PDA

View Full Version : RO build vs Evaporator upgrade

Oddmott
02-26-2014, 10:42 AM
Hey all,

We finally got the budget and time to build our new evaporator (2' x 6') and I'm already concerned that it won't be able to handle the sap load.

First, because we're able to expand to 300 or 400 taps if we wanted to. And second, because it's a handmade boiler by novices who don't really know what it takes to build a great evaporator. It could end up evaporating 30gpr or only 5... who knows.

So, i'm wondering, if it isn't able to handle the load, would we be further ahead to just build/buy an RO to reduce the amount of boiling required or to look at building/buying a bigger & better evaporator?

Thoughts?

Big_Eddy
02-26-2014, 11:11 AM
All depends on what your intentions are.

Are you making syrup for fun or profit?
How much syrup do you want to make (do you have a market for it) ?
Do you have power and heat available at your sugar shack?

For someone trying to make a profit at syrup-making, investing in an RO likely has a much better payoff than investing in a bigger evaporator. It will certainly reduce the amount of time spent boiling by a lot more than would doubling evaporator size. And the energy costs for running an RO are a lot lower than evaporating that amount of water. An RO can remove up to 3/4 of the water - therefore with an RO your existing evaporator can process 4x as much sap in the same time and at essentially the same operating cost. No brainer.

If you're making syrup for fun and good family time - an RO isn't the answer. No steam, no fire, no smoke, no risk of boiling over, no burnt gloves or singed eyebrows. Flip the switch, walk away, come back later. Power is needed, freezing is bad (expensive!).

Given your situation - 150 trees this year, distant sugar house, I'd recommend building a flue pan for the back of your arch next summer. You can then handle 200-300 trees if you want, you'll make more syrup than you and your family can consume and you'll have fun doing it.

My 2 cents worth - 'course given the CDN gov't rounds down, it's worth exactly nothing.

Oddmott
02-26-2014, 11:40 AM
Our final intentions haven't really been solidified yet.

For now we're content to just make a ridiculous amount of syrup for personal consumption and the odd gift to friends and family.

But, I think my dad would love to sell it at farmers markets in his semi-retirement, and we have access to close to 2000 trees that could be tapped - 700 on our own property and 1300 on a neighbours.

I think we'd probably like to hit 500 taps and try sales at that point. Which i think would be achievable with an RO introduced to the process and many long boils on the existing boiler. We also have another small 18" x 30" pan and evaporator we can fire up in a pinch to help out with a heavy sap run.

motowbrowne
02-26-2014, 12:12 PM
Well, do you like cutting and burning firewood, or plumbing? Personally I'd buy a bigger evaporator before thinking about an RO. ROs are not cheap, and not simple. What's your budget for building a evaporator? I'd consider skipping the build (like you say, maybe 30gph, maybe 5. sounds like an expensive experiment) and buy a used 3x10. You can handle a lot of sap with a decent evaporator, and it will work like it's supposed to. Also, you could build your arch and buy pans, new or used. check out A&A metal shop, or smokey lake. There are plenty of profitable commercial operations that don't run RO machines.

wiam
02-26-2014, 09:09 PM
I have never heard someone say " I wish I never bought my RO. "

My RO has bought me a lot of time.

Russell Lampron
02-27-2014, 05:28 AM
In your case I would stick with the 2x6 that you've just built but buy or make a flue pan for it. A 2x6 with a flue pan will handle up to 300 taps with a few long nights to keep up on the big runs. When you expand into your 700 tap potential buy or build an RO. I have 700 taps on vacuum and 100 on buckets and make 200 or so gallons of syrup with 2x6 and RO. It only takes about 3 cords of wood to do it too. My plan for the future is to sell my current RO and purchase a 600gph RO and keep my 2x6. I have the potential to double or more my current vacuum tap count. Don't worry about producing too much syrup, it will always sell.

stoweski
02-27-2014, 05:29 AM
I will let you know at the end of the season. I have a 2x6 with around 300 taps. Adding a homebuilt RO and will see what happens. Just make the sap flow so I can run it!

Can tell you that if you don't like problem solving or plumbing, buy one of Ray's RO's as it's the same price as the one I'm building. It's been fun to build but with so many variations out there it's tough coming to a consensus on what parts to use and the design of it. Everyone has an opinion (and different talents) that they're willing to share but when it comes down to it they aren't there to help build it.

Oddmott
02-27-2014, 07:59 AM
Thanks for the feedback all.

Some good points made for either approach.

Our pans aren't finished yet and may have some flue elements to them. Depends on time and welder's ability. If not, we'll make do for a season or two and then buy a couple with all the bells and whistles.

Bentley Wood Maple
02-27-2014, 01:49 PM
Have a home made 2x6 with 4.5 inch raised flues. It gets 25 gallons per hr, 30 gph when everything is exceptional. 2013 +2014 we are around 375 taps and that is the most we can put through it or we would have kept adding taps.