PDA

View Full Version : Digital Thermometer

dblact38
02-25-2014, 03:51 PM
I finished boiling down my syrup on my stove today, my digital thermometer gave me all kinds of crazy readings. Can anyone recommend one that wont go crazy on me when Its time for syrup

Brad W Wi
02-25-2014, 04:12 PM
Trust your hydrometer.

KGodshall
02-25-2014, 05:17 PM
I like Taylor's 1470N. Only issue is that if the probe/cable is exposed to very high temperatures (inside of a BBQ), or if it's damaged, it won't read accurately. There is a steel braided probe available, but it costs as much as buying an entirely new unit.

I would suggest the hydrometer, but I'm probably in the same boat as you: I don't do large batches and what I finish off is very rarely over a quart or 2. Trying to fill the cup and get a reading is a bit out of the question. Therefore, I've been using the digital thermometer, and I'm very happy with my results (all of my syrup is for my own use and for gifts to family and friends).

Best.

johnallin
02-25-2014, 06:32 PM
Take a look at Maple Guys web site - they are also the sponsors of this site, and the reason you don't get asked for a "donation"... - they have lots of them.
http://www.mapleguys.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=SRCH

Good luck this year - if we can ever get started!

happy thoughts
02-25-2014, 07:30 PM
If you're going by temperature alone then learn what is meant by sheeting - when syrup no longer forms single drips off the side side of a spoon.but drips off as a sheet. Just use the temp as a guideline as to when to look for changes. It's almost never syrup at the temp you think it should be.

If you think your finished syrup is on the thin side, you can always keep it refrigerated or freeze it for longer keeping. (If it's at or above proper density it won't freeze solid)

Pibster
02-26-2014, 10:36 AM
Look up Thermopen on the web. It's an excellent product. Instant temperature readout. Mine gets me close and I use a hydrotherm to finish.

CincySyrupPusher
02-26-2014, 11:57 AM
If you're going by temperature alone then learn what is meant by sheeting - when syrup no longer forms single drips off the side side of a spoon.but drips off as a sheet. Just use the temp as a guideline as to when to look for changes. It's almost never syrup at the temp you think it should be.

If you think your finished syrup is on the thin side, you can always keep it refrigerated or freeze it for longer keeping. (If it's at or above proper density it won't freeze solid)

Agree with this... we use the DT you get at Bed Bath & Beyond (http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/Oneida-Digital-Thermometer-with-Timer/120845?Keyword=thermometer) and it alerts when we are "close" (217 to 219, depending on Humidity that day) then we look at the spoon sheeting to determine when it's Done.

dblact38
02-27-2014, 05:46 AM
Thankyou all for the replies