PDA

View Full Version : Central Ontario Tapping

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4

Run Forest Run!
03-30-2016, 09:21 PM
Ahhhhhhhhhh, ok maybe that can be it. I tapped all the trees on the south east side.

That's a trick that I learned from this site. If you vary the location of the spiles as you tap, you can help to extend the season a little. Or, at the very least, help to spread out your harvest so it's not all or nothing.

c0ps
03-30-2016, 09:24 PM
Noted. Thank you

BrutemanAl
03-31-2016, 05:35 AM
I'm going to start pulling mine tonight after work, not all of them but probably the ones that are not as fast flowing as some, I am still not caught up on my boiling.

sluggish
03-31-2016, 06:27 AM
Sadly only my neighbor has been able to take some of my sap. The rest will be dumped on the ground. Too bad as it is likely about 100 gallons of sap gone to waste. Maybe not a lot to many others out there but it is a lot for my little setup. Going on holidays Saturday and will not have time to boil before then. Every 5 gallon bucket here is running over so lots is already going to the ground anyway. Can't wait to get my shack built and a bigger evaporator this summer so I can keep up with the flow and not have to dump again next year. Last year I ended up giving away almost 250 gallons. Never again dammit!

c0ps
03-31-2016, 04:50 PM
Started this morning boiling down what I was storing. 200 L of sap boiled! On my last bucket. Think im done.

NTBugtraq
04-01-2016, 09:04 AM
Well, I read a lot of articles about how this spring was going to come early, be much warmer than average, and not last long. Right now things are pretty much right on target for a normal sap run for me. It started a little early, but there are still no buds and my 8 day forecast shows probably 8 sap running days. I don't know why so many of you seem to be finishing early, maybe I have a favorable micro-climate...but I don't see finishing much before the 15th (as usual).

Run Forest Run!
04-01-2016, 03:34 PM
The taps are quiet today, but I still had 100L or so in the sugar bush to collect this afternoon. It's the first time it's been safe to go there in two days because of the high winds. Every container had overflowed. And so begins today's boiling session. :)

c0ps
04-01-2016, 10:09 PM
Man im really being challenged for my first year of making maple syrup. Ice storm, down trees...yesterday I boiled down some sap, just as I thought I was close to start testing with the hydrometer...OMFG! It dropped out of my hand onto the granite countertop and broke. I almost cryed. Needless to say tommorow morning Im running to orillia to purchase another one so I can bring this batch to its proper brix. I think I got it dead on with the themometer but better to be safe.

Run Forest Run!
04-01-2016, 10:26 PM
Nice looking syrup c0ps. You can do a test tonight if you like. Put one of those bottles in the freezer and if the syrup freezes hard then it's too thin. If it ends up more like roof tar then it is the proper brix or even heavier. If it's the latter, you might just want to leave them be. It might save you the trip tomorrow and you can pick up a replacement hydrometer when you aren't having to make a special trip. You can also order one online from Home Hardware and have it sent to the Bolton store.

c0ps
04-01-2016, 10:39 PM
Thanks Karen. Just put one in the freezer

Run Forest Run!
04-01-2016, 10:42 PM
Thanks Karen. Just put one in the freezer

Update us tomorrow on what happened!

BrutemanAl
04-02-2016, 05:20 AM
Nice looking syrup c0ps. You can do a test tonight if you like. Put one of those bottles in the freezer and if the syrup freezes hard then it's too thin. If it ends up more like roof tar then it is the proper brix or even heavier. If it's the latter, you might just want to leave them be. It might save you the trip tomorrow and you can pick up a replacement hydrometer when you aren't having to make a special trip. You can also order one online from Home Hardware and have it sent to the Bolton store.

Here is something strange, I always put my syrup in the freezer just to check and see if anything freeze's, I have a refractometer but I still use the freezer just incase. I had 5 mason jars in the freezer in our fridge in the house, they were there for a few weeks, never froze, just got thick like Karen explained it.... roofing tar. I put them in the freezer in our garage... they are froze :( This threw me for a loop when I opened the freezer door and saw it, never had it do this before.

Do I thaw them out and added them to syrup I am boiling? Or say screw it !!! and give them to the Neighbors lol

c0ps
04-02-2016, 07:24 AM
Update us tomorrow on what happened!

So I checked the syrup in the freezer this morning. Didn't freeze at all. Thanks Karen for the tip.

c0ps
04-02-2016, 07:30 AM
Here is something strange, I always put my syrup in the freezer just to check and see if anything freeze's, I have a refractometer but I still use the freezer just incase. I had 5 mason jars in the freezer in our fridge in the house, they were there for a few weeks, never froze, just got thick like Karen explained it.... roofing tar. I put them in the freezer in our garage... they are froze :( This threw me for a loop when I opened the freezer door and saw it, never had it do this before.

Do I thaw them out and added them to syrup I am boiling? Or say screw it !!! and give them to the Neighbors lol

After Karen told me to do this I read up on it...It says if maple sugar is at a brix of 50% a house hold fridge at -18 degree can freeze it solid. At 66 brix you would need a commercial freezer or dry ice to freeze it. So I'm guessing because it didn't freeze in your fridge inside, but did on your fridg outside. Your sitting somewhere between 58 and 64

cat tech
04-02-2016, 11:20 AM
Forget about expensive tools, cook until it start to foam and then uses a wood spoon and keep dipping the spoon until the syrup starts to gather on the edge of the spoon.

BrutemanAl
04-03-2016, 05:05 AM
Yesterday Morning I pulled everything but 1 tree, I left my best producing tree just in-case I need some more, I dumped everything back into the ground, figure I dumped about 200L. Kids just couldn't understand why I was dumping it, but they will learn. I am almost caught back up with boiling, the sap tsunami came at the wrong time for me, if it had of been a week or 2 earlier I would have been fine, but it caught me off guard a bit, and I just couldn't keep up nor did I have the room to store it. Definitely shouldn't have added more taps a few weeks ago when I was afraid the season was going to suck, that's one reason I just couldn't keep up.
Oh well each year is a learning experience

Galena
04-03-2016, 01:04 PM
Tell the kids you're dumping it cause you already have a lot, and the trees are thirsty :-)

Run Forest Run!
04-03-2016, 05:14 PM
What a welcome relief with the freezing temperatures. It's such a luxury to be able to catch up on the sap without worrying that it's going to go bad, or that more is filling the buckets while you are boiling. *sigh* It seems we've got several more days of quiet in the forest before the taps thaw again.

Run Forest Run!
04-03-2016, 09:32 PM
Finished boiling up batches #5a (propane boiled) #5b (wood boiled) and #6. That added 8.6L in bottles now settling on the counter. I've never boiled that much syrup in so little time. Batch #6 has that unmistakable rich maple flavour that I had never been able to achieve in past years. I hope that means that the sap I'm now collecting will continue to yield more of that great taste.

c0ps
04-04-2016, 05:53 PM
Awsome Karen! You think more sap will run this week?

Galena
04-04-2016, 07:39 PM

Karen seems to be AWOL, but I do think the answer to your question is definitely yes. Will it be more or less than the previous sap tsunami? Impossible to say.

Run Forest Run!
04-04-2016, 07:52 PM

I sure do c0ps! In fact, I hate to tell you this but, some of the holes that I drilled in my downed trees were dripping today... You'd better check your fallen soldiers in case they are too.

c0ps
04-04-2016, 08:13 PM
Lol, to late. I chopped them all up

Run Forest Run!
04-04-2016, 08:28 PM
Wow, you sure don't let the grass grow under your feet do you? I'm impressed. I'm pretty positive you are going to see lots more sap in a day or two - from the other trees of course, not the ones you chopped up. lol

NTBugtraq
04-05-2016, 06:16 AM

Its worth remembering that syrup with a brix lower than 66 can possibly spoil if not kept refrigerated.

What a welcome relief with the freezing temperatures. It's such a luxury to be able to catch up on the sap without worrying that it's going to go bad, or that more is filling the buckets while you are boiling. *sigh* It seems we've got several more days of quiet in the forest before the taps thaw again.

I totally agree Karen, a very welcome respite.

sinker
04-05-2016, 08:59 AM
I think I got enough rest for another run to happen now.

Finished 7 litres last night. Darker than the rest of my syrup, but sooo tasty!

That's 32L finished so far. 1270L of sap, 630 of which came in 4 days. My best year yet, but I added 20 more taps this year, up to 46.

I'm all cleaned up and ready for another run now. Bring it on!

S.

Run Forest Run!
04-06-2016, 01:36 PM
It doesn't get any better than 'dipping from the well of frozen goodness'. The stuff on top was over 4%, the stuff on the bottom was 5%. It's really interesting how the sugar falls to the bottom of the container so that the sweetest sap is always the last stuff. Today's boil should go really well with this super sweet sap. I hope to see some fresh sap tomorrow when the temperature rises well above freezing. I should be all ready for it!

