PDA

View Full Version : Tree Budding 2014

Ma&Pa-sapper
02-27-2014, 03:41 PM
I was surprised and thought it was just a one-off when I saw a 3’ silver maple on the family farm just south of the Md/Pa line yesterday. I just got back from running errands just north of the state line where I am tapping, and noticed several red maples budding on the drive. The sugar and black maples I am tapping are not so far. I haven’t collected much of anything for the last 4 days as everything is all froze up though. I Hope I can catch another good week here on the next warm spell before the other maples start turning.

Are any of you starting to see budding?

happy thoughts
02-27-2014, 04:01 PM
To me "budding" means buds that are opening and beginning to flower. Is that what you're seeing? Or are you just noticing the winter buds that are normally present?

We're a long way off from budding up here. I know it's warmer where you live but think you are still a month or more away from that. Sugaring season has barely begun. There should still be some good runs in a week or so once the weather warms up.

Sandersyrup
02-27-2014, 04:12 PM
Buds aren't even close here in Lancaster. The red and silver maples do however exhibit large round red winter buds.

We haven't even come close to seeing typical season ending signs.

DrTimPerkins
02-27-2014, 05:04 PM
Are any of you starting to see budding?

I can almost guarantee you that you are NOT seeing budding, but you are seeing buds. Trees have buds. If they don't, they are dead. Silver and red maple buds are much larger than sugar maple buds in the winter condition.

Ma&Pa-sapper
02-27-2014, 05:12 PM
I did not look at the silver maple closely, just noticed it through the window. Those buds did indeed look like they were starting to open at a glance, but it is in a sheltered spot with good exposure. The reds on my drive were just looking extra swollen and red. These are the temps since I started tapping where I am located. The temps at the farm usually run 3-5* warmer even though just a 15 minute drive away. I too expect another week or more once it warms up again (going to 3*F tonight), the silver just surprised me.
High and low...
Tuesday, February 18, 2014
41F____21F
Wednesday, February 19, 2014
44_____23
Thursday, February 20, 2014
48_____23
Friday, February 21, 2014
48_____35
Saturday, February 22, 2014
54_____28
Sunday, February 23, 2014
50_____28
Monday, February 24, 2014
35_____22
Tuesday, February 25, 2014
31_____16
Wednesday, February 26, 2014
28_____11

PS; I am just west of the Susquehanna River

GeneralStark
02-27-2014, 06:55 PM
These trees are not budding. You are seeing flower buds on Red and Silver Maples. Every year there are several threads about this. Do a search.

Sandersyrup
02-27-2014, 08:55 PM
I'm getting similar temps 20 min north. I have what I thought were early budding trees but I can tell by the light color of my syrup and my sap flows that the trees are not really even thinking about spring yet. I think we'll need at least 2 solid weeks of nights above 35°F before buds open.

I did however tap my reds early Feb and I do expect the holes to close up soon. I tapped my sugars 2 weeks ago and expect them to produce for 3 more weeks.