PDA

View Full Version : R/O information

Bob Shields
12-10-2006, 08:14 PM
I have bought a Osmonics RO. model # 19C maple/ro -30.
It is around 14years old, but seems to be in good shape.
There was not a manual with it, and I know nothing about operating an ro.
I emailed Osmonics,they foreworded it to costumer service, but that is the extent of help from them so far.
Does anyone out there have any experience with this unit?
It has a 4" X 40" membrane and should be able to handle about 100 gal. per hour.
I only have 550 taps, but was concerned about the price of oil.
A new leader Hero is around $4500, so if I can get this unit operating I should be well ahead of the game, if not I will have some parts.
If someone would have a manual for this unit I would be glad to pay for coping and postage.
One thing in my favor is it has very little in way of bells and whistles.
Any info would be helpful.

Bob

Russell Lampron
12-12-2006, 05:40 AM
Bob,

I don't have any specific instructions for this R/O. Basic operating instructions for most R/O's is to start the feed pump and once you get a stable pressure over 25lbs start the high pressure pump. Adjust the pressure of the high pressure pump to as close to 500psi as possible, I'm not sure if yours has an automatic shut off if there is too much pressure. Next you want to adjust the concentrate flow to get around 8% sugar content. This will probably be somewhere in the 1/2 to 3/4 gal per minute range.

Send the concentrated sap to your feed tank. You will want to have a collection tank to save all of the filtrate water to clean the machine after each use. You will also need a smaller tank about 5 to 10 gals to use for your cleaning solution.

Russ

Mike
12-12-2006, 08:24 AM
Is 5/10 gals of water enough to clean your RO?????? Is that enough to clean it up good????

maplwrks
12-12-2006, 12:03 PM
10-15 gallons of cleaning solution should be enough. I don't think that a springtech R/O has any more than that. Besides, it's only a 4" membrane.

Bob Shields
12-12-2006, 03:56 PM
Russ,
Thank you for the informantion.
This ro does not have a feed pump. I guess you would call it a gravity feed like the Hero. The pump it has is a one & a half horse power pump.
The pressuer gauge goes up to 300#.
I don't know if a small feed pump could be added or not. I would like to run a 5 micron water filter ahead of the unit, but I don't know with gravity feed enough sap would come through. It may take a feed pump to keep enough sap to the high pressure pump.

Bob

Russell Lampron
12-12-2006, 05:39 PM
Mike,

I think my wash tank is about 10 gallons. The r/o machine recirculates the soap solution thru the tank as you are cleaning. My machine slowly heats the solution as it is circulating thru and automaticly shuts off at 43 degrees celcius.

Bob,

Adding a feed pump and prefilter to your RO is a good idea. With a feed pump you won't have to have a tank up off of the ground somewhere to gravity feed the RO. The pre filter will protect your membrane by catching alot of the small dirt that can clog it up.

Russ

brookledge
12-12-2006, 08:09 PM
Bob
As far as I know there was no gravity feed ROs in the early 90s. I remember the ROs back then used piston pumps to get the pressure up real high and it seams like there was a supply pump and then a high pressure pump and you needed both or it will not work.
Good luck and I hope you get it working.
Keith

mapleguy
12-15-2006, 10:31 AM
You must remember that you need to rinse the RO after washing to get the cleaning soultion out of the membrane, for a 4 x 40 membrane you should have at least 100 gallons of filtrate to rinse with. If you have a slow day with only a small amount of sap to put through you may not need to wash with soultion, just rinse with the filtrate to get the sugar out of the machine to prevent bacteria build up.

802maple
12-15-2006, 03:27 PM
Actually if you use it you should wash and rinse everyday, it is just like your own breakfast plate, it doesn't matter if you have 1 egg or 2 it is still dirty

Russell Lampron
12-15-2006, 06:44 PM
I wash and rinse mine every time I use it that is why I said that Bob would need a tank to save all of his filtrate water. I have used mine for 2 (short) seasons and not noticed a drop off in efficiency yet. Hoping for a better season this year.

Russ

Bob Shields
12-15-2006, 07:17 PM
Thank each one of you for your info on operating an ro.
I knew it was to be rinsed after using , but didn't understand it was to get rid of the sugar on the membrane to cut bace on bacteria build up an growth.
What do you check Ph for? Is that to make sure you get all the cleaning solution (acid) out of the membrane to prevent off flavor in your syrup.

Thanks again for all the comments. Sometimes the smallest comment can spark a new thought.

Bob

mapleguy
12-17-2006, 08:36 PM
Checking the PH of your washing solution is done to control the amount of washing agent you put in the wash water, normally with newer membranes the PH of your wash solution should not be more than 10-11. This is to prevent damage to the membrane. Some cleaning agents sayy to put a cup or so in the wash tank - many times this amount is too much.Add a small amount , then check the PH, if too low add a bit more. First time or two it will be a guessing game, then you will have a reference amount after a couple washes. Track your RO preformance daily and only wash when it starts to drop. However as others have said, rinse after every use with lots of filtrate.

Bob Shields
01-13-2007, 07:22 PM
I purchased a new Filmteck 4' X40" membrane. It came packaged in two plastic bags or coverings. A note on the bag states it is treated with a bacteria treatment and should be flushed for one hour befor using.
What do you flush with, plain water or do you use some type of cleaner.
What do most people do to prepare their RO's after being stored since last spring

Thank you,
Bob Shields

Parker
01-14-2007, 04:45 AM
What is the model # of the membrane? Curious after what I have heard at the diffrent maple schools I went to.....

maplwrks
01-14-2007, 03:34 PM
Parker,
Did you hear Peter Purintontalk in the R/O round table saturday? He runs Hydranautics membranes in his R/O and cleans them with Clorox!!!

maplwrks
01-14-2007, 03:39 PM
Bob,
I run 350 gallons of water through mine to clean the preservative out of it. Set it to concentrate, run it all through, then rinse with water in your "permeate" tank.

Bob Shields
01-14-2007, 08:09 PM
Parker,

I bought a NF270-4040. It is rated at 126 gph. I understand it will pass a small amount ??? of sugar at higher concentrations.
I was looking also at a Hydranautics CPA2-4040 rated at 2250 gpd ,but was advised to staway from Hydranautics membranes.

Bob Shields

Bob Shields
01-14-2007, 08:15 PM
Maplwrks,
Thanks for the info. Is it well or spring water that has been run through a water softner?
I thought I had been reading to keep chlorine away from a membrane.

Bob Shields

maplwrks
01-15-2007, 06:02 AM
Well water

gearpump
01-15-2007, 05:26 PM
Maplewrks, In my so called manual for my Lapierre RO it says not to concentrate water. I had my membranes cleaned by the company and I was going to do a rinse cylce to flush them out. Is a concentration cycle with water a better idea? I guess it would depend how much you close the bypass valve and bring up the pressure?

Marty

Russell Lampron
01-15-2007, 06:03 PM
Marty,

Run a concentration cycle but keep the pressure low, just enough to force a little water thru the membranes. You only need enough to get the storage solution out of them.

Russ

maplwrks
01-15-2007, 06:12 PM
Right on Russell!! With my Lapierre w/2 membranes I can close the bypass all the way and still stay below 200 psi. Just let it idle through, then rinse it with the r/o'd water. Ready to go!