PDA

View Full Version : Syrup Pricing

Saltlick
02-23-2014, 02:37 PM
Last year a fairly large grocery chain, was getting 13.50 per quart and 26.79 per 1/2 gal. for dark amber. Is this reasonable? I don't make much syrup, give most of it away. But these prices seem pretty low, for what goes into it.
What's reasonable, for a small producer?
BJS

jmayerl
02-23-2014, 05:11 PM
Those are low, for that price I could buy, resell, and make money. But every region us different and we can't tell where this is at.

Saltlick
02-27-2014, 10:32 AM
Just came back from chain store.. Same prices this year, as last year. Grade A Dark Amber.. This grocery chain is huge in upstate NY, northern PA and NJ. I guess I have an idea what to price syrup at..Still seems low. But they are the competition. BJS

Cabin
02-27-2014, 11:04 AM
Just came back from chain store.. Same prices this year, as last year. Grade A Dark Amber.. This grocery chain is huge in upstate NY, northern PA and NJ. I guess I have an idea what to price syrup at..Still seems low. But they are the competition. BJS

While I do not intend to get into selling it seems to me that the 'craft' should be promoted over the product.

Loch Muller
02-27-2014, 12:20 PM
Seems too low. I'm new to selling, but have checked prices of a couple producers in northern new york and they are higher than that and not seeming to have any trouble selling their syrup. Not sure what store your pricing at but I've looked a couple places in Glens Falls as well as the local store where I live and they are all between $19 to $24 per quart in plastic jugs. I'll be lower those places. People that like to buy locally and know the first name of the person who produced their food will pay a fair price. Also if you find you can't sell at your price its easy to go down to move some product, but harder to go up.

maple flats
02-27-2014, 12:25 PM
They are not really your competition. Sell it for the right price, don't even attempt to go that low. If a customer asks why your syrup is $2 or 3 more, tell them that the store knows what their syrup is worth. Explain how you make yours and give small samples (use little sample cups, I use 3/4 oz ones). They will buy from you because they like to know where things come from that they eat.
My local super market has 3 different labels and they get $13.79, $14.49 and $15.97 (organic). I sell QTS. for $17.00, not labeled organic and I sell more than I make (I need to buy bulk to meet my demand).
Don't be afraid of them.

Run Forest Run!
02-27-2014, 01:02 PM
Saltlick, expecially those of us reading your thread who have a background in marketing and advertising are just dying here! Maple Flat's response is bang on. Listen to what he is telling you. The big chains are not your competition. Don't sell yourself, and your wonderful product, short.

Your operation is the kind of set-up that won't make you rich if you try to compete with the big boys, so you need to market your product differently. Remember why you got into this in the first place and sell "the experience" along with the product. You need to differentiate yourself and promote your product to the type of customer who seeks out local products. There are plenty of customers out there who will beat a path to your sugarhouse to get some of your boutique product. Get the word out to the right people, and stand back!

"If you boil it, they will come." ;)

NH Maplemaker
02-27-2014, 03:12 PM
Another thing to remember is that when someone buys syrup from a large chain store they are not getting one producers syrup! They are getting syrup from maybe as many as a hundred different producers! It's a lot of bulk syrup mixed together in most cases! Not the unique flavor of a local farmer!!

Russell Lampron
02-27-2014, 05:10 PM
Last year a fairly large grocery chain, was getting 13.50 per quart and 26.79 per 1/2 gal. for dark amber. Is this reasonable? I don't make much syrup, give most of it away. But these prices seem pretty low, for what goes into it.
What's reasonable, for a small producer?
BJS

The local stores around here sell a qt of syrup for around $13 and they sell plenty of it. I sell mine for $18 a quart and have no problem selling all that I can make. Some of my customers have told me that they used to buy the $13 stuff and like the taste of mine much better. They must because they keep coming back for more. Some of them will give me a 20 and not want the change back.

Dave is selling his too cheap at $17 a quart with the market that he has. He could go up a $1 and no one would question it.

collinsmapleman2012
02-27-2014, 05:49 PM
You should never compete on price with a larger firm; that is just basic marketing, rather utilize the best selling points you have at your disposal. I.E. local, know your food, etc.

Loch Muller
02-27-2014, 05:55 PM
Well I guess I'm going to the wrong stores to check prices, or the local ones here are jacking the price up since its miles and miles to the next store and were in a tourism based town. Either way $13 is too low for quart jugs, don't cheat yourself.

mapleguy
02-27-2014, 06:40 PM
Around my area there are guys selling for $35/gallon. Tough to compete with that.

BreezyHill
02-27-2014, 06:46 PM
I agree, they are not the competition...they are just a place looking to make a $.

You on the other hand are making a gourmet product. There's is just a sweetener.

You can provide a learning experience and education to the customer that a store can not,
you are a steward of the land
and most of all you are
A FARMER...Welcome to the 1/4 of 1% that feeds the world!

Charge a fair price for what you provide. Fair to you and to the consumer.

Quarts are not a big seller for me it is either 1/2 gallons or glass 250 ml. Our qts are $23. Plastic is a slow mover while glass flies out the door.

