PDA

View Full Version : Making Walnut Syrup

Machinist67
02-24-2014, 06:31 AM
Is anybody making walnut syrup?
Looking for when the sap will flow compared to Maple sap?
Does anyone know the sugar content?
How much sap per tap to expect on buckets?
I do not want to collect it in the maple lines.
Looking to tap around 10 trees

Eric

Cabin
02-24-2014, 07:18 AM
Is anybody making walnut syrup?
Looking for when the sap will flow compared to Maple sap?
Does anyone know the sugar content?
How much sap per tap to expect on buckets?
I do not want to collect it in the maple lines.
Looking to tap around 10 trees

Eric

I have heard of walnut oil but never syrup. Now some companies do sell a poplar syrup. But it may be an interesting thing to try. Black walnuts or English???:)

Machinist67
02-24-2014, 07:22 AM
All Black Walnut trees here.

Cabin
02-24-2014, 07:29 AM
Seems it is done. http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=342650.0#axzz2uFIluMay Good luck.

happy thoughts
02-24-2014, 07:45 AM
There are a thread or two on this forum if you do a search. Here's the one I remember from last year
http://mapletrader.com/community/showthread.php?19879-Tapped-some-black-walnut-trees...-what-an-interesting-flavor-syrup!&highlight=walnut+syrup

Sounds like they run at the same time as maple.

I've been thinking of tapping some hickories this year. I know a flavored syrup can be made from their bark but also think they can be tapped. Anyone ever tried it?

Homespun
02-24-2014, 02:02 PM
This will be my first year making syrup.
4 of my 6 backyard trees I'll be tapping are black walnut.
We'll see how it goes, regarding sap amount & sugar levels compared to my maples.
I've noticed my black walnuts are always the last trees to bud and leaf out in spring and the first to lose leaves in the fall, so maybe the sap run is a little later than maples?

PACMAN
02-24-2014, 03:59 PM
I have had walnut syrup at the maple school at Paul Smiths coledge, that was sponsored by Cornell university. It was very good,a lot like maple. If I remember correctly,the walnuts dont produce as much sap as sugar maples,but the syrup was awsome.Try to contact Dr.Mike Farrel at Cornell. He makes walnut syrup.

maple marc
02-25-2014, 06:35 PM
Happy Thoughts,

The hickory syrup you reference is not made from sap. It is produced by boiling Shagbark Hickory bark in water, and then sugar is added. I have not made it, only read about it.

Homespun,

Please keep us informed of your walnut syrup efforts. I have many more walnuts than maples.

happy thoughts
02-25-2014, 07:13 PM
Happy Thoughts,

The hickory syrup you reference is not made from sap. It is produced by boiling Shagbark Hickory bark in water, and then sugar is added. I have not made it, only read about it..

Thanks maple marc. :) I'm aware of the hickory flavored syrup and even have a recipe for it but I also think that hickories can be tapped like maples. Just asking if anyone has tried it. When the weather warms again I may just throw in a tap for the heck of it just to see what happens. We have lots of hickories to spare.

Cabin
02-26-2014, 08:57 AM
I was wondering about black walnuts. They give off a toxin that inhibits plant grouth around the tree. Does that get boiled out of the sap or is it produced in the leaves?

happy thoughts
02-26-2014, 09:19 AM
Cabin- that's a good question but I think it either doesn't exist in sap or is boiled out of the syrup. Or it only inhibits plant growth and isn't toxic to humans. Black walnuts themselves are pretty edible. In my search for hickory tapping info I found this article today-

http://www.grit.com/farm-and-garden/sugar-tree-sap-zm0z13mazgou.aspx

Apparently all species of walnut are tappable including butternut. Also apparently sycamore is tappable but the syrup tastes like black strap molasses. Hickories are also tappable but it's syrup is not as flavorful as maple. I think I'm still going to try it this year just out of curiosity.

Cabin
02-26-2014, 09:51 AM
Cabin- that's a good question but I think it either doesn't exist in sap or is boiled out of the syrup. Or it only inhibits plant growth and isn't toxic to humans. Black walnuts themselves are pretty edible. In my search for hickory tapping info I found this article today-

http://www.grit.com/farm-and-garden/sugar-tree-sap-zm0z13mazgou.aspx

Apparently all species of walnut are tappable including butternut. Also apparently sycamore is tappable but the syrup tastes like black strap molasses. Hickories are also tappable but it's syrup is not as flavorful as maple. I think I'm still going to try it this year just out of curiosity.

I might check out the walnuts for next year. All the walnuts around here are stonerow trees with wire and staples in them so the lumber value is not an issue.