PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone help with this pump

schmidt's
02-22-2014, 08:34 PM
A neighbor has this pump I can't find any tags or name on it. Has anyone seen this type of pump and have any info. He said it had 2hp motor and bought it at an auction hasn't milked since the '80's.

maple flats
02-23-2014, 04:38 AM
Don't know who made it, but it is a vane pump. Assuming the motor was matched correctly to the pump, it might be in the neighborhood of 25-30 CFM @ 15" vac. If it sat that long the vanes might well be stuck to the housing, or not free to move in their slots. Does it turn by hand? Bearings if needed should not be an issue. remove the bolts holding the pulley end end plate and try to slide the shaft out. If you still have found no names or numbers, gently remove the vanes. If the look OK carefully clean the slots each vane set in and clean the vanes themselves. Use Kerosene if needed, but wipe clean after and then lightly coat with vacuum oil before reassembly. Check the housing chamber, it will likely need to be honed (check a machine shop if needed, any roughness must be removed) The box on top looks to be an oil reservois. Make sure to clean it and be certain the oil can pass thru from that tank to the bearings on each end. If vane replacement is necessary, get all the measurements you can and try to order from a larger dairy parts vender by size. If the bearings need replacing, just remove them and take to a full line bearing vender. If you can read the numbers off the bearing (stamped in one side of the bearing edge) that is all you need, mfgr. and number)
Good luck.

BAP
02-23-2014, 11:46 AM
EZMILKING.COM in Pennslyvania has a lot of vacuum pumps and parts for them. I have bought oil reclaimers and vanes from them to fix up older pumps.

BreezyHill
02-23-2014, 09:53 PM
That may be a westfalia...that was the greenish cooler they had; but the end cap on the housing is throwing me off. never seen that before. I would send a pic to a surge dealer and ask them if they know.

Good luck!