PDA

View Full Version : Planning for next years gravity. (first timer, gravity try)

Sandersyrup
02-28-2014, 09:30 AM
Next year I want to run gravity from my neighbors trees on the hill down to my operation in the valley. I'm tired of driving up there to collect sap from buckets.

I am new to the gravity idea and feel like I could see significant natural vac on 5/16 gravity. Most trees will get 2 taps for about 50 taps total. some trees are black walnut which i am considering including in the system. I cant sell here in PA so I'm ok with syrup being 100% pure Maple/walnut syrup.

My drop is over 200'. The large crop of maples up top are all on fairly flat ground the large drop happens after the property line.

My question is, what it the best way? Zig zag or running 5/16 Ys to 5/16 mainline. the distance from top to bottom is 1650'

The entire setup would need to be removed each season.

thoughts?

wildlifewarrior
02-28-2014, 01:05 PM
What is the reason that it would need to be removed every season? To me that seems like a ton of work for 50 taps. If you have a good drop, I guess you could do the mainline but it just seems so far to run it, that would be a ton of side ties etc. Plus you would need to put up the mainline wire and take it down, which would become bothersome. If there is a collection point closer to the main grouping that you could access then you could save money with less line.

I find that straight lines are easier to work with and ensure that the line has the appropriate drop.
I imagine that I didn't help too much sorry,

Mike

Sandersyrup
02-28-2014, 03:40 PM
I suppose I could leave the main 5/16 in place. One line travels through a cattle grazing field but could easily be hung 8' high in the trees so cows could pass under it.

Dave Y
02-28-2014, 06:30 PM
Three principals of tubing, Straight ,tight, and downhill.