PDA

View Full Version : blower to stove transition?

eustis22
02-26-2014, 07:23 AM
Has anyone fabricated a blower transition fitting? I have a very small blower with a 3 inch rectangular outlet that I am currently blowing thru my open door but it's too high for the draft to be AUF. What I want to do is cut a hole in my stove under the grates, slide a piece of holed exhaust pipe under the grates and then transition from the square end of the blower to the round end of the exhaust pipe. However, I am not a metal fabricator and have no idea what I'd use to transition between the two. I don't really want to connect the blower directly to my stove as it's not practical based on my configuration. I could use some ideas.

Shawn
02-26-2014, 07:49 AM
what we did was to use the ash or draft door below our arch door, took the draft door plate off and I went to home depot and got a round furnace type pipe and a small section of flat furnace piece. Cut the furnace sheet to the draft door size and ours has a slot so I was able to slide the sheet into the opening. I also cut a hole in the furnace sheet stuck the end of the furnace pipe in this and the other end over the end of our blower. Ours is in the front, to restrict the flow we use a piece of the section of furnace sheet and it has worked well for us for five years now

lpakiz
02-26-2014, 07:54 AM
Eustis,
Could you insert (force) a 3 inch outside diameter pipe into the square opening, then plug the 4 corners with high temp silicone or furnace cement? Things will get warm there, but not too arm for orange silicone. Secure it with 4 sheet metal screws.
You might be able to "square up" the pipe somewhat in a vise, or even with a hammer. Take the ball off of your ball hitch and use the tongue as an anvil.
Much easier would be to find a friend who can weld. Fab a square plate that fits the fan flange, cut (hole saw) the 3 inch hole out of the plate, insert your pipe and weld. Seal any holes with orange hi-temp silicone.

eustis22
02-26-2014, 10:59 AM
I do have a friend with a welder...I'll take that up with him

harrison6jd
02-26-2014, 11:17 AM
ypu may be able to fit your 3 inch rectangular fan into a 4 inch section of flex pipe. the kind used in pellet stove smoke stacks. then cut a 4 inch round hole under you grates. then you can move the fan around with the flex pipe depending on your configuration. hope this helps.

maple flats
02-26-2014, 11:53 AM
If you go to either Lowes or Home Depot (or most full line hardware stores) you can buy a piece of panning tin. This is fairly thin and easily bent. Just plan the bends so you make a transition (from 3x3 to the draft door size). Lay the tin on a flat surface and put a piece of full length wood to hold it flat, right at the edge of the support surface. Then take another length of wood to push down, right close to the support surface. Doing this you can bend a rather neat 90 degree angle. The tin will likely be 24 to 36" long. Using tin snips and that bending method you can make 1 side at a time. Since the piece will be tapered big time, alternate the sides as you make each side. Make each long piece (will be the top and bottom sections) with a 1" lip that you bend by man power. Then the sides can just be flat. Use zip screws to screw it together (zip screws are 1/2" long, have a very sharp point and with a 1/4" hex head). They fit nicely in a 1/4" socket, and most 1/4" sockets fit into a 1/2" cordless drill chuck. You won't need to drill holes, just push in while supporting the 2 pieces of tin being joined. You can hold tight to a board running inside. After joining, unscrew them, remove the board and screw back together. After done, use duct tape to seal the corners so no one gets cut on the sharp corners. You may need 1 or possibly 2 sheets of panning tin. It will be your first successful tin working project and will work just fine. It's easier than you think.

CincySyrupPusher
02-26-2014, 12:00 PM
http://shop.gutterworks.com/Commercial-tile-adapters.html

Pricey... but gives an idea

5050racing
02-26-2014, 12:22 PM
89048903My arch is a 275 oil tank I used the top of the tank for the arch wich has a couple 2" holes the one that is about a foot from my door I threaded a street 90 male one end female 2" to 3" that a piece of 4" ppe fits nice over fitting but can easy remove if something gets in it than above it inside I put a 8" diameter 1/4 steel plate spaced 2" off the hole so ash can't clog it and WOW this little blower does unreal,never really needed to add any anti foam to sap but now a must,I will take pics and post but now I have to insulate the door the rest is firebrick lined,the door looks like its glass but that's how red it gets!

seclark
03-02-2014, 10:55 AM
Eustis. did you get your transition made.I am a retired sheet metal mechanic with a small shop and have made all kinds of transitions.Problem is I'm in central N.Y.

eustis22
03-02-2014, 11:08 AM
I've spent the weekend cutting the hole for the pipe, blowing up my drill, buying a new drill, FINISH cutting the hole for the pipe, cutting the pipe, drill exhaust holes in the pipe, re-positioning my grates to allow the pipe to fit underneath, buying extra bricks to raise the grates to allow the pipe to fit underneath, moving another brick to cut in half the size of my stack hole, going to the neighbors to make sure the reciprocal syrup for sap tapping agreement is in place, getting nearly attacked by my neighbors black lab who thinks anyone approaching the side closest to my house is a Comanche and therefore bite-worthy, waiting for the aforementioned black lab to be safely housed so I can return from the mission with the same number of parts I left with, securing said agreement, seeing some wet around my taps so planting in as many as I can safely bucket, and then coming in here and facing all this pressure.

And you think a little finger wiggling is wonderful? hmm?

I picked up some 2 1/2 inch stainless steel flex tube from a bike shop, and I have an idea I might could make a gutter downspout fit from cincy's post below....sheet metal screw it to the blower opening, then the s/s tubing over the spout.

5050racing
03-02-2014, 04:45 PM
89778978 Here is my half azz hook up just wanted to see if it was going to help and did it !!!!,I should get the model # of motor and I will but it has 3 speeds and I was able to finish syrup on the evaporator with only 2 qt in the pan operating the 3 speeds to control temp work un real.remember I have the top of the oil tank as my evaporator witch has the 2" hole in there already but you can cut it yourself,notice the distance from the door about 12" back works great!!! 8984 now I need to insulate the door and I will.