NTBugtraq
04-06-2016, 02:26 PM
It doesn't get any better than 'dipping from the well of frozen goodness'. The stuff on top was over 4%, the stuff on the bottom was 5%. It's really interesting how the sugar falls to the bottom of the container so that the sweetest sap is always the last stuff. Today's boil should go really well with this super sweet sap. I hope to see some fresh sap tomorrow when the temperature rises well above freezing. I should be all ready for it!

http://mapletrader.com/community/attachment.php?attachmentid=14167&stc=1

Just think for a second...the more sugar, the thicker it is, the more it migrates towards the draw-off spigot on a level arch...whether that's 67 brix or 4...;-]

Ghs57
04-06-2016, 09:26 PM
It doesn't get any better than 'dipping from the well of frozen goodness'. The stuff on top was over 4%, the stuff on the bottom was 5%. It's really interesting how the sugar falls to the bottom of the container so that the sweetest sap is always the last stuff. Today's boil should go really well with this super sweet sap. I hope to see some fresh sap tomorrow when the temperature rises well above freezing. I should be all ready for it!j

5%! I would probably do something illegal to get near that percentage. I never even saw 2%. No wonder your syrup is so light. Here's hoping you get another big run, or two.

Run Forest Run!
04-06-2016, 09:46 PM
Here's hoping you get another big run, or two.

Thanks Gary!

Galena
04-07-2016, 06:31 AM
Wowo Karen, I bet you're not dumping any of that ice!!! And you know all about making stuff...well...last night I brought home a KitchenAid stand mixer, dumped in a cup of light syrup and put it to work...I saw in the manual that the paddle shouldn't contact sides of bowl so I fiddled with the setting of it...anyway...I got maple sugar all right, but it's powdered! It's like icing sugar, and all I wanted was granulated! So now I've adjusted the thingy up a little so I can try to make granulated tonight :-)

Run Forest Run!
04-07-2016, 08:20 AM
For sure I'll be testing the melting sap from that all that ice for sugar content before I start to dump any of it. It sure didn't take long yesterday to boil down that sugary sap. It's finishing on the stove right now.

Galena, I'd bet that powdered maple sugar would be fabulous sprinkled over fresh berries or dusted over waffles for garnish.

Bushfrosh
04-07-2016, 10:55 AM
Galena, I'd bet that powdered maple sugar would be fabulous sprinkled over fresh berries or dusted over waffles for garnish.

When I get crystals at the bottom of a jar, my wife sometimes uses them for her tea. So, the powder could work for that too!

Super Sapper
04-07-2016, 11:12 AM
My sugar has been turning out the same way. I think I read that you need to let it cool more before mixing and you will get more of a granulated sugar. I will try that next time I make sugar.

Galena
04-07-2016, 04:20 PM
OK, supersapper, and feel free to share your results with me either here via pm, please! I'll visit the candymaking thread and see what I can find there too.

Run Forest Run!
04-07-2016, 04:22 PM
Got 60L from 15 sugar maple taps that had started to thaw this afternoon. They are all dripping aggressively! Looks like boiling is in my future. :D

NTBugtraq
04-07-2016, 06:11 PM
I made 17.3L today with a brix of 68.5...one of these days I have to actually learn how to turn that into 67 brix. Out of today's batch I made a customer's wedding gifts for the people coming to their wedding...120 x 50mL maple leaf bottles...cute. I usually sold those for $5 ea, but I made a deal with the couple to sell them for $2.57, which makes me as much profit on the syrup as if I'd sold them in 1L bottles but doesn't make me a dime on the bottles themselves. All I know is at least 60 (and possibly a lot more) people who have never had my syrup may taste it.

No sap today, the variation in temperature was just too small.

canadian_diesel1964
04-07-2016, 06:17 PM
I also got 60 surprising litres this morning and it's boiled but way lighter like the season has reset...this my first year and I love it!

BrutemanAl
04-10-2016, 07:20 AM
So my syrup that is frozen in my freezer, should I thaw it out and reboil it? I have about 15 L of "nearup" that I am going to finish today, should I add the frozen stuff to the "nearup" ?

Galena
04-10-2016, 08:10 AM
May as well, esp if you're wrapping up for the season.

Run Forest Run!
04-10-2016, 09:56 AM
Hey Al. I'm curious as to why you'd want to reboil your finished syrup? If it's already proper brix, why make more niter and have to refilter all over again? I'd just boil your nearup to syrup and call it a day. Maybe Susan knows the inside scoop, or perhaps she wants to follow the cloud of steam to your place for pancakes? ;)

BrutemanAl
04-10-2016, 01:14 PM
Because I put it in the freezer and it froze solid

Run Forest Run!
04-10-2016, 01:48 PM
Because I put it in the freezer and it froze solid

Ahhhh. Got it.

Galena
04-10-2016, 05:15 PM
Hehe, I just kinda guessed that there was a reason that Al, a former chef, would consider messing around with syrup that wasn't perfect...and of course I want someone else to make me pancakes! :-)

Run Forest Run!
04-10-2016, 10:37 PM
So glad that we are having another freezing rain storm tonight. There are still a few more trees around here that need to get pulled out of the ground or have limbs broken from. :mad:

BrutemanAl
04-11-2016, 05:26 AM
I reheated it and got it to the right brix this time, not sure how well everything filtered though, it's so dark and hard to see threw the bottle's. I will wait till I get home tonight to have a look when its brighter outside. One I did notice what looked to be blobs hanging in suspension, so hopefully they are not all like that, can't remember what I need to do to correct this, I know someone had posted about this in one of the threads.

Galena
04-11-2016, 07:31 AM
Let it sit overnight and check again in the morning for Mount Nitre in the bottom :-)

NTBugtraq
04-12-2016, 03:03 PM
The temperatures were ideal between yesterday and today, yet I only got ~10 gallons of sap. Temperatures are going to be ideal again overnight, so hopefully tomorrow will be an even better day. Meanwhile, in just a few hours of boiling I managed to make 12L of syrup. I'm still only half way to my last year's total.

MikeV
04-12-2016, 04:46 PM
The temperatures were ideal between yesterday and today, yet I only got ~10 gallons of sap. Temperatures are going to be ideal again overnight, so hopefully tomorrow will be an even better day. Meanwhile, in just a few hours of boiling I managed to make 12L of syrup. I'm still only half way to my last year's total.

Just 20 minutes south of Bobcaygeon ran like crazy again. Since yesterday evening to 5 pm today - approx 800 litres on 110 taps with 3/16" tubing

Run Forest Run!
04-12-2016, 05:31 PM
Out of control here today too. The soft maples are dwindling, but got 100L from 15 sugar maple taps (all had overflowed and were running hard) and another 20L from 4 soft taps. The freeze overnight should yield some nice 'chuckable' ice!

Lespetras
04-13-2016, 10:53 AM
Just logged in first time in a while and can't believe the seasons still on! That's great fir everyone!! I tapped out over 2 weeks ago.. the weather has cetainly been amazing for maple syrup making!

Run Forest Run!
04-13-2016, 11:11 AM
It's going to be a drippy day here in Caledon. I can't believe that you needed to pull your taps two weeks ago Lesley. I wouldn't have thought that our two locations would be that different.

Lespetras
04-13-2016, 02:30 PM
It's going to be a drippy day here in Caledon. I can't believe that you needed to pull your taps two weeks ago Lesley. I wouldn't have thought that our two locations would be that different.

I honestly think I pulled them prematurely as I had already made plenty and was tired!
But glad to see central ontario is still producing ! Do you think a record year?

Run Forest Run!
04-13-2016, 03:07 PM
Do you think a record year?

It's almost certain that I'll equal last year if not exceed it. Since I have been giving away sap to my nephew and had also let several hundred liters of sap hit the ground during the big tsunami I would have already surpassed last year's total if I'd been able to keep up at that time. I will agree, however, that it has definitely been an exhausting season for me as well. If it wasn't for the fact that I'm getting really nice darker syrup at the moment I would have seriously considered pulling the plug earlier but I just couldn't do it and watch the sap run down the trunks.

Big_Eddy
04-13-2016, 05:09 PM
Just think how my boys were complaining last weekend pulling our buckets. More than half were overflowing with crystal clear sap. :( but the syrup cupboard is full and the syrup wood pile was empty.

c0ps
04-13-2016, 06:29 PM
Between yesterday and today I collected 40 gallons of sap. Not much for a small timer with just a few taps but i like it.

Run Forest Run!
04-13-2016, 06:38 PM
That's such great news c0ps. Looks like you are likely going to be able to continue making syrup next year after all. Way to go!

c0ps
04-13-2016, 07:57 PM
That's such great news c0ps. Looks like you are likely going to be able to continue making syrup next year after all. Way to go!
Hey Karen, I ventured into my forest to identify more trees. Hard to tell what they are with no leaves. But I did end up finding a few more trees I can tap. Made up for the ones I lost. When summer is here I'll start marking the maples so I know what's what.

Run Forest Run!
04-13-2016, 08:56 PM
C0ps, look up along the branches and at the branch tips. If you find opposing twigs that's an excellent sign that you could very likely have a maple. When you see opposing branches around here where you and I live, it's likely a maple or an ash, and the maples seem to be more plentiful than ash trees. At the very least, I'm betting you've got quite a few Manitoba maples in your forest. They are everywhere, and delicious.

