PDA

View Full Version : When to tap in Maine?

efoyt
02-23-2014, 05:38 AM
This is my second season and my first starting at the beginning of the maple flow. When should I tap my trees? I live in central Maine...Monmouth. We are a zone 5b although after this winter they might put us back to a zone 4. So should I tap now or wait a few weeks?

everbuddy
02-23-2014, 06:15 AM
I'm in Bowdoinham and wasn't quite ready to tap yet, so waiting until it warms back up.

tendermason
02-23-2014, 06:35 AM
Augusta here and got 150 taps in and they been running well.Evaping today.

happy thoughts
02-23-2014, 07:33 AM
I'm far from Maine but deciding when to tap is pretty much the same everywhere. Look for day temps above freezing and freezing (but not frigid) night temps. Keep an eye on the 2 week forecast for your area You can use a free weather service like any of these which can give you a forecast for your town or zip code.

http://www.weather.com/
http://www.accuweather.com
http://www.wunderground.com/

Most of the NE is headed for another cold blast for the next 7-10 days. It's unlikely sap will flow for most of us unless the forecast changes drastically. You can tap now and wait for the good weather in a week or so or hold off a week. It depends on how many taps you plan on putting in and how much time you have to do that. If you're just putting a few taps in and using conventional taps (not CV's) then it might pay to wait a bit so the tap holes are fresher when the sap starts to run again.

Good luck and have a great season.

efoyt
03-01-2014, 06:10 AM
Ok...so I'm thinking about putting my taps in today or tomorrow with the idea that they will be in when the sap starts to flow next Friday and Saturday. Any downside to putting taps in 6 days before the sap flows?

GramaCindy
03-01-2014, 06:37 AM
Hello and welcome efoyt! If you are only putting in a few or up to 50 taps, maybe wait until the weather REALLY is at the correct temps. I have counted on forecasts too often and been disappointed when it didn't warm up for a few weeks. Once your taps are in, and the temps are above freezing during the day, microbial growth can start in the tap holes. This is a normal occurance, but limits the amount of time that the tap hole will produce good quality sap. That being said, if it is too cold for the sap to flow, the microbial growth will be greatly reduced as well. This is my 4th year and I have screwed up tapping by a week or so each year. Last year we had some very late snows, late April and even one in early May! I tapped in Mid March….my normal time, and didn't have any sap until early to mid April. Check the historic averages on some of the weather sites mentioned here. Also consider which way if on a hill that your trees face. That can matter also.

Good Luck and enjoy the fun!

efoyt
03-05-2014, 05:19 AM
Ok...so Friday,Saturday, Sunday,and Monday all look to be above freezing. The sap was already running when I tapped last year so the beginning of the year is new to me. Can I expect to get a good amount of sap in those days? I have around 50 taps out right now.

happy thoughts
03-05-2014, 05:35 AM
We can hope! :) But one thing I've learned making syrup is not to count my chickens. If like me you're on gravity and not running vacuum then we'll get what Mother Nature wants to give us. Now keeping my fingers crossed that this warmup actually happens.

Good luck this year to you and all of us!

Kacey small scale maple
03-05-2014, 07:36 AM
Yup, I'm tappin thurs or fri good luck everyone 😊

davrhods
03-05-2014, 02:38 PM
This weekend looks like we may be close, but don't mix the pancake batter yet.