PDA

View Full Version : Should I boil today or wait? Not sure if I have enough sap.

BlueberryHill
02-23-2014, 09:08 AM
I just added to my evaporator. I have a Mason 2x3 and I just added a flat 2x4 welded SS pan onto the back of it. So it's 2x7 now.

I have 54 gallons of sap in a plastic 55-gallon drum. From the extended forecast it looks like a good solid week of freeze, so no more sap in the near future.

Should I just bury that drum in a snowbank and save it until next week? Will the drum crack if it freezes solid?

Or should I just run my evap for a few hours and sweeten the pan. I can't imagine I will get any syrup off of it with only 55 gal. At least not very much before I have to shut down. My biggest concern is letting the sweetened pans freeze. I have never left the pan full for such a long time and certainly not when it was as cold as it is supposed to get mid-week. Single digits overnight.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

SmellsLikeSyrupNH
02-23-2014, 09:12 AM
Boil! I'm jealous you got that much.....you can always draw off what you have and freeze it again at a higher concentration then add to your next boil.....I only got 9 gallons I'm jealous. I have to wait to boil until I get at least 50 gals....

Michael Greer
02-23-2014, 10:07 AM
The rule of thumb is to treat sap like fresh milk. You should probably process it right away, and start over fresh on the next run.