PDA

View Full Version : Sugarbush lease including sugarhouse

steam maker
02-25-2014, 09:08 AM
So i talked to a friend recently that was offered a bush to tap with a large tap count , but the owners want him to use the sugarhouse on site😞 he already has a operating sugarhouse at his home. Has anyone ever ran into this issue ? Should he pursue or just walk away? The more i think about it if it was written up rite with a good lease maybe its worth it , idk maybe offer more money per tap to take it to his sugarhouse?

happy thoughts
02-25-2014, 09:39 AM
I'm sure those of us with no sugarhouse would be glad to be in that position :). But with an already operating sugarhouse I'd probably walk away especially if he'd need to provide wood for fuel. Hauling sap is one thing but hauling firewood on such short notice would make it a deal killer for me. There is also the problem of insurance. Who covers the liability if something happens to the shack? Any idea why the leaser wants the sugarhouse used? Maybe if he presented the problem with firewood and insurance they'd be more willing to just let him make a deal for the sap.

spud
02-25-2014, 09:46 AM
So i talked to a friend recently that was offered a bush to tap with a large tap count , but the owners want him to use the sugarhouse on site😞 he already has a operating sugarhouse at his home. Has anyone ever ran into this issue ? Should he pursue or just walk away? The more i think about it if it was written up rite with a good lease maybe its worth it , idk maybe offer more money per tap to take it to his sugarhouse?

It's possible the owner just wants to be able to walk down to the sugar house to watch the boiling. If he has been sugaring for years and now is unable to sugar then this might be the next best thing for him.

Spud

happy thoughts
02-25-2014, 09:53 AM
That's a really good possibility spud. Once an addict always an addict they say :) If that's the case it might be easier to invite him to the other sugarhouse and maybe even give him rides there and back. Bet there'd be some good stories told either way.

steam maker
02-25-2014, 11:00 AM
Well from what ive been told it wouldnt be happening this year cause of time, and i think they want it done there for the memories of faimly that has done it