Run Forest Run!
04-14-2016, 11:10 AM
It's a gusher today. The sugars are two drops per second.

NTBugtraq
04-14-2016, 03:42 PM
It's a gusher today. The sugars are two drops per second.

And yet again, I got nothing...I don't understand it, weather was ideal, still no buds, but absolutely no sap.

Run Forest Run!
04-14-2016, 04:21 PM
NTBugtraq, that's ridiculous! I don't understand it either. :confused: The soft maples are rather quiet, but the sugars are crazy today.

c0ps
04-14-2016, 07:30 PM
Only Karen is getting gushers lol. Mine start dripping in the afternoon very slowly only for a few hours. I maybe collected an addition 5 gallons in total today on 20 taps. The Manitoba maples are doing nothing.

Run Forest Run!
04-14-2016, 07:52 PM
C0ps, I don't know about you, but all I was hearing outside today was the sound of chainsaws running all over the countryside. No small wonder! The trees around here really got messed up during the ice storm. I'm so pleased that you've been finding more trees to tap.

c0ps
04-14-2016, 10:06 PM
C0ps, I don't know about you, but all I was hearing outside today was the sound of chainsaws running all over the countryside. No small wonder! The trees around here really got messed up during the ice storm. I'm so pleased that you've been finding more trees to tap.
I heard many chainsaws going as well, including my own. Picked up a fires permit today and started burning the branches. I can see the sap dripping from the ends of the branches and makes we want to jar it lol. Maple addiction is bad. The weekend plan is to keep burning all the branches while I boil down the last remaining sap....Friday is the last day of the season, rest of the days and nights above 0.....finally!

Run Forest Run!
04-14-2016, 11:23 PM
Do you know about this c0ps? https://www.caledon.ca/en/townhall/Ice-Storm.asp Until Saturday you can bring even really big tree debris to the works yard on Hwy 50. It's very helpful to not have to cut up the large limbs into 4 foot lengths. We are doing our best to burn branches etc as well, but there's a limit to how much stuff we need to burn - five trees? not likely. And, if you bring the stuff to the works yard on Saturday they'll chip it for you and you can take the chips home. Our chainsaw will be joining in the chorus on the weekend.

Galena
04-15-2016, 07:26 AM
I think Karen's getting Karma sap from the trees for being so nice and helpful to everyone, and being devastated by the ice storm. That's why you should be nice to your trees! :-)

c0ps
04-15-2016, 07:10 PM
Yes I read about them accepting your cut up trees at the yard. Problem is getting them there. Thiers way to much to try and haul. Im just burning. On a better note I collected 70 gallons of sap which im boiling tommorow. Than im pulling the plugs.

Clamer33
04-15-2016, 08:19 PM
If your not getting any sap, I m going to assume that your taps are closing over, or your splies are plugged with mold. I was pulling taps today and found a great amount of the half to almost closed over.

Run Forest Run!
04-16-2016, 01:17 PM
Just pulled all my taps. I always hate doing that. The sugars were still killing it. All 15 buckets were overflowing, and giving two drips per second. Dumped 100L+ of crystal clear, cold, sugary sap on the forest floor. :cry: The trees win again this year. I gave out before they did. Now to finish off all my nearup and do a final tally for the year. What a fantastic season, especially after so many questionable starts.

Now we need to turn our attention to the five downed trees on the property that need to be cut up. I got one limbed yesterday, but there's a lot more work ahead.

NTBugtraq
04-16-2016, 02:16 PM
If your not getting any sap, I m going to assume that your taps are closing over, or your splies are plugged with mold. I was pulling taps today and found a great amount of the half to almost closed over.

Some sap is one thing, no sap from 216 taps under potentially 20at is IMO, quite another. Further, should the taps have been blocked, there would be no reason for not getting pressure (I'm only able to get up to 7.5at.)

Besides, the 2008 Maple Syrup Digest included the paper "The Timing of Tapping for Maple Sap Collection" (http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc/tapping.pdf), which in essence proves that there is not a significant drop in flow because taps have been in the tree for a while (they tested from as early as January 4th) with sap runs up to 4/23. Old taps produce less later in the season, but not none.

Anyway, whatever the reason, my season is done. 69F here today will likely get buds popping quickly. I still have 200+ gallons of sap to boil, so no final figures yet. At least I know now not to leave any syrup in the arch this year...;-]

c0ps
04-16-2016, 11:21 PM
Im done as well, my last batch of the season but wow does it taste awsome.

Run Forest Run!
04-17-2016, 12:32 AM
Nice looking syrup c0ps. Is it pure sugar maple or mixed with some soft maple? Congrats on an eventful, yet successful, first season.

c0ps
04-17-2016, 07:11 AM
Thanks Karen. Its a mix of sugar maple, silver maple and manitoba maples. I think ill continue to make maple syrup next year! I only make it for family so it looks like we have enough trees for that lol.

Run Forest Run!
04-21-2016, 04:54 PM
My final tally is in and my signature is updated. Best year so far! If I hadn't needed to dump hundred of liters of sap because I had no where to store it, and then kept collecting the sap until the trees dried up there would have been so much more syrup in my total. But there was absolutely no way for me to keep up. The trees definitely win this year!

Almost finished cleaning up. 2016's sugaring season was sure fun! :D

JDP
04-24-2016, 02:50 AM
95 taps
45 gallons syrup
22 GPH boil rate on arch

Great year.... now to finish sugar shack and upgrade arch for next year!

NTBugtraq
04-30-2016, 03:56 PM
95 taps
45 gallons syrup
22 GPH boil rate on arch

Great year.... now to finish sugar shack and upgrade arch for next year!

Gratz JDP, WTG, nice numbers.

I have one last boil in me, the dregs from my drop flue pan (3'6 x 18"). I figure there's maybe 2-3 gallons there that is at 30 brix. Anyway, right now my total is around 2/3rds of last year, mostly because on the tsunami days I didn't have enough storage (even with 400 U.S. Gals of storage). Trying to decide what to do, get more storage or put heat tape around lines leading to arch from storage. I boiled non-stop of the days the sap flowed, but then the days in-between the line to the arch was frozen. So if I can keep the line to the arch unfrozen, I can catch up...but it costs $ in electricity...hmm.

ennismaple
05-02-2016, 01:26 PM
I boiled non-stop of the days the sap flowed, but then the days in-between the line to the arch was frozen. So if I can keep the line to the arch unfrozen, I can catch up...but it costs $ in electricity...hmm.

Can you not put a shutoff valve on the feed line with a quick connect so you can drain it? The electricity for a heat trace is a lot cheaper than the value of the sap you couldn't boil. Another option is a propane torch does wonders to thaw out frozen lines. Once you get a trickle the sap flowing through will that out the rest of the ice.

NTBugtraq
05-02-2016, 02:52 PM
Can you not put a shutoff valve on the feed line with a quick connect so you can drain it? The electricity for a heat trace is a lot cheaper than the value of the sap you couldn't boil. Another option is a propane torch does wonders to thaw out frozen lines. Once you get a trickle the sap flowing through will that out the rest of the ice.

Oh wow, did you hit a nail on the head with that post. If I simply remove the line between the storage and the arch when I am finished boiling, there is no reason for it to ever freeze. At worst I have to thaw the connection points for that line, which is nothing. Thanks so much for the idea!!

ennismaple
05-03-2016, 10:09 AM
My pleasure - that's what we're here for. I doubt there's a problem any maple producer will encounter that someone else on this board hasn't been through before.

Our sugar camp is unheated, except the RO room, so we are well aware of the challenges of lines freezing up between boils. We have a mental checklist of all the things that need to get pulled apart and drained before we leave the sugar camp at night. If the only thing you need to thaw is the valve and elbow at the bottom of a tank that is easily done with a torch. The money spent on valves and quick connects is worth every penny!

Run Forest Run!
02-18-2017, 12:10 PM
With two weeks of above temps expected in our area what is everyone doing? Tapping now or waiting for a couple of weeks, closer to our 'traditional' tapping time?????? Nipping some of the ends off twigs show that most are dripping.

watsey
02-18-2017, 12:39 PM
Tapped on Thursday, 6-10 holes were dripping even with the temp just below freezing. Going out shortly to see how things look. One of the local producers installed their 5000 taps last weekend. The weather is looking pretty decent for the next couple weeks!

Run Forest Run!
02-18-2017, 06:27 PM
I went for it and have put in 17 taps. The box elders are cold and dry, but the silvers and the one sugar are doing well. Some are still dripping at one drop per second at 7:15 tonight. I have other trees to tap and will see how things go before I drill any more holes.

c0ps
02-18-2017, 06:43 PM
Im baaaack. Good news to! As some of you know I lost alote of trees last year due to ice storm. This summer made it much easier to identify my maples and marked them all. So I did 35 taps on 30 sugar maples today! I left out the elder maples this year. Game oooon lol.

