PDA

View Full Version : Carbon steel pans ???

newmod
03-04-2014, 09:36 AM
Can regular carbon steel pans be used for the evaporator pans. I know you will have rust to deal with , but would there be any other problems using it.??? I just hate spending that kind of money for stainless pans. In the long run I will probably just buy the stainless. UGH

Newmod

psparr
03-04-2014, 10:30 AM
Yes you can. And it will transfer the heat better than stainless. If the syrups for your own use, have at it.

feathercast
03-04-2014, 09:23 PM
Why do you say if it's for your own use?

bamboozled
03-04-2014, 10:48 PM
I just built my brother an evaporator with a carbon steel pan. From what I read the pans should season after a couple of boils, and as long as some care is taken when they are stored they shouldn't rust.

From what I've read if you plan to retail sale your syrup you need food grade pans/stainless. If you are doing it yourself go with carbon steel, as mentioned less expensive and better heat transfer.

Swampmapleman
03-05-2014, 08:49 AM
Why do you say food grade? Stainless and mild steel are not far off in composition? Stainless just has more chromium added for corrosion resistance. They are both hot and cold rolled? Saying it's food grade means what?

psparr
03-05-2014, 09:07 AM
Why do you say food grade? Stainless and mild steel are not far off in composition? Stainless just has more chromium added for corrosion resistance. They are both hot and cold rolled? Saying it's food grade means what?

Means thats what the state wants you to use.

I recently had an issue where I finally got inspected for one of my carnival concessions. I sell a drink with dry ice in it which makes it smoke. The kids love it. The inspector had no problem with me putting dry ice in the drinks, but did have a problem with me mixing the drinks ahead of time ay home. She wanted me to use a dirty old hose that was connected to the fire hydrant for my water source. I kindly told her I would not.

Swampmapleman
03-05-2014, 09:18 AM
I know stainless is the best option for syrup but to not be able to sell syrup cause it wasn't boiled in a stainless pan? What about all those English tin pans?

Ausable
03-05-2014, 09:23 AM
Can regular carbon steel pans be used for the evaporator pans. I know you will have rust to deal with , but would there be any other problems using it.??? I just hate spending that kind of money for stainless pans. In the long run I will probably just buy the stainless. UGH

Newmod

Sure and they work just fine. However - When You sell to the public - You would have to check on your Local and State regulations. Yes - A lot of it is silly - But - You have to play the game. Cast Iron was used in prepared foods for years and stills is - Then we had steel in all the various forms it comes in and that was used for years and still is in many areas of food preparation - and now we have stainless steel - It doesn't rust, it shines, it is pretty and also more expensive. Now if I was planning on going commercial and giving Sugar House Tours and trying to impress my customers - I would have a pretty Sugar Shack and nothing but Stainless Steel with all the bells and whistles. Gotta Play the Game. But I don't. I make Maple Syrup as a Hobby and give it to Family and Friends and my Dull - Homely - Old Fashioned Steel Pans work just fine......LOL ---My Syrup is good and so is "Shiny" Syrup good......Have Fun. ----Mike-----

jmayerl
03-05-2014, 09:34 AM
Means thats what the state wants you to use.

I recently had an issue where I finally got inspected for one of my carnival concessions. I sell a drink with dry ice in it which makes it smoke. The kids love it. The inspector had no problem with me putting dry ice in the drinks, but did have a problem with me mixing the drinks ahead of time ay home. She wanted me to use a dirty old hose that was connected to the fire hydrant for my water source. I kindly told her I would not.
No it's not just what the state wants you to use.
The use of stainless steel in food production and preparation is to ensure a cleanable surface that is free from dirt and contaminants. Stainless steel is easly cleanable. Old rusty steel not so much.

psparr
03-05-2014, 12:26 PM
No it's not just what the state wants you to use.
The use of stainless steel in food production and preparation is to ensure a cleanable surface that is free from dirt and contaminants. Stainless steel is easly cleanable. Old rusty steel not so much.

I guess a clarification to my post. All my syrup stuff is stainless, and I like it that way. The inspector eventually allowed me to mix at home, because the hose and where it was lying was really nasty.

newmod
03-05-2014, 07:20 PM
Thanks guys. Finishing up my oil tank evaporator tomorrow and gonna weld up some steel pans for it, at least for this year. Doubling my taps his year so the new evaporator should do better than the old block arch..

NW Ohio
03-05-2014, 07:58 PM
My dad made syrup in cast iron kettles many times but as stated, that kind of surface is really hard to clean. I would think it might be easier to get flavors that you didn't intend but we always ate his and thought it was good enough.

...I sell a drink with dry ice in it which makes it smoke...

I've seen dry ice in liquid break up and float around as it sublimes. I would be pretty nervous that someone might "drink" a piece of the dry ice.

psparr
03-06-2014, 09:16 AM
I've seen dry ice in liquid break up and float around as it sublimes. I would be pretty nervous that someone might "drink" a piece of the dry ice. I give a small straw and remind them not to eat the ice but some do it on purpose and come back for more!

tessiersfarm
03-08-2014, 06:04 PM
People have been using cast iron cookware for about forever and it works well if properly cared for. Same goes for your pans, stainless would be easier, but not necessarily better.