PDA

View Full Version : Drain evap during cold snap?

adk1
02-23-2014, 09:54 PM
Thinking I should drain my evap for this weeks cold weather. Anyone else doing the same? I don't remember draining it last year but also don't remember having a col spell like is forecast coming up.

Flat Lander Sugaring
02-23-2014, 10:20 PM
Thinking I should drain my evap for this weeks cold weather. Anyone else doing the same? I don't remember draining it last year but also don't remember having a col spell like is forecast coming up.
YES! dont take a chance

sugarsand
02-24-2014, 05:40 AM
Adk, we have left sap in our pans for weeks during real cold snaps. I will occastionally start a fire to warm things up, about every 2-3 days. We have also in the past used a heat lamp under the flues as that's were the main concern for freezing is. With smaller rigs it's probably just easier to drain them.

Sugarsand

tendermason
02-24-2014, 08:00 AM
I drained my mason 2x4.

Flat Lander Sugaring
02-24-2014, 09:39 AM
Well of you want to take a chance on splitting the flies leave it. Sure you can put a light bulb in arch or small heater but for negative temp multiple days I'm going to drain in.

mellondome
02-24-2014, 09:40 AM
Drain.. it isnt worth the risk of split flues

adk1
02-24-2014, 12:23 PM
evap drained as of this morning.

Russell Lampron
02-24-2014, 06:06 PM
I have a raised flue evaporator and have never drained it because of below zero weather and haven't had any damage. I have heard of drop flues splitting when frozen solid so if I had one of those I would drain it.

treehugger
02-24-2014, 06:28 PM
Just got done draining my raised flue. Hated to waste that sweet from the sap pan but it wasn't too great of stuff anyway. Better safe than sorry when you are dealing with this expensive stuff.

RileySugarbush
02-24-2014, 07:34 PM
I have a drop flue and have never drained it for cold weather. If it is going sub zero, I may put a 60 watt bulb in the fire box, but that is all I've ever needed.

adk1
02-24-2014, 08:10 PM
Why would you waste it? I just put it in 5 gallon buckets with lids

Tom_saw
02-25-2014, 04:37 AM
If I were to drain the evaporator and put the sweet in buckets , will it last until this cold front goes thru . Maybe 5-6 days ?

BreezyHill
02-25-2014, 07:38 AM
I am planning on it lasting. I just drained ours this am and have it in buckets that will freeze will the temps of today and tonight. I plan to check on it this evening and pull ice off of tops.

It will freeze nicely and be all set for the next run.

No worries.

blac
02-25-2014, 08:02 AM
Do what makes you comfortable but for my two cents I don't drain my 2x8 raised flue and have never had a problem. I have a small electric heater that sit inside the firebox on a timer if I get real nervous.

Springfield Acer
02-25-2014, 08:07 PM
I drained my 2 x 6 RF tonight for a couple reasons.
First, I hate to have my evaporator's life and my season depend on a light bulb or heater when there's no temps above freezing for quite a while like now (at least 10 days and some nights below zero).
Second, my little ceramic heater does not regulate down very low. My syrup and sap stay about 50* which I'd rather not maintain for long periods lest it be just like raw sap sitting for long periods at warm temps.
I put mine in 5 gallon plastic square containers and leaving them to partially freeze if they want to (nature's RO).

adk1
02-25-2014, 08:20 PM
Yup same here. Clean 5 gallon buckets with lids. No issues when it's this cold. I also filter it using a prefilters. I will rinse evap out with 15 gallons of hot water and scrub and drain before the filtered consent rate goes back in. There was quite a bit of sugars and and stuff after the first boil

CampHamp
02-26-2014, 12:36 AM
Another approach told to me by one of the pros here is to keep the sap in the pans above freezing and then boil the sap in the pans every few days to kill bacteria.