PDA

View Full Version : Why the extra pan

tonka
02-23-2014, 08:50 AM
On some boiling rigs, there is the flue pan in back and in front there are 2 pans or one big pan that has dividers in it, my question is, is there any difference between a divider pan vs 2 individual pans?

DrTimPerkins
02-23-2014, 09:04 AM
On some boiling rigs, there is the flue pan in back and in front there are 2 pans or one big pan that has dividers in it, my question is, is there any difference between a divider pan vs 2 individual pans?

There are two primary styles of front (syrup) pans. One is the reverse-flow pan, where typically there is a single pan (with a variable number of dividers), with the sap/syrup running front-to-back. These are typically set up so you can draw-off on either side. You deal with the build up of niter by reversing the flow in the front pan, at least until the build-up gets too great. Historically these types of pans were more common in the U.S.

The other style of front pan is the cross-flow pan. Typically there are two or more cross-flow pans, and these often have their own dividers. The pans are plumbed in series, and the sap/syrup normally runs side-to-side or "cross" ways. Generally you draw off on only one side. This style of pan deals with niter by removing the pan closest to the draw-off, pulling the other front-pans forward, and putting a spare cross-flow pan in the back position. Then the pan that came out is cleaned. Historically these were the style of pans used in parts of Canada.

Now there are hybrid pans that combine some of the features of both, or various styles.

tonka
02-23-2014, 01:11 PM
Thanks Tim!! I have another question: I will be making my own 4x10 (4x6 flue pan and a 4x4/2-2x4 syrup pan). When pluming all the pans together I was planning on using all 3" fittings, will that size fittings be plenty big for proper sap flow from pan to pan?

DrTimPerkins
02-23-2014, 01:51 PM
I was planning on using all 3" fittings, will that size fittings be plenty big for proper sap flow from pan to pan?

That size is way big enough.

tonka
02-23-2014, 02:38 PM
That size is way big enough.

If 3 inch is a bit over kill I just might go down to 2" fittings. Thanks again Doc!

wiam
02-23-2014, 02:48 PM
2" will be fine.