PDA

View Full Version : 2x4 pan, arch dimensions ??

TerryEspo
02-27-2014, 05:05 PM
Hello Everyone

Hi to all for our 2014 season.

I received my new pan today ( 2 x4 stainless from Stainless Creations $275.00 plus shipping) and think I have time to build my new arch. If not enough time, some concrete block arch will go up in a hurry, lol !!

I am wondering if anyone has their arch and is happy with their dimensions.

I did make an arch last year and just used advice here and my thoughts, it worked great but want to improve this next one. First rig was too small.

Can anyone post theirs, like side view dimensions, firebox length then ramp length, then rear length, maybe even total overall length from front to back.

Their are many pics here of some great looking rigs and would love to hear some numbers. If you have any improvements to advise feel free and please do.

Thank-you.

Terry

asknupp
02-27-2014, 07:45 PM
http://mapletrader.com/community/showthread.php?7774-2x4-evap-ideas-....-see-pic-and-blueprint-pics-!&highlight=Davy+Jones

This is what I plan on following this summer. It was directed to me when I asked the Same question. Search Davy Jones and a bunch more plans and ideas will pop up. I think he did a heck of a job.

Z/MAN
02-27-2014, 08:17 PM
I did the Davy Jones deal. Build the firebox deeper!

Big_Eddy
02-28-2014, 10:34 AM
Your pan is 2x4 - therefore the inside dimensions of your arch needs to be 2x4 less 1/2" on all sides to support the edge of the pan.

At 2' wide - you want a 7" or 8" stove pipe. 7" is probably better - less heat up the stack but still lots of draft.

How tall are you? Assuming you're normal height - you want your pan bottom about 30-32" off the ground. That way you can still see in the pans but have as much firebox space as possible.

Firebox - depth - (front door to back wall) should be ~20". Any shorter and you have to cut your wood too short, much longer and you end with the fire too far back. (For a 2x6 or 2x8, I'd increase to 24-30") Leave 6" minimum under the grates for ash - better 8". Add space for firebricks under the ash area - another 2" or so. Make your door as large as you can - but leave at least 4" space above the door to the pan bottom - that prevents you whacking the bottom of the pans while loading wood. The grate should be at least 4" below the bottom of your door to stop coals spilling out when firing.

Ramp Design is up to you. Depends on your pans (flue or flat, divided or not, cross or lengthwise dividers) I wrote something last week to another poster about ramp design. You can search my recent posts.

Add the thickness of your bricks and/or arch insulation to all inside dimensions to come up with your outside frame size. If you think ahead about your brick size and pattern, you can design your arch to match your brick size and minimize the number of bricks that need to be cut.

bamboozled
02-28-2014, 10:35 PM
I built one recently, as was mentioned size your arch to support your pan. I should have made my pan 2" longer and 2" wider, I had to make a bracket out of 1x1 to support the pan. My pan ended up being the exact size of my opening, so at least this way I do get fire to the full bottom of the pan. Oh well, live and learn.

Here is my thread, may help with ideas/sizes. It's sized for a 2x6 pan but you could scale it down.

http://mapletrader.com/community/showthread.php?21971-2x6-Home-Build-Evaporator

Bernie/MA
03-03-2014, 01:32 PM
I made a 2x4 pan for my SIL and used a 275 gallon oil tank for the arch. I left one end of the tank and cut the rest off a foot from that end and about 2 feet down, so it looked like a big baby cradle. I then welded the end from the cut-off part back on to the foot I left, making a skinny tank, and put the smoke stack on the top. I framed up the rest for the pan and wood door.