PDA

View Full Version : Temps for Tapping Question

frjeff
03-04-2014, 06:30 AM
Last year was my first for backyard sugaring. I tapped on March 8. I am in Oscoda, MI.

Our forecast shows the first day above freezing to be next Monday, March 10.

My question: should I tap ahead of that date, or wait until I see a forecast of a series of consecutive days to be above freezing days with below freezing nights?

Thanks.

GeneralStark
03-04-2014, 07:07 AM
With just a few taps I would suggest waiting until the conditions are ideal. Even one day above freezing isn't going to produce much with the temps. we have been having recently.

Joust7.1
03-04-2014, 07:14 AM
Oscoda? MICHIGAN MARATHON - have you ever done it or spectated? My dad is a canoe manufacturer and has had several boats compete in this race over the years.

To respond to your question... I would wait until just before a few day stretch of above freezing weather on the horizon. We had a couple day thaw around here a week or so ago and I didn't even bother putting my taps out. At that time, the forecast was for temps hovering around zero to 20 for the next 10 days which we are closing in on now. Looks like that will be extended yet another week at least. I have a small enough woods that I can put all my taps out in a day so I'm waiting until it looks like we are close to full on for the start of the season. I probably miss a few small runs early, but then I don't have to deal with keeping sap in the evaporator for an extended period of time, cleaning tanks etc. for only a short or marginal run. BTW, I still have a few days of work before we can get too much sap, so another week is currently in my favor. We are in Championship season for our track and field team, so I am away for long weekends for two more weeks. I wouldn't be able to process much sap right now anyway. Good luck and hopefully the conditions are favorable in MI.

happy thoughts
03-04-2014, 07:22 AM
It's probably going to be your call. If you have the time now and won't later then go for it as long as it isn't so cold you risk splitting cold wood when tapping. Be gentle:) The cold temps aren't going to allow at lot of microorganisms to grow so effect on the life of tapholes should be minimal.

If you're just putting in a few taps and can afford to wait then tap closer to when the weather looks better. That said, a quick look at your forecast shows the 10th looks possible but then gets cold again. It isn't looking great for good runs until St Patty's day. If you can wait a week, it might be better. Just keep checking the weather.

frjeff
03-08-2014, 07:04 AM
Oscoda? MICHIGAN MARATHON - have you ever done it or spectated? My dad is a canoe manufacturer and has had several boats compete in this race over the years.

To respond to your question... I would wait until just before a few day stretch of above freezing weather on the horizon. We had a couple day thaw around here a week or so ago and I didn't even bother putting my taps out. At that time, the forecast was for temps hovering around zero to 20 for the next 10 days which we are closing in on now. Looks like that will be extended yet another week at least. I have a small enough woods that I can put all my taps out in a day so I'm waiting until it looks like we are close to full on for the start of the season. I probably miss a few small runs early, but then I don't have to deal with keeping sap in the evaporator for an extended period of time, cleaning tanks etc. for only a short or marginal run. BTW, I still have a few days of work before we can get too much sap, so another week is currently in my favor. We are in Championship season for our track and field team, so I am away for long weekends for two more weeks. I wouldn't be able to process much sap right now anyway. Good luck and hopefully the conditions are favorable in MI.

Wife and I do a significant bit of canoeing on the AuSable River. But, never have participated in the marathon. I have many friends who do participate and we avidly spectate from our front porch on the river.