PDA

View Full Version : Drop tube flue pan questions

jag208
02-27-2014, 09:50 AM
Hi, I'm a newbe and have a few questions using a drop tube flue pan. First off, as the sap boils down does the heavy sap rise to the top and the lighter stay down? I understand this is not your finishing pan but as the sap continues out of this pan into your next pan what keeps the heavier sap from settling into the bottom of the tubes? Does the incoming sap just push the heavier sap towards the front of the pan and out into the next pan or do you get a constant mixing of heavy / lighter sap? I guess if someone could just explain the sap travel into, through and out of this type pan is what I'm asking or if this has already been answered, could you direct me to the correct forum.

Another question, if making your own drop tube flue pan, is there a ratio for the length of tubes vs depth of pan?

Thanks in advance of info,
John

madmapler
02-27-2014, 01:39 PM
I made a drop tube pan last year and the way that thing boiled, you wont have to worry about any settling. It'll stay mixed for sure.

moondog
02-27-2014, 02:28 PM
I added drop tubes to 2 of my buffet water pans for this year. I had read in a different post that someone had added 6" tubes and was worried about boiling over, so I added 4" tubes to mine. In a test boil, they both boiled like crazy and I think 4" is good for my setup. I'm not worried about heavy/light sap as everything is mixed up as it boils-drop tubes or not. It just gets more concentrated as it moves from pan to pan.