PDA

View Full Version : having trouble reaching proper density

Kyle M
02-23-2014, 06:31 PM
It seems.when I am boiling I can never reach proper density on the hydrometer regardless of.measured.temp. I'm using and.oil tank but finishing on a turkey fryer. When the syrup foams up and.leaves a.sticky coating on the sides of my stock pot could it.be lowering my density?

happy thoughts
02-23-2014, 06:50 PM
\When the syrup foams up and.leaves a.sticky coating on the sides of my stock pot could it.be lowering my density?

Doubtful because the foam should be skimmed off anyway if you're not using defoamer. But that said, if you have a hydrometer that you know reads accurately, don't worry about the temp. Go for density. Just use the temp reading as a ballpark figure for when to start checking.

bcarpenter
02-23-2014, 07:38 PM
If you trust the hydrometer keep going regardless of temperature. May be time for a second hydrometer for peace of mind and possibly a second thermometer too. I would make sure that the tip of the thermometer is is not resting on the bottom of the pot and giving you a false reading.

Kyle M
02-23-2014, 07:47 PM
I lost.Faith in the thermometer today but the hydrometer
is brand new from leader

sugarridge48
02-23-2014, 08:25 PM
I lost.Faith in the thermometer today but the hydrometer
is brand new from leader

Finish temp can change with altitude and barometric pressure. A local sugar house useses his hydrometer to test his first syrup of the day When its where he wants it to be he takes temp of finished syrup. That temp is the benchmark for the day. Make sure hydrometer. Is clean of any residue this can cause a false reading.

michiganphil
02-24-2014, 01:51 PM
When the syrup foams up and.leaves a.sticky coating on the sides of my stock pot could it.be lowering my density?

You're not testing in the stock pot WHILE boiling, are you? You won't get an accurate reading on the hydrometer unless you actually take a sample, or turn the burner off and let the pot settle.

Kyle M
02-24-2014, 07:15 PM
You're not testing in the stock pot WHILE boiling, are you? You won't get an accurate reading on the hydrometer unless you actually take a sample, or turn the burner off and let the pot settle.
No I am using a test cup from leader. I maybe a small time newbie. But not that new

Kyle M
02-24-2014, 08:22 PM
New electric thermometer today and right now I'm boiling at 232 degrees but only coming up with about 65 brix

adk1
02-24-2014, 08:27 PM
Boiling at 232? Seems odd?

Kyle M
02-24-2014, 10:05 PM
Boiling at 232? Seems odd?I agree. I don't no what is going on. I'm checking temp during my test and used the correction table found in north American producers.guide. however tastes good good color and consistency and I'm only selling.to family and friends so I bottled it. Trying to get.up the mountains this weekend to check out a large operation. Gonna try to educate myself a little better

Quagmire33
02-25-2014, 06:19 AM
232 degrees is right around the temp for making maple cream. If your thermometer is new, I'd check your hydrometer.

happy thoughts
02-25-2014, 06:40 AM
232 is way off the mark and a lot more than I'd expect. Something isn't right. Have you tested the thermometer in boiling water? If you haven't you need to figure out what the boiling point should be at your location at the time you test. You'll need to know your elevation and barometric pressure. You can use a calculator like this one

http://www.thermoworks.com/software/bpcalc.html

Your thermometer should come close to that by no more or less than a degree or two.

lpakiz
02-25-2014, 06:43 AM
Kyle,
When you go "up the mountain this weekend to educate yourself" take your hydrometer and thermometer along. Perhaps the good folks you are visiting can check your instruments against the ones they are using.

Kyle M
02-25-2014, 06:47 AM
Kyle,
When you go "up the mountain this weekend to educate yourself" take your hydrometer and thermometer along. Perhaps the good folks you are visiting can check your instruments against the ones they are using.
I was planning on doing just that

wiam
02-25-2014, 07:07 AM
A quick test would be to pour a little of that hot syrup on snow. If it stays on top the thermometer is pretty close.
I try to always have at least 2 hydrometers on hand so I can check one against the other.