Run Forest Run!
02-18-2017, 06:48 PM
Welcome back c0ps! Ice or no ice, Caledon is well represented this year! Were your trees dripping?

c0ps
02-18-2017, 06:55 PM
Welcome back c0ps! Ice or no ice, Caledon is well represented this year! Were your trees dripping?

Thier was one or two that didnt drip mostly because they are located in the vally where the sun gets to it late morning. But most of them were dripping good.

JWB27
02-18-2017, 08:25 PM
Put 10 taps in just after lunch. Checked at 6:00pm and had about 2 gallons of sap between all of them.

Run Forest Run!
02-18-2017, 08:37 PM
That's great JWB27! Looks like Caledon's taps are cooperating.

naturenitwit
02-19-2017, 01:47 PM
Anyone tapping in Minden Haliburton area. I just put a test tap on a 20 inch sugar maple. Just starting to ooze.

Run Forest Run!
02-19-2017, 04:26 PM
Some trees cooperated, others are still dormant. My first collection for the season is 20L @ 2.5%. Of the 17 taps I have in, only 9 were giving up sap on their first day. My Norway accounted for 11L of my 20L total. Not too shabby for a single tree!

ridgerunner394
02-20-2017, 11:16 AM
Another beautiful sunny day - that's 3 in a row! Put my 27 taps in on Friday. Just emptied last of it for a total of 40 gal sap (or 1 gal syrup). What a great weekend, the sap was running and my bees are out for a spring cleansing! Doesn't get much better than that for Feb :cool:

dre75
02-20-2017, 01:22 PM
Hi, been lurking since last year; just a hobbyist and this is year two for me.

Learned allot from this site and just wanted to say thanks to everyone for sharing info. I am located on the edge of Erin/ Belwood. Put my taps in yesterday afternoon, probably collect this evening.

Andre

Run Forest Run!
02-20-2017, 01:30 PM
Welcome Andre. Keep us posted on your progress!

Fireguy124
02-20-2017, 03:46 PM
Hey Andre, I must be close to you, I'm in marsville. My first year as well, tapped my trees on sat morning (20) and got 20gal of sap yesterday afternoon Going to start boiling tomorrow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dre75
02-20-2017, 04:09 PM
Hey Andre, I must be close to you, I'm in marsville. My first year as well, tapped my trees on sat morning (20) and got 20gal of sap yesterday afternoon Going to start boiling tomorrow

Yup you are close, I'm on Wellington Rd 26 about 8 min drive to Marsville. Careful its addictive, we made 10 liters last year and now I am afraid I am hooked. Doing twice the taps this year.

c0ps
02-20-2017, 04:16 PM
Another beautiful sunny day - that's 3 in a row! Put my 27 taps in on Friday. Just emptied last of it for a total of 40 gal sap (or 1 gal syrup). What a great weekend, the sap was running and my bees are out for a spring cleansing! Doesn't get much better than that for Feb :cool:

Wow that's great! My trees gave up very little today.

Run Forest Run!
02-20-2017, 07:00 PM
Wow that's great! My trees gave up very little today.

Me too c0ps. I only collected 11L today. Everything shut down in the early afternoon.

Galena
02-21-2017, 07:25 AM
Same here in Eastern Ontario. Only about 7l but not complaining, it's early yet and my big trees have yet to start.

c0ps
02-22-2017, 02:00 PM
As of 12 noon I collected 10 gallons of sap, hows everyone else doing today?

Run Forest Run!
02-22-2017, 02:12 PM
Hey c0ps. I collected 15L total yesterday and the taps dribbled until late evening. There's nothing going on with my taps today and perhaps a total of 4L in the buckets from overnight. I am, however, doing my first boil as we speak. I've collected 43L so far and I don't want it to spoil in the warmth today and tomorrow.

Fireguy124
02-22-2017, 03:15 PM
I collected 25gal from 18taps. Between yesterday morning and this morning.

dre75
02-22-2017, 04:05 PM
I am at about 15 Gals from 14 taps, seem to be getting about 5 a day the last 3 days.

wobbletop
02-22-2017, 05:06 PM
I guess I'm more central ontario than eastern ontario... reposting this here.

Switched to bags this year. Hopefully less cleanup at end of year. Homemade bag holders from PVC pipe.

10 trees tapped on Saturday. Collected 85L so far. Worried about the coming even warmer spell. I've got as much snow as available piled around my storage buckets. I'll likely boil whatever I have soon to avoid spoilage. Freezing a big zip lock bag full of water to add to the storage barrel to try to keep it cooler.

c0ps
02-22-2017, 05:14 PM

Switched to bags this year. Hopefully less cleanup at end of year. Homemade bag holders from PVC pipe.

10 trees tapped on Saturday. Collected 85L so far. Worried about the coming even warmer spell. I've got as much snow as available piled around my storage buckets. I'll likely boil whatever I have soon to avoid spoilage. Freezing a big zip lock bag full of water to add to the storage barrel to try to keep it cooler.

Calling for sun and heat tommorow, good idea to boil whats in the bags.I think ill start boiling when i get home from work tommorw as well.

Run Forest Run!
02-22-2017, 05:25 PM
Only got 3L today. In another couple of hours my first boil will be done. My collection pails are all empty and ready for the next run whenever that happens.

NTBugtraq
02-22-2017, 05:47 PM

Why are you worried?

JWB27
02-22-2017, 08:35 PM
Been steady at 5 gallons of sap per day for 10 taps since Sunday. Today my better trees slowed down and my slower trees picked up. Boiling this weekend.

wobbletop
02-22-2017, 08:59 PM
Why are you worried?

Afraid I won't have time to boil down the sap before it spoils due to the warmth.

BrutemanAl
02-23-2017, 05:22 PM
Everyone is making me jealous, still don't have any tree's tapped, Saturday can't come quick enough lol. I did manage to score an old Oil tank that I plan on making into an evaporator for next year, just need to figure out how to do it.

Galena
02-23-2017, 05:32 PM
Afraid I won't have time to boil down the sap before it spoils due to the warmth.
If you have snowbanks, esp on North side of house or shack, dig bunkers for sap storage. Some years ago a fellow MTer collected on a Saturday and realized he wouldn't have time to get to it. He told me on the following Tuesday (so 3 days later after collection) that this sap was available if I wanted it. I believe I went and took most of the sap that Wednesday, stored it in snow bunkers and got to it later on Thursday (5 days after collection) . It made an exceptionally lovely batch of late-season syrup. What I was unable to take - I took 16 of 25 gallons available - he kept and did boil up.

JWB27
02-23-2017, 05:45 PM
Another 3 gallons of sap today. It has slowed. Just got in from burying sap pails in another snow bank. Last year had to import snow from the school parking lot down the road to keep the sap cool.

Run Forest Run!
02-23-2017, 05:46 PM
Finished off my first batch of 2017 today. I got 1.2L from 48L of sap, so a fairly respectable outcome.

One tree woke up today and gave me 3L, but the others were fairly quiet. A neighbour has offered up their trees and I put a total of three taps into two large sugar maples. I think I'll use more of their trees once the season really begins.

c0ps
02-23-2017, 07:31 PM
Thats awsome! first batch is always the funnest lol. i was supposed to start boiling tonight but just got home from work and its to late, ill try tommorow

wobbletop
02-23-2017, 10:08 PM
If you have snowbanks, esp on North side of house or shack, dig bunkers for sap storage. Some years ago a fellow MTer collected on a Saturday and realized he wouldn't have time to get to it. He told me on the following Tuesday (so 3 days later after collection) that this sap was available if I wanted it. I believe I went and took most of the sap that Wednesday, stored it in snow bunkers and got to it later on Thursday (5 days after collection) . It made an exceptionally lovely batch of late-season syrup. What I was unable to take - I took 16 of 25 gallons available - he kept and did boil up.

I had piled as much snow as I could around my storage barrels (north side of the house in shade), but with the constant 12C overnight, EVERYTHING is gone. I put a couple zip lock bags filled with ice cubes in overnight. I did a couple of hours of boiling tonight, and plan starting again tomorrow morning, but rain is in the forecast. Not good for us outside boilers.

wobbletop
02-24-2017, 05:52 PM
Well this is a first... chased inside while boiling by a thunderstorm. Couldn't figure out what the flashing I was seeing was from. *insert political comment about global warming*

Guess a sugar shack is next.

dre75
02-24-2017, 06:11 PM
Well this is a first... chased inside while boiling by a thunderstorm. Couldn't figure out what the flashing I was seeing was from. *insert political comment about global warming*

Guess a sugar shack is next.

Same thing just happened to me! Grabbed my two steam pans and went running in!

Run Forest Run!
02-24-2017, 06:35 PM
I wondered what all of the crashing and banging was! Lightning and thunder!

Galena
02-24-2017, 08:45 PM
Getting thunderboomies right now though seems to be passing through, not much rain. Can't ever remember a February thunderstorm, always associated them with late summer and fall. Boilin down nearup of 55 l sap, expect approx 1.5l syrup.

