM
Looks to me that several weather apps predict favorable weather in SW Michigan for the first half of next week. I plan to tap half of my 60 trees on Sunday. The rest I'll wait on.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

huntingken111
03-05-2014, 12:42 AM
I will be taping starting Thursday want to try out my new arch so I hope the trees bleed good.

Cider Hill Maple Farm
03-05-2014, 03:57 AM
Hi all,

Around here in central Maine, It's looking like a small warm up will happen starting Friday into Saturday with highs in the high thirties. Then during next week another cold front will move in for a few days and another warm up starting next weekend, after next weekend it looks very promising for good runs. I will be getting the taps in this weekend, we need to fire up and get the kinks worked out before the big flow.

Best to all.

bchncamaro
03-05-2014, 06:44 AM
Me too, I'm going to start tapping tomorrow. Not waiting anymore, even if I have to stare at empty buckets for a week or so.

Lethalbowman
03-05-2014, 07:50 AM
The results will probably look like this if any sap does come out of the trees any time soon but I intend to get my taps in this weekend also. Another below zero morning here in Northern Michigan (-13 as I was leaving for work) but it's supposed to start warming up a bit. At this point I would be happy for 30 degrees with sunshine just to start melting some of our snow.

David in MI
03-05-2014, 08:25 AM
I still can't even get the tractor into the woods. Going to have to wait a bit longer. Hopefully Friday's warm up will get rid of a bit of this snow.

Jonnyp390
03-05-2014, 09:04 AM
I think I am going to get my 30-40 taps in this weekend. Hopefully the Friday warm-up will loosen the ground enough that I can drive the tent stakes to set up my temporary shack. Here in the Southeast corner of the mitten it looks like weather will be favorable for better than half of next week, with things really getting going the week of the 17th. For such a late start, I would expect to be ready to go, but I feel like I still have a bunch of loose ends to tie up.

party152
03-05-2014, 09:15 AM
Newbie here. Thinking about putting 30 or so taps in Thursday? Looks like a warm up early next week also..

Four D Acre Farms
03-05-2014, 11:23 AM
Helping a friend set up new woods I will tapping his as i run laterals (that way i only have to walk the lines twice.) Ours probably start next week

steel tap syrup
03-06-2014, 06:49 AM
Put 20 taps in yesterday all in Black Walnuts. Friday the kids don't have school, so I'll start Friday morning on Maples. Got love that free labor!

Sam Caruth
03-06-2014, 12:12 PM
Ill be tapping half my trees this thursday/friday, and doing the rest of them probably in the middle to end of next week, depending how the flow is from the first half. Getting super excited for the season! It better come quick, I keep wasting wood because I enjoy watching the new evaporator boil water. Gave a great season guys!