PDA

View Full Version : Sap In MAY???????????????

Bruce L
03-03-2014, 05:36 PM
Just heard the updated extended forecast for our area, next three months unseasonably cold, yes that's three months, not days or weeks! My Father told me that one year his Dad(My Grandfather ) talked about some buckets running over in early May, but have no idea if the sap was still good. I have heard some oldtimers talk about 1 year where there was basically no summer, very little hay, grains etc.

Loch Muller
03-03-2014, 06:30 PM
I think it was 1816 when they had the "year without a summer", but those would have to be real real old timers!

maple flats
03-03-2014, 07:27 PM
That it seems was caused by a huge ash cloud from a major vulcanic eruption if I remember the story correctly.

jmayerl
03-03-2014, 07:37 PM
We made syrup just north of Green Bay 3 years ago up til may 5th.

Bruce L
03-03-2014, 07:46 PM
Actually the individual that told me may have been talking about some time in the dirty thirties, or it may have been passed down from his father. Can't find out now for sure as the poor man has dementia now

Four D Acre Farms
03-05-2014, 11:17 AM
The cool part is they didnt have the internet to check with everyone else about such things they just made syrup as long as they could. It sure seems like it is going to be a late late late year! Just remeber the trees will tell you when we are done!!! May you have a great season no matter how late it goes. We finished here in the northern part of lower mi last year april 27, lots of gathering in april showers.