Run Forest Run!
02-24-2017, 09:33 PM
Your first syrup of the season Galena! That's great. :)

c0ps
02-24-2017, 11:48 PM
First batch. Lightning storm was awsome.

Run Forest Run!
02-24-2017, 11:56 PM
Great staging effort with that photo c0ps! Congrats on your first batch - it almost takes the sting out of last year's ice storm, well, almost.

c0ps
02-25-2017, 12:05 AM
Great staging effort with that photo c0ps! Congrats on your first batch - it almost takes the sting out of last year's ice storm, well, almost.

Lol thanks....yes almost got rid of the sting. Im sure the next batch will do the job.

Hkb82
02-25-2017, 10:45 AM
I just finished my first boil ever before the storm happened around me. Can't remember the last time that happened in February. Syrup turned out great. Started this year with 40 tap as I am not sure how fast or how much my arch will be able to boil. Hope for s great 2017

c0ps
02-25-2017, 04:03 PM
I just finished my first boil ever before the storm happened around me. Can't remember the last time that happened in February. Syrup turned out great. Started this year with 40 tap as I am not sure how fast or how much my arch will be able to boil. Hope for s great 2017

Its a fun hobby. Thank god the season doesent last long. Its alote of work, but worth it!

ridgerunner394
02-25-2017, 06:24 PM
Looks like the warm spell is over for a bit now. Started my boil today will finish off what is on hand hopefully tomorrow. So far I have collected just over 100 gal of sap, that will equate to just over 2 gal syrup :{) Finished off just over 5 Litres today as the rain came tumbling down!

wobbletop
02-25-2017, 07:04 PM
First batch. Lightning storm was awsome.

I like the bottles! I've always used canning jars. Is there a different method for those bottles? Any issue with storage?

Boiled through the 85L I had collected. Haven't bottled so not sure of the exact amount of syrup. Emptied whatever was left in the sap bags into storage barrel. Might have been a mistake as now some of the bags are blowing off the trees.

Also tried using a hyrdometer... Always seemed to read low. I boiled a pot of water and the digital thermometer read 210, so add 7 deg and I stopped boiling at 217 (218 actually). Hydrometer still read low (needed more boiling). It's only for my consumption, so not really concerned about it, but has anyone used one and can give tips? It's also a pain to try to fill the hydrometer with syrup since it doesn't fit in my boiling pot. I may just give up on it.

c0ps
02-25-2017, 07:44 PM
I like the bottles! I've always used canning jars. Is there a different method for those bottles? Any issue with storage?

Boiled through the 85L I had collected. Haven't bottled so not sure of the exact amount of syrup. Emptied whatever was left in the sap bags into storage barrel. Might have been a mistake as now some of the bags are blowing off the trees.

Also tried using a hyrdometer... Always seemed to read low. I boiled a pot of water and the digital thermometer read 210, so add 7 deg and I stopped boiling at 217 (218 actually). Hydrometer still read low (needed more boiling). It's only for my consumption, so not really concerned about it, but has anyone used one and can give tips? It's also a pain to try to fill the hydrometer with syrup since it doesn't fit in my boiling pot. I may just give up on it.

Bottles are great. The caps have an induction seal. As long as you bottle the syrup while it's 190 degree or higher it will last a long time unfridgerated.

I use a a hydrotherm...but I wouldn't be putting the hydrometer in your boiling batch. If the glass on the hydrometer breaks you will end up throwing the whole batch out!

Hkb82
02-25-2017, 08:17 PM
Bottles are great. The caps have an induction seal. As long as you bottle the syrup while it's 190 degree or higher it will last a long time unfridgerated.

I use a a hydrotherm...but I wouldn't be putting the hydrometer in your boiling batch. If the glass on the hydrometer breaks you will end up throwing the whole batch out!

i agree that using it in the batch would be bad if it were to break that would just make ya cry. I had trouble finding a test tube to use so I just used a stainless thermos to test in. Not ideal but it works till I can order one. Plus since its insulated you can just hold it without gloves.

dre75
02-26-2017, 04:06 PM
Finally got around to finishing off my first batch, made 1 liter from about 13 gallons. Got to try out my new barrel stove evaporator for the first time, think it went well and it was allot faster then the propane burner from last year.

Run Forest Run!
02-26-2017, 04:10 PM
Pretty picture! You and c0ps have all the right props for some maple glamour shots.

Things started to drip here an hour ago. Looks like we'll be enjoying some good sap runs tomorrow.

c0ps
02-26-2017, 04:10 PM
Nice color!

dre75
02-26-2017, 04:13 PM
Nice color!

Yours too, our first batches could be twins!

dre75
02-26-2017, 04:17 PM
Pretty picture! You and c0ps have all the right props for some maple glamour shots.

Things started to drip here an hour ago. Looks like we'll be enjoying some good sap runs tomorrow.

That is good news I checked about 2 hours ago and nothing was dripping here.

c0ps
02-27-2017, 03:06 PM
Just started dripping here. Only about 10 gallons so far today.

Run Forest Run!
02-27-2017, 03:35 PM
Drip, drip, drip, drip, here too. I've collected 40L in the past 48 hours - 3/4 of that this afternoon.

ridgerunner394
02-28-2017, 04:20 PM
good run after last nights cold, picked up another 35 gal sap this morning :{)

c0ps
02-28-2017, 04:24 PM
Any sap running?

Run Forest Run!
02-28-2017, 04:36 PM
I had a decent day. I collected 28L and have boiled everything down that I built up over the past three days - about 75L. Just shutting down now and bringing it inside to finish on the stovetop.

JWB27
02-28-2017, 04:43 PM
Just brought in 8 gallons, my best run so far.

c0ps
02-28-2017, 04:55 PM
Just came in from checking mine, 148L collected. Would love to start boiling it down but looks gloomy outside. Expecting high amounts of rain tonight.

Run Forest Run!
02-28-2017, 10:59 PM
Finished batch #2. Got 2.1L of light syrup from 71L of sap. What a great day in the fresh air!

NTBugtraq
03-01-2017, 10:11 AM
Well, its been an extremely strange 24 hours. Yesterday we broke freezing here around 2:00pm and the sap started to flow. I had 80 gallons of sap in my 400 gallons of storage, so I decided to hold off boiling until today. The forecast was showing a slow but constant temperature rise through the night and into today.

I went out this morning at 6:00am and bingo,400 gallons of sap. I have no idea how much sap I lost, but it had obviously had slowed down as my sump was only pumping into the storage once an hour (so 5 gallon/hour). My boil is beating the sap flow (12-13 gph boil).

Hopefully I will finish from syrup today.

MarkReynolds
03-01-2017, 11:30 AM
Well, its been an extremely strange 24 hours. Yesterday we broke freezing here around 2:00pm and the sap started to flow. I had 80 gallons of sap in my 400 gallons of storage, so I decided to hold off boiling until today. The forecast was showing a slow but constant temperature rise through the night and into today.

I went out this morning at 6:00am and bingo,400 gallons of sap. I have no idea how much sap I lost, but it had obviously had slowed down as my sump was only pumping into the storage once an hour (so 5 gallon/hour). My boil is beating the sap flow (12-13 gph boil).

Hopefully I will finish from syrup today.
Lucky you!! I probably have that much water in pails from the storm last night...

ridgerunner394
03-01-2017, 02:23 PM
calling for -11C here tonight so may see some flow late this evening? Picked up just over 18 gal sap today along with many sallow moths! Have not seen more that a couple to this point but today they were thirsty :{) every pail had swimmers - up to 7 or 8 in a few.

wobbletop
03-01-2017, 03:50 PM
Moths are one of the reasons I switched to bags.

c0ps
03-01-2017, 05:09 PM
Rain is why I decided to do tubes to a 5 gallon pale with lid, hole on the top and side of bucket. Collected 65 gallons of 2% sugar in last 2 days. Boiling on friday

wobbletop
03-01-2017, 07:24 PM
I predict my small amount (50L) of collected sap will be frozen solid until after Sunday.

Run Forest Run!
03-01-2017, 08:37 PM
I'm glad that I left some sap in my buckets. With this insane wind, by morning, they will only be 100 km away instead of 200 km.

JWB27
03-02-2017, 06:58 PM
A good lesson to be had. This morning I was retrieving pails and lids that got blown off.

c0ps
03-02-2017, 07:09 PM
A good lesson to be had. This morning I was retrieving pails and lids that got blown off.

I got home when it was dark, now your making me want to go look at my pails......not chancing being eaten by a wolf tonight.

Run Forest Run!
03-02-2017, 07:13 PM
I got home when it was dark, now your making me want to go look at my pails......not chancing being eaten by a wolf tonight.

I was spared from having to retrieve pails. The weight of the sap kept everything in place, thank goodness! I'm with you, I don't go messing around with my pails after dark. Too many coyotes around here! You can keep your wolf.

Fireguy124
03-02-2017, 07:16 PM
Checked mine this morning. Collected 35 gal from 20 buckets. Biggest haul for me so far. I had one bucket that was dark sap. Smelt ok but everything else was clear except this one. I dumped it out. Any else experience this before or know why?

