PDA

View Full Version : Bleaching tap holes

OCHTO
02-28-2014, 02:53 PM
My Dad sprays a 20 to 1 mix of bleach water in his tap holes after he drills them. He never changes his taps only rinsing them at the end of each season. He uses drop lines to 5 gal. jugs so he might not get any reverse flow back to his trees. I doubt I could change his mind about bacteria control being so important that he should change his taps every year as they aren't that expensive. My question, is he harming the tree or getting bleach residue in his sap.

maple flats
02-28-2014, 03:58 PM
Most likely not legal if you sell sap or syrup. However, while you are better off. While the liquid bleach will boil away, he is getting some of the remaining salts in his finished product.

gmcooper
02-28-2014, 06:27 PM
It is really the old spile that has the bacteria not the tap hole.

What he is doing is kind of like disinfecting your foot before you step on a rusty nail.

happy thoughts
02-28-2014, 06:55 PM
If your Dad is old like my dearly loved father-in law, you're not going to change his mind. See if you can switch him from bleach to cheap vodka. The trees will be happier :)

Waynehere
02-28-2014, 09:45 PM
If your Dad is old like my dearly loved father-in law, you're not going to change his mind. See if you can switch him from bleach to cheap vodka. The trees will be happier :)

So THAT is how they make Maple whiskey???? :rolleyes:

adk1
02-28-2014, 09:47 PM
Yeah no
No bleach

BreezyHill
02-28-2014, 10:18 PM
Actually a 20:1 bleach solution is only a 5% solution so it is rather harmless. You can drink 10% with little to no ill affects according to NYS Dept of Health...I don't suggest it thou. A spray in the hole will be diluted to not even a trace on the first run.
We always let the first run dump as the taste and smell out of the plastic lines is always a little off.
Get him to spray the spout rather than the hole. The hole is clean as long as the bit was clean.

Good Luck!

OCHTO
03-01-2014, 06:56 AM
Thanks Happy Thoughts! Happy Trees, that's great. I would rather see him use vodka. I'm going to try to convince Dad to spray the drill and tap only then work up to new taps. Leaving the bleach home would lighten the load when tapping.

happy thoughts
03-01-2014, 07:40 AM
Good luck Ochto. And if you fail, remember in the best traditions of sugaring it's all about family. You are lucky to have the opportunity to share time with your dad.

Have a great season!