PDA

View Full Version : Painting Tips

maplestudent
03-04-2014, 09:10 AM
I've seen a number of pictures that people have posted of their arch builds, where during the build the pics show metal that has various degrees of rust, and then voila...a nicely painted black arch. I appreciate the time everyone took to take the pics and post them. But I am curious about the prep work, if any, before painting.

I'm wondering do you remove just the loose rust or sand down to bare metal? use a high temp primer?

markct
03-04-2014, 09:38 AM
Depending on the project i usualy just grind the heavy rust or pass a wire brush over the light rust to remove any loose parts. When i built my woodstove i did have it sandblasted but just since we were having a truck chassis blasted at the same time.

BreezyHill
03-04-2014, 10:23 AM
I have had veering degrees of success with paint lasting from different sources. The tractor paints at Trac supply, with a good primer coating work well if most all the rust is gone.

To remove rust I use a grider with a metal wheel to remove major scale and a sanding flap disk to get a polished finish that takes off surface rust and polishes the grinder marks.

I use mostly spray cans unless I have a large job or multiply items to paint and then I break out the big gun and the compressor.

It does take time but remember...satisfaction in a job well done is your truest reward.

Ben

maplestudent
03-04-2014, 11:58 AM
Excellent. Thanks for the tips!

Indiana-Jones
03-04-2014, 05:01 PM
Wire brush the rust the best you can and wipe with a rag soaked in paint thinner. Than brush on a thick coat barbecue grill paint.

http://www.menards.com/main/paint/exterior-paint-stain/oil-based/rust-oleum-specialty-bbq-black-high-heat-paint-1-qt/p-1956487-c-8012.htm

Ausable
03-04-2014, 05:15 PM
Indiana-Jones - I thank You for the advice - Sounds like something I could manage. Maplestudent - Thanks for asking the question as my rig needs to be spruced up this Summer.

Sugarmaker
03-04-2014, 05:35 PM
Painting the arch has become a yearly ritual for me. I wire brush the loose rust and this year brushed on Rust-0-leum black high temp paint. This is usually done before our Taste and Tour Maple event (mid March). By the time we are done with the season and the arch sets idle for a year it needs a freshening.
Regards,
Chris

maplestudent
03-05-2014, 08:06 AM
Thanks for all the tips! I really appreciate everyone taking the time to respond. The Menard's link also has a like to Rustoleum's PDF on application and technical specs. Interesting that the spray on version is rated to a higher temp than the brush on version. Now to decide which to use.

Has anyone applied this at a low temp? My garage is not heated, though I might be able to raise the temp a few degrees by setting up some halogen utility lights in close proximity.

Ausable - you're welcome.

backyard sugaring
03-05-2014, 08:38 PM
I buy my paint at a auto supply store engine paint or brake caliber paint many different colors. This week i painted mine and the sugar shack was about 40 degrees and it dried. Good Luck this season. Lee

maplestudent
03-06-2014, 06:31 AM
backyard sugaring....thanks for the tip!