Run Forest Run!
03-02-2017, 07:22 PM
Checked mine this morning. Collected 35 gal from 20 buckets. Biggest haul for me so far. I had one bucket that was dark sap. Smelt ok but everything else was clear except this one. I dumped it out. Any else experience this before or know why?

If rainwater that has run down the length of a tree trunk is able to make its way into your bucket it will make the contents of your bucket look dark.

Fireguy124
03-02-2017, 07:26 PM
I have drop lines into buckets so rain water from the tree shouldn't be getting into it I don't think...

Run Forest Run!
03-02-2017, 07:35 PM
I have drop lines into buckets so rain water from the tree shouldn't be getting into it I don't think...

Are the holes drilled into the top of the lids or into the side of the bucket (at the top)? Sometimes rainwater can still get in when the hole is drilled into the lid. Another possibility is that you inadvertently drilled into some dark wood in the tree. Sap might be making its way through a bit of punky wood that is causing some discolouration.

Fireguy124
03-02-2017, 07:45 PM
Are the holes drilled into the top of the lids or into the side of the bucket (at the top)? Sometimes rainwater can still get in when the hole is drilled into the lid. Another possibility is that you inadvertently drilled into some dark wood in the tree. Sap might be making its way through a bit of punky wood that is causing some discolouration.

The holes are in the top so i guess maybe between a possibly bad hole and some tree water would explain it. Would you boil it down or toss it? And drill a new hole?

c0ps
03-02-2017, 08:05 PM
Boil it up! Test the percentage of the sugar and test boil a small pot

Bushfrosh
03-03-2017, 02:49 PM

I think it was a good choice to dump it. You've got 19 clear buckets and it's not worth the risk of spoiling the entire batch.

Galena
03-03-2017, 03:58 PM
Oh c'mon, a little tree pee never hurt anyone, the batch I'm finishing off tonight has plenty of yellowy sap in it. So long as it's clear and doesn't smell, just man up and cook it down next time! ;-)

c0ps
03-03-2017, 06:07 PM
Oh c'mon, a little tree pee never hurt anyone, the batch I'm finishing off tonight has plenty of yellowy sap in it. So long as it's clear and doesn't smell, just man up and cook it down next time! ;-)

What she said!

c0ps
03-04-2017, 08:36 AM
Anyone know how to start boiling buckets of ice?

BrutemanAl
03-05-2017, 06:59 AM
The holes are in the top so i guess maybe between a possibly bad hole and some tree water would explain it. Would you boil it down or toss it? And drill a new hole?

I use some yellow buckets with drop lines that run down to the buckets on the forest floor, I drilled my holes in the side right under the rib that goes around the pail, I drilled it with a drill bit the same size as the tubing so it has a snug fit and then I put the lid on tight. Just incase they get too full I drilled 2 smaller holes directly across from the hole with the tubing about 6" apart and they act as a over flow. I have been doing this for the past 3 years and never had an issue with rain getting in.... at least I don't think so, its never been an off color.

c0ps
03-05-2017, 03:25 PM
Boiled 14 galons of 5 percent (unfrozen sap from buckets of ice) and finished 3 liters of syrup in 4 hours.

Galena
03-05-2017, 05:11 PM
5%?! this early in the season, for real? wow....

ETA: re boiling buckets of ice...keep in mind I have a microbush of 6 trees. Anyway what I do with frozen is fill kitchen sink about 2/3 full with warm water and immerse buckets of sap (with a spare collection pail under spile while doing so) and try to let it thaw out. I guess I could also just stand the buckets atop my cast-iron woodstove but afraid of warping them.

c0ps
03-05-2017, 05:34 PM
5%?! this early in the season, for real? wow.....

Maybe i should explain better. It didnt come out of the tree at 5 percent. It was about a quarter of the melting sap from a bunch of frozen pales of sap. Still have about 13 buckets of pure frozen sap.

c0ps
03-06-2017, 04:38 PM
Nothing running today. I thought for sure their would be sap running today.

Run Forest Run!
03-06-2017, 04:53 PM
Hey c0ps. I'm starting to see some drips now. Since it won't be below freezing tonight I expect that the taps will run through the evening and we'll have something in our buckets by morning. :)

MapleRatz
03-07-2017, 09:46 AM
First post! Hello all. I'm hoping to get my lines in next week, as the snow is finally workable in the bush where I am, just North of Huntsville, 16" of snow last time I checked. Being that I am on a fairly good hill, deep snow just doesn't make things easy, and the temps are up and down like a yo-yo. Looks like next week will be the start. I am literally chomping at the bit waiting to get going.

Run Forest Run!
03-07-2017, 10:10 AM
Welcome MapleRatz! Keep us all posted on your season. :)

Bruce L
03-07-2017, 10:43 AM
Hey Karen,did you find any sap this morning? Brother in law called last night while driving through Burlington and said it was plus 12,it was still freezing rain here at the time. Buses cancelled today because of freezing rain,thought it would be a great day for sap,but nothing happening so far.Checked one bush for leaks,did some repairs,then shut the pump off as nothing was coming in. Tried checking another bush but started pouring rain

Run Forest Run!
03-07-2017, 11:08 AM
Hi Bruce. There is a lot of sap this morning. The taps did run all night and there is 2-3L in almost every bucket. The wind has picked up a little so some of the dripping has slowed done somewhat. I'm heading out to empty the water jugs as they only have 4L of capacity and some will be overflowing soon.

Bruce L
03-07-2017, 11:34 AM
Lucky you !! Nothing here so far

Hkb82
03-07-2017, 12:48 PM
We had a good run also yesterday and last night on the Bruce. Today has also slowed down but still drip drip. Time to boil again

Run Forest Run!
03-07-2017, 01:15 PM
Collected 32L at noon. It also includes the sap that was frozen into the buckets at the end of last week. Was able to eliminate some frozen bits and have a sugar content of just under 3%. That should get me close to a litre of syrup when it's boiled down.

NTBugtraq
03-07-2017, 02:57 PM
Got my boil on by 6:00am this morning. Nothing was running and in fact, my little space where I keep my pump and such was frozen?? 100W light on and vacuum running, but it still managed to freeze. So much so that the float for the sump was frozen in a down position...yikes! Anyway, sap started running at 10:00am-ish, but slowly. I boil at 12gph and the sap seemed to be coming in at 8gph (from 200+ taps). Its still flowing, but we are expecting it to drop below zero tonight so I am hoping the ~120gallons of storage I have available will be enough. I've got 280 gallons of sap in storage, so tomorrow is going to be another big boil day.

My pans are still sweetening, so I have no idea what color I am going to get. I am hoping for some nice clear, as I only ever got that on my very first boil 4 years ago. I should find out tomorrow.

Hkb82
03-07-2017, 03:31 PM
I collected about 180-200l today around 11 am. Has slowed big time now but will likely get close to another 100 tomorrow when I go around. That's of 62 taps. I can boil at 5-6gph if I am really working at it. So far first batch had a nice colour I think. 15917

NTBugtraq
03-07-2017, 05:12 PM
Folks, I don't know about where you live but right now I have the most amazing red sky to the west...WOW!

Run Forest Run!
03-07-2017, 05:16 PM
Folks, I don't know about where you live but right now I have the most amazing red sky to the west...WOW!

I know! Isn't it sensational?!

Run Forest Run!
03-07-2017, 05:33 PM

This is the view I had this evening.

c0ps
03-07-2017, 06:10 PM
Collected 15 gallons of sap from the front yard and hardly nothing from the trees in the vally. Most of my trees are in the vally, go figure.

NTBugtraq
03-07-2017, 07:26 PM
Collected 15 gallons of sap from the front yard and hardly nothing from the trees in the vally. Most of my trees are in the vally, go figure.

Not really surprising, I don't know about where you are, but we had no real sun today. Temperature difference is a mandate for flow, but I had frozen sap in my sugar shack till 1:00pm today. There's more than one thing that makes sap flow...

MapleRatz
03-07-2017, 09:24 PM
Welcome MapleRatz! Keep us all posted on your season. :)
Thank you, I will.

Friggs
03-08-2017, 08:53 AM
Heading up tomorrow morning to start tapping. My side road is not plowed and the snow depth is around 8"-12" now so I can drive into the camp.
Hoping to maybe boil next weekend or a few days after that, we'll see.

Friggs

dre75
03-09-2017, 08:08 PM
Been a slow week here; from Monday to this evening only got 20 liters of sap. Put in another two taps, thought I would try a couple on the drop line down to a bucket method people had mentioned, seems to be working well.

Galena
03-09-2017, 09:16 PM
Just a headsup to all and anyone who wishes they could force sap from their trees in next to no time...
it...http://mapletrader.com/community/showthread.php?30203-Heating-trees-through-a-cold-snap...

Run Forest Run!
03-09-2017, 09:17 PM
It was nice to see the taps starting to drip after lunch. As it looks like it is going to freeze up for the next week things should be quiet. Got all of my stored sap boiled outside today (no gale force winds like yesterday!) and it's now on the stove to finish up.

