PDA

View Full Version : stack size

Chellis Farm Sugaring
02-27-2014, 05:07 PM
Hi everyone let me start with this is a great site and have got a lot of good tips over the past year. here I am looking for some more info. I bought a 3x11 king arch in 2012 boiled with it in 2013 made 75 gallons.I was boiling Sun when I noticed that my stack damper had fallen apart. Without the damper I had a hard time keeping a good boil going. Finally my question is what size stack should I have ?.it came with a 14" but the bottom one tapers from 36" to 12" also do I need a damper if I have the right stack? Sorry so long winded trying to get all the information in Thanks in advance. Sean

tuckermtn
02-27-2014, 08:09 PM
Does your arch have any type of blower on it? I had a stock, no blower 2.5x8 and it came with a 14" stack. If you go with a smaller diameter stack, you can make up for it some with a taller stack. One thing to consider is if you have a roof jack, you might want to size your stack to fit that, so as to avoid having to get a new one of those.

I have never had a damper on an arch till my pellet arch came with one, so I cannot speak to that.

mellondome
02-27-2014, 08:17 PM
Are you using wood , oil, or gas?

Chellis Farm Sugaring
02-27-2014, 10:41 PM
Im using wood, it does have a blower (kind of) homemade. roof jack is for a 14'' stack ,it came with the arch. I guess what im trying to find out is, can I lose the damper if I go with a smaller pipe

mellondome
02-27-2014, 11:23 PM
Keep the same pipe. Just build up the area directly under the stack to restrict the flow up the pipe... kind of like a permanent damper

maple flats
02-28-2014, 04:56 AM
No damper is recommended on wood fired arches. Just split the wood wrist size or slightly larger and fuel it by the clock. A common fueling interval is 7 or 8 minutes. If you have Air over fire and not just air under fire, you can stretch out that interval 2 or 3 minutes at least.