PDA

View Full Version : Input

tonka
02-27-2014, 11:45 AM
What dose a person have to go through to be able to sell their syrup for wholesale in Mn? I would love to be able to run several thousand taps and sell the syrup where ever I can. I read in a thread that was posted a while back that talked about some of the rules and regulations about jarring room and if you sold under $5000 worth of syrup you didn't have to worry about taxs if it was all off your own land. For those who do sell wholesale, any input/advise is welcome and appriciated!!

SDdave
02-27-2014, 01:27 PM
Tonka,

I may not be able to help at all, but have you called anyone within the state government departments? I live in a different state but the state officials in various departments I talked to were glad to help and to answer any questions that I may have had. Give them a try. Hopefully you can get the answers that you need.

SDdave

happy thoughts
02-27-2014, 05:08 PM
Tonka- If someone from your state doesn't jump in, I found this page that may help you with contact info in your state-

http://www.mnmaple.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=211&Itemid=137#ls

They have this to say:

Q. I love making maple syrup. I add taps every year, and I now have more than my family and friends can use. I think I’d like to sell to the public. Do I need a state license to do that? How do I obtain a license?

A. Generally speaking, a license from the MN Dept. of Ag is required to legally sell maple syrup to the public unless all sap is obtained from trees on your own land and no other “off farm” inputs are used in your operation (i.e. sap from neighbors). However, all maple operations selling to the public are subject to inspections by the MN Dept. of Ag, though the enforcement of that provision cannot be confirmed. The best advice we can give is to contact your local MN Department of Agriculture inspector by calling the MN Dept. of Ag at 651-201-6315 or Email at LIS.Info@state.mn.us .There are many rules and regulations regarding licensing and the types of licenses that may required depending on your operation. Your inspector can listen to your plans and your specific circumstances and tell you what is and what is not required.

When you call, you should ask about registering with the FDA if you haven't already done so. Any one you sell to bulk will probably require it.

There are separate laws in MN that cover farm market sales. From what I saw that's where the $5,000 limit you mention applies. But it's not for taxes. There shouldn't be any taxes on syrup in MN from what I saw. Instead it applies to the sales limit before you need to be fully licensed.

tonka
02-27-2014, 07:05 PM
Thanks guys for taking the time to respond! I will have to contact the Department of Ag and get some more in depth answers on being licensed and everything else with rules and regulations for the state.

tonka
02-27-2014, 07:30 PM
The inspectors that would inspect the syrup operation, are they the same inspectors that inspect milking facilities on dairy farms?

Birddog
02-28-2014, 11:44 AM
I wish I knew so I could help you but I haven't sold any. Hopefully someone will jump in and answer. I do remember seeing something from the department of agriculture on their website that discussed selling at a farmers Market. Good luck and please post what you learn!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tonka
02-28-2014, 12:51 PM
I emailed MDA asking about licensing, inspection, and the sale of maple syrup and received a link http://www.mda.state.mn.us/~/media/Files/food/business/startingfoodbiz.ashx . In order to be licensed, your facility has to be inspected and the inspector is the one who licenses you or not, depending on how the inspection went.