Galena
03-10-2017, 07:13 AM
It was nice to see the taps starting to drip after lunch.....

Wow! You give your taps lunch? Lucky them ;-)

Run Forest Run!
03-10-2017, 09:59 PM
Wow! You give your taps lunch? Lucky them ;-)

They need their strength too! It worked, because they've given me 1.5L of lovely amber syrup tonight for my batch#3. Considering that for four years I was only ever getting light syrup, it's nice to be getting some different grades this year as well as last year.

c0ps
03-10-2017, 10:50 PM
On the left is one of the bottles of tonights boils, and the bottle on the right is last weeks boill..color is changing.15997

Run Forest Run!
03-10-2017, 10:54 PM
Those look like the same colours as my last two batches. Must be something in the water around here. ;)

c0ps
03-10-2017, 11:03 PM
Those look like the same colours as my last two batches. Must be something in the water around here. ;)

Lol.....yes thiers sugar!!

Hkb82
03-15-2017, 05:03 PM
Saw a bit of dripping this afternoon but nothing crazy. Should be much better the next few days I really need a good run.

c0ps
03-15-2017, 08:26 PM
Saw a bit of dripping this afternoon but nothing crazy. Should be much better the next few days I really need a good run.

No dripping here, but Im hoping for a good run to.

Hkb82
03-16-2017, 08:49 AM
The next few days look pretty good in my area. Going to hang a couple more buckets today will report

Hkb82
03-16-2017, 04:25 PM
Drip drip drip today. Started a bit later in the day as my lines were frozen. The trees also I guess. Should drip till they freeze back up tonight then again tomorrow is calling for above freezing. Got to love it

Run Forest Run!
03-16-2017, 04:26 PM
After a solid week of deep freeze, most of my taps here in Caledon have started to wake up. There are ACTUAL sap droplets falling at 4pm. About time!

Hkb82
03-16-2017, 04:34 PM
Drip drip drip today. Started a bit later in the day as my lines were frozen. The trees also I guess. Should drip till they freeze back up tonight then again tomorrow is calling for above freezing. Got to love it the lines I put in today were dropping right away around noonish

Hkb82
03-17-2017, 03:04 PM
Another good day for those around me. Dripping since 10ish on most my lines. Just the real big sugars still not much. Time to boil baby

Run Forest Run!
03-17-2017, 03:27 PM
Same here. Medium sized trees are dripping, the larger ones are coming around now.

Fireguy124
03-17-2017, 03:44 PM
Anyone else having a problem with frozen sap? https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170317/bd3028e4770af9202d78f58bd53f99b5.jpg

Hkb82
03-17-2017, 06:29 PM
A bit late to try now but in the future you could try a bubbler system like in bait pails or fish tanks. I was thinking I would do this next year as I plan to have a big holding tank for my sap and don't want it to totally freeze up on me. Can anybody tell me if it's a bad idea? Was just something I was thinking and haven't really looked into it yet.

dre75
03-17-2017, 07:38 PM
Super slow here. Was out at about 6:30 pm and nothing worth collecting, couple tree may have just started dripping.

Hkb82
03-17-2017, 08:06 PM
I collected about 20-25gal from yesterday's sad little run but had a good one today. I am thinking around the 60gal tomorrow will be the collection number but depends on how late they will drip. I am surprised that not much going on in Belwood as you are south of me.

Hkb82
03-18-2017, 04:25 PM
About 60gal today in the pails. Steady boil going on at my place now. Trees were still trying to drip today and I would think tomorrow will be a good day with a high of +6 and sunny. Collect it well you can.

NTBugtraq
03-18-2017, 05:15 PM
I got no new sap today, but managed to boil off 80 gallons of the sap I had in storage and bottle another 7L. Colour, because it was not mixed with last year's syrup, was closer to my norm of Amber.

c0ps
03-18-2017, 08:16 PM
Nothing but snow here today

dre75
03-18-2017, 09:53 PM
Nothing but snow here today

Same here, hoping things get better tomorrow with the plus six!

Brian66
03-19-2017, 08:09 AM
Finally, taps in. Today will be first flow. Still it will be short, it freezes up again soon up here.

NTBugtraq
03-19-2017, 10:32 AM
Sap has slowly started again late yesterday...I got some 80gals between 2:00pm and 6:00pm, then it started again at 10:00am this morning. For some reason my boil rate is up to 16gph?? Another 7L bottled this morning, and the arch is at 5deg above boil point, so probably another 7L later today.

Run Forest Run!
03-19-2017, 11:36 AM
Here we go in the GTA! A few of my taps are running like faucets. :D

NTBugtraq
03-19-2017, 01:46 PM

So I stopped trying to count actual sap received, and instead only need to know the flow rate of the sap and the amount of sap I have on hand. To measure flow rate, I don't try gph, I just count how often my sump is lifting sap into my storage system. If its once per 1/2 hr, then its matching my boil rate.

Between 10:00-11:00 flow rate was once/hour
Between 11:00-12:00 flow rate was once/43 mins
Between 12:00-1:00 flow rate was once/23 mins
Between 1:00-2:00 flow rate was once/22 mins

So I know exactly what you mean Karen...and this could last for another 7 hours. Luckily I have enough storage available...and the arch is at nearup temperature (+6F), so I will draw that off in the next hour or two which in turn will make even more space for sap.

I measured the brix of my sap and its currently @ 3.5%...I've not had it higher than this, but I have had it as low as 2.5%

I think we are in for some great flows over the next few days.

Hkb82
03-19-2017, 06:33 PM
We had a good day around me. Even the big boys were dripping like crazy. Boil going since 6 am with no end in sight lol. Looks like it might bea bit darker then the first few runs but it's hard to tell a this point. Hoping to get some real flavourful stuff this year. I like the dark and have had all light so far.

c0ps
03-19-2017, 07:06 PM

Yes it is! It might be to late to start boiling next weekend. Think ill have to start doing a few hours a night

Run Forest Run!
03-19-2017, 07:50 PM
Collected 65L today. Some of the sugar content was at 4%! Put together my wood arch so that its ready to supplement my propane burners in case I get overloaded with sap, and/or run out of propane. Looking forward to boiling tomorrow.

dre75
03-20-2017, 08:15 AM
Collected 65L today. Some of the sugar content was at 4%! Put together my wood arch so that its ready to supplement my propane burners in case I get overloaded with sap, and/or run out of propane. Looking forward to boiling tomorrow.

That is what I was hoping to see from my trees but only got 10 L of sap at about 5 pm yesterday. Seems like my trees are slacking this year!

Hkb82
03-20-2017, 08:38 AM
That is what I was hoping to see from my trees but only got 10 L of sap at about 5 pm yesterday. Seems like my trees are slacking this year!
Maybe you should be giving them lunch like Karen

Hkb82
03-20-2017, 09:01 AM

NTBugtraq
03-20-2017, 09:28 AM
I got another 80 gals of sap after I shut down at 3:00pm yesterday...so not a tsunami but not a bad day in the end.
We've just got to 0C in the last 20 mins, so hopefully sap will start flowing shortly (because its under vacuum). Looking forward to one of my best syrup days ever.

dre75
03-20-2017, 01:20 PM

What’s on the menu a generous helping of compost paired with a bottle of Miracle Grow?

Run Forest Run!
03-20-2017, 03:36 PM
Andre, it's Miracle Flow.

I should have used it yesterday. Today's performance is lack lustre.

Hkb82
03-20-2017, 07:05 PM
Collected 40gal today and had to leave one group as I don't have any more room to hold plus it will probably stay cooler. Kinda glad it's slowed for a day or two myself need to catch up on boiling but hope it starts strong for those that need it.

c0ps
03-20-2017, 10:17 PM
Slow day here today, maybe 10 gallons. Should be on tommorow i hope

leaky bucket
03-21-2017, 07:40 AM
well cold again tonight and tomorrow high of minus 8 low -14 with wind chill -30 nice! going to tap late this week. long range has finally got some consistant - / + in it over the next few weeks. Snowshoes will be required for tapping for sure !!

dre75
03-21-2017, 09:25 AM
Andre, it's Miracle Flow.

I should have used it yesterday. Today's performance is lack lustre.

Monday was a little better then Sunday for me, it was still not anything to write home about but I collected about 15 L

Hkb82
03-21-2017, 09:44 AM
Anybody selling syrup around the Newmarket area. Have somebody looking to buy some locally but I am a pretty far drive from there lol. Post or pm me your info. They are only looking for personal supply 1-2l thanks guys.

c0ps
03-22-2017, 06:31 AM
Anybody selling syrup around the Newmarket area. Have somebody looking to buy some locally but I am a pretty far drive from there lol. Post or pm me your info. They are only looking for personal supply 1-2l thanks guys.

I'm about 20 min from there but only made enough so far to share with friends and family. March is not looking good either. Looking at the forecast, it looks like our days are over.

