PDA

View Full Version : Tapping Question

OakCorner
03-03-2014, 08:45 AM
Hi,

I tapped a few trees for the first time yesterday and it brought up a few questions for me... I'm using a 5/16th tapping bit, but in some holes there still appeared to be some dust left in the holes. I was worried about that plugging up the CV taps I'm using. I've heard you're not supposed to blow out the holes because of the potential for bacteria to get in them, so how do people ensure that the holes are clean? I guess I could bring a can of compressed air around with me? Or is blowing into the holes ok and I'm just overthinking it? Thanks!

DaveB
03-03-2014, 09:19 AM
I generally don't worry about it. I tapped most of my trees this week in preparation for warmer temps later this week and would drill the hole and insert the spout. I use a tapping bit and I believe that removes most of the saw dust. I hope that helps.

buckeye gold
03-03-2014, 09:26 AM
Most come out with the bit, and if they are running let it run a few seconds. If I see much dust I break off a green twig from a near by bush and use it to clean out the hole and then toss it.

BreezyHill
03-03-2014, 09:53 AM
a 5/16pipe cleaner brush does wonders. Sterilize it at the beginning of the day and if the tapping bit leaves anything just push it in give it a couple twists and pull it out. Clean hole ready to insert tap.

Ben

TunbridgeDave
03-03-2014, 03:46 PM
At the last seminar at Bascom's, the leader rep said a piece of galvanized wire works well because it has anti bacterial properties. Not trusting Leader too much lately though. ><

Chicopee Sap Shack
03-03-2014, 04:47 PM
I was there when brad said that but then at the class in tilton a rep from leader said no galv wire. Nothing in the tap hole but a drill bit and a tap. Leader needs to get there fecal matter together on more than one system these days.

Scott

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oneoldsap
03-19-2014, 02:07 PM
I always cut one end of a bag tie and put a little bend on it, so it will slide in and out of the tap hole easily . Just hoe out whatever's in the hole and smack the spout in ! Back in the old days , the sap was running when we were tapping , and they'd wash themselves out ! I stick that wire in my beard for transport ! LOL