PDA

View Full Version : Season ending in Tennessee

skidiver
02-24-2014, 11:14 AM
I collected a lot of sap this season but my taps are about done flowing.We have had the coldest Winter in over 30 years in middle Tennessee a lot of mornings down to the single digits and four mornings below zero.I expected my sap sugar content to be higher with that much freezing weather but it still only runs about 1.2% same as the last two warmer Winters.I guess that is the way it is this far south.It looks like I will have about six gallons of syrup after I boil down the rest of my sap. Skidiver;) 64 taps on 53 trees all sugar maples.

optionguru
02-24-2014, 11:18 AM
6 gallons is a lot of pancakes and french toast. We're just getting ready to start the show around here. You're probably one of the only ones in your area making the real stuff.

sapman
02-24-2014, 01:24 PM
Don't feel bad. 1.3, 1.2, and 1.4 for me so far this season. My woods tend towards not much sugar, either.

Michael Greer
02-25-2014, 06:12 AM
Finishing up already?? So if a person had a mobile sugarhouse, they could start in Tenessee, have a season, then move north and have another season. There are places in northern New England where a 100 acre woodlot is pretty affordable.

maplwrks
02-26-2014, 06:37 AM
Hang in there skidiver...It's going to freeze down there again this week....you may be back in the game!!