MapleRatz
03-22-2017, 01:42 PM

I am not far, PM sent

Hkb82
03-22-2017, 05:20 PM
Thanks to everybody that replied I let them no I could put them in contact with somebody local so if I hear back I will be in touch thanks

Fort Wisers
03-23-2017, 11:08 AM
So I stopped trying to count actual sap received, and instead only need to know the flow rate of the sap and the amount of sap I have on hand. To measure flow rate, I don't try gph, I just count how often my sump is lifting sap into my storage system. If its once per 1/2 hr, then its matching my boil rate.

Between 10:00-11:00 flow rate was once/hour
Between 11:00-12:00 flow rate was once/43 mins
Between 12:00-1:00 flow rate was once/23 mins
Between 1:00-2:00 flow rate was once/22 mins

So I know exactly what you mean Karen...and this could last for another 7 hours. Luckily I have enough storage available...and the arch is at nearup temperature (+6F), so I will draw that off in the next hour or two which in turn will make even more space for sap.

I measured the brix of my sap and its currently @ 3.5%...I've not had it higher than this, but I have had it as low as 2.5%

I think we are in for some great flows over the next few days.

WOW, it seems we missed our big flow day!

We didn't get our taps in until about 5pm that Sunday evening, we were returning from vacation and it's the best we could do.
I just went out to check, our largest maple, who also gets the highest sun exposure, is just barely starting to drip....
@NTBugtraq - what device do you use to measure your sap brix?

Run Forest Run!
03-23-2017, 09:34 PM
Things have been pretty quiet for four days now. I collected 65L on the 19th and then 29L on the 21st. I boiled all but 13L of that down (thank goodness I reserved that 13L for the oh s*** bucket - whew!). Suffice it to say that I've learned from you sugarers who've been doing this for decades, if not generations, that you are never good enough to not have your exit strategy. My 'extra' cold sap was by my side, and I needed it. Thanks to you seasoned sugarers I saved my batch from certain black death.

From 80.5L I made 2L of light syrup. I feel like we haven't really even had our "traditional" season yet. What we've had are mini bursts of sap that have us boiling every four or five days and then we get a week off. It's actually a decent pace, but I keep wondering if, or when, we'll see the real deal. Thank goodness I've got a stash (like in Quebec) to see me through lean times should they happen. :lol:

c0ps
03-26-2017, 12:58 AM
Boiled 35 gallons of sap and made 1 gallon of syrup....its a nice medium amber. Taste awsome!

Run Forest Run!
03-26-2017, 01:37 AM
I was boiling today too. I had 88L in this batch. I haven't got it quite ready to bottle yet, but it looks like it will be close to 2L.

Bruce L
03-26-2017, 07:18 AM
Karen,are you a night owl? At 2:37 this morning I was in a deep sleep!! Glad to hear you saved your syrup,as I am teaching a young lad now,no matter how many thousands of gallons of sap you have boiled,still better to have that o:;,-$! Pail handy to save your syrup,and more importantly your pan.

c0ps
03-26-2017, 10:14 AM
I was boiling today too. I had 88L in this batch. I haven't got it quite ready to bottle yet, but it looks like it will be close to 2L.

Did yours come out light to?

Run Forest Run!
03-26-2017, 10:29 AM
Bruce, yes I'm a night owl, and don't ask for any life or death answers from me before lunch. lol That's when the coffee kicks in.

C0ps, it's looking like a light batch is what I'll have. The 2L batch I finished a few days ago is also light. Surprise, surprise, I've looked out the window this morning and some of the taps are dumping sap. I know the temperature outside was about -.5*C when I went to bed at 3am, but I didn't think it would be enough to kick start the sap so much!

c0ps
03-26-2017, 01:46 PM
That's awsome. I looked at mine early afternoon and nothing dripping

c0ps
03-26-2017, 01:57 PM
On another note. Looks like we might have another couple of days left in the season and time to pack it in.

Run Forest Run!
03-26-2017, 05:30 PM
COps, check out accuweather's forecast. It looks promising after April 2nd.

JWB27
03-26-2017, 08:30 PM
I also boiled down 35 gallons of sap got 4L of a medium Amber.
Brought down 11 5 gal pails from the cottage.
Hopefully they will thaw out by the coming weekend.

dre75
03-27-2017, 03:21 PM
Been an interesting few days. On Friday I made 1.150L of Syrup. Saturday to now collected another 40ish Litres of sap. I was kind of surprised to see sap flowing today as I thought it was too warm overnight, also surprised to see a couple of my trees that have not been producing well this year have started to put out at the 11th hour.

dre75
03-28-2017, 09:35 AM
Did yours come out light to? Made 1L last night and it is my lightest of the season so far.

NTBugtraq
03-28-2017, 02:28 PM
WOW, it seems we missed our big flow day!

We didn't get our taps in until about 5pm that Sunday evening, we were returning from vacation and it's the best we could do.
I just went out to check, our largest maple, who also gets the highest sun exposure, is just barely starting to drip....
@NTBugtraq - what device do you use to measure your sap brix?

Sorry to take so long to respond. I have a digital refractometer and a manual (actually 2 manual refractometers, one for sap, the other for syrup, different brix ranges). They never agree, so I use the number inbetween the two values.

NTBugtraq
03-28-2017, 02:44 PM
Today has been great in a couple of ways. First, I managed to bottle 15L already today, and I could have bottled another 8L if I wanted but I decided to combine that with a batch tomorrow instead. That's my best day for finishing syrup ever. Also, it was 67.8 brix, which is higher than any other batch this year. In past years I have ended up with >69 and even >70 brix batches, but so far mine have all been very close to 66 brix.

Second, I have finally solved my overflowing sap storage problem. My arch can only boil @ 15gph, at most. I have, several times, had sap tsunamis that greatly exceeded that rate, and as such I end up losing sap to the floor of my sugar shack. Yesterday I added a few ball values to my main line. They help me identify leaks in the line because I can turn off large sections of the bush. But perhaps more importantly, there is one inside the pump house which turns off all taps. This turns my main line into additional storage tanks...!!!! With 400 gallons of storage on the wall, the last thing I do each day is turn that valve off. What a relief.

Not much flow in the past 2 days...a little, maybe 100 gallons each day. My forecast still has many likely sap-flowing days, the question will really be whether my trees start budding or no. Trees are budding 20 minutes from me (Beaverton, which is on the shores of Lake Simcoe), but nothing here...

naturenitwit
03-28-2017, 07:08 PM
Today has been great in a couple of ways. First, I managed to bottle 15L already today, and I could have bottled another 8L if I wanted but I decided to combine that with a batch tomorrow instead. That's my best day for finishing syrup ever. .

Hey there NTBugtraq I am just up the road from you south of Minden. I made 15 liters on Saturday. It was my biggest day ever, but was only about 8 hours of boiling on my 2x4 flat pan. I have about 50, 4 gallon buckets that were full, but were at least 3/4 ice. The remain 1/4 was highly concentrated sap that was sticky to the touch. It was like I had an RO machine. I likely left some good sugar in the pails but the ice is hopefully keeping this weeks run ice cool. I will be back on friday night to start it all over again. My bloody day job keeps getting in the way of the real work. Here's hoping for a cool down to kick start the trees for the weekend.

NTBugtraq
03-28-2017, 07:35 PM
Hey there NTBugtraq I am just up the road from you south of Minden. I made 15 liters on Saturday. It was my biggest day ever, but was only about 8 hours of boiling on my 2x4 flat pan. I have about 50, 4 gallon buckets that were full, but were at least 3/4 ice. The remain 1/4 was highly concentrated sap that was sticky to the touch. It was like I had an RO machine. I likely left some good sugar in the pails but the ice is hopefully keeping this weeks run ice cool. I will be back on friday night to start it all over again. My bloody day job keeps getting in the way of the real work. Here's hoping for a cool down to kick start the trees for the weekend.

lolz, you fight the right...;-]

Hkb82
03-29-2017, 03:43 PM
Dripping reall good today. I collected about 35g from yesterday's and the day before. No doubt I will have another 40-50g tomorrow with the way they were going today.

c0ps
03-29-2017, 08:57 PM
Its been quite here

Run Forest Run!
03-29-2017, 09:56 PM
Diddly squat here today too.

Hkb82
03-30-2017, 11:01 AM
Well the drip yesterday could not have lasted all day. Thought I was going out to collect a good amount but was very surprised at what I found. Yesterday around 11-12ish I had most if not all buckets dripping but today I only collected 17g. Still better then nothing but what a disappointment.

NTBugtraq
03-31-2017, 10:30 AM
A few days ago I had to get to the top of my storage tank to reposition the supply pipe, so I used a little 3 stair step stool. I had to stand on the top stair, and I felt uncomfortable but it worked. Today, it didn't...my side into the top of the arch then the floor...oomph, ouch. I heard cracks in my neck and my back, but I've got full range of motion albeit it while hurting like hell.

A bit of advice; "Never use a 3 step if you can use a ladder"...

And what sucks the most is that the sap is flowing well today. Needless to day I let the fire go out.