Ben

maple marc
02-27-2014, 09:25 PM
It's frustrating when the guy at the other end of the farmer's market is selling plastic quarts for $12. There is a lot of syrup in Ohio. We try not to compete on price. As one marketing guru at the Maple Days Conference said, "If you try to compete on price, someone will always be cheaper than you." We sell in beautiful glass bottles for $9 and $15, half pints and pints. We're proud of how our syrup sparkles. We also sell confections, which sets us apart. Still, it's harder to sell syrup here than it was a couple of years ago.

happy thoughts
02-28-2014, 09:03 AM
A little off topic but curious- Does syrup sold in VT and NH bring a better price? It seems to me it should because of the higher minimum density required by law. Just wondering what the price difference might be if there is one.

optionguru
02-28-2014, 09:15 AM
In my area a gallon goes for $55 to $60.

spud
02-28-2014, 05:15 PM
Around my area there are guys selling for $35/gallon. Tough to compete with that.

In my area the going rate seems to be $40.00 gallon.

Flat Lander Sugaring
02-28-2014, 05:40 PM
In my area the going rate seems to be $40.00 gallon.
Spud you sell sap man :D
JK miss you man

Scribner's Mountain Maple
02-28-2014, 05:52 PM
Where I am the Supermarket sells Qt's for 20, I have seen 35 a Qt for Combs organic. That stuff must me magical.

I sell retail wholesale to local stores for 10 a pint, 15Qt, 25 1/2 Gal and 44 a gal. That seems fair. All in glass. They mark it up 50% and sell it everytime. Walmart sells Qt's for 15 in plastic.

One time by accident a client marked my syrup up wrong. Instead of adding 33% or 50% to my price, they doubled my prices. Sold it all in the normal time frame. They sold pints for 20 and qt's for 30. No sweat. Syrup is worth what you can get someone to pay for it.

Maple Mist
02-28-2014, 07:12 PM
at which market did you see qts for $12 maple mist.

CampHamp
02-28-2014, 08:17 PM
Us maple producers might learn something from wine makers...

The most prized French wines will claim "Mis en Bouteille au Chateau" which means they used their own grapes in their wine. The fine wine consumer understands the benefits they are getting in this case: (1) the entire production (soil to bottle) was over-seen by a trusted proprietor, and (2) natural environmental factors will affect the fruit, so a more precise regional definition will offer a more specific and consistent taste.

maple marc
02-28-2014, 09:11 PM
Maple Mist,
$12 for a plastic quart at most farmers' markets in Champaign County (Urbana). I've heard it's even cheaper in some of the Amish areas. It's an unfortunate situation of lots of syrup being produced, and not many buyers who appreciate the good stuff.

Ittiz
03-02-2014, 05:22 PM
I'd have to check this year, but Parker's Maple barn down the street from me was selling for $16 qt last year. I've never made enough to sell it so I've got no price. Haven't really ever considered selling it since Parker's is so near by. I've been thinking of selling birch syrup since no one around here does, a lot more work though.

DaveB
03-02-2014, 05:35 PM
Us maple producers might learn something from wine makers...

The most prized French wines will claim "Mis en Bouteille au Chateau" which means they used their own grapes in their wine. The fine wine consumer understands the benefits they are getting in this case: (1) the entire production (soil to bottle) was over-seen by a trusted proprietor, and (2) natural environmental factors will affect the fruit, so a more precise regional definition will offer a more specific and consistent taste.

I tell folks all the time that maple syrup is like wine and that each area has it's own unique flavor. It all depends on soil and types of trees. I just happen to think that CT maple syrup is the best, particularly NE CT. ;)

marktripp
03-08-2014, 01:57 PM
Its all about your audience, your specific market, and selling power. I would feel horrible selling my syrup at the price listed in the link below, but look at all the good reviews on it. Just crazy.

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/71493?productId=1185314&qs=3016887_mercent_google_pla&attrValue_0=Not%20Applicable&mr:trackingCode=FD5C7496-B0F0-E211-A497-90E2BA285E75&mr:referralID=NA&mr:device=c&mr:adType=pla&mkwid=qMaR2816_dc&pcrid=34644938457

SWohio
03-08-2014, 05:21 PM
how will the customer know they are getting premium quality if they are not paying a premium price?

maple2
03-08-2014, 05:43 PM
We have been selling quarts for $20 for the last 4yrs. with no complaints. The $13.50 BJs stuff is for people that just want cheap syrup, not caring where it comes from. People will pay a premium price for a quality product. Buying local and actually meeting the producer or farmer is a big thing in our area. Some customers suggest we should charge more!

michiganphil
03-10-2014, 10:30 AM
... It's an unfortunate situation of lots of syrup being produced, and not many buyers who appreciate the good stuff.

The buyers at the farm market may very well appreciate "the good stuff". They are buying real maple syrup, aren't they? The fact that you are implying an inferior product just because they sell it cheaper is just not true. This seems to come up on threads every once & a while, don't bash other producers; just market yourself, your process, and your individual product to justify your selling point.

michiganphil
03-10-2014, 10:34 AM
how will the customer know they are getting premium quality if they are not paying a premium price?

This quote insinuates that you have to pay a lot for a good product, which is simply untrue.

They'll know they are getting a quality product because you'll tell them! Again, SELL YOURSELF. People see quality when they can understand where the product comes from and how it's made, not just because of a high price tag.

Ittiz
03-10-2014, 01:29 PM
I'd have to check this year, but Parker's Maple barn down the street from me was selling for $16 qt last year. I've never made enough to sell it so I've got no price. Haven't really ever considered selling it since Parker's is so near by. I've been thinking of selling birch syrup since no one around here does, a lot more work though.

So yeah, I checked Parker's today and their $20 a quart, regardless of grade.