PDA

View Full Version : Propane torch as a fire starter?

DaveB
02-21-2014, 06:41 PM
I think I've used just about everything to get the fire going and now I'm considering using a propane torch and I'm wondering if anyone else does or has done this. I have been using a Bernzomatic torch but even that I need to have kindling wood, start small and build up. I can usually get a good fire going and a rolling boil within 30 minutes. The propane torch is so intense I'm thinking a couple of minutes of full flame will ignite just about anything and get a full fire going with dry wood. I've seen videos of people starting fires with the propane torch but I'm wondering if anyone here has used one in the firebox.

This year I'm getting new air tight arch (the fan will not be hooked up this year) and I'm planning on bricking just the firebox and using several layers of ceramic blanket throughout. My understanding is that without all the bricks that heat is not "wasted" heating them and that the insulation will keep it under the pan so start up and shut down should be faster and dependent on the fire. That's why I'm trying to determine what is the best way to get a full fire going. Is the torch the best way to go or am I missing something?

Flat Lander Sugaring
02-21-2014, 06:52 PM
hell yes blue flame and heat let it rip

Sweet Shady Lane
02-21-2014, 06:54 PM
I use one to, As long as your kindling is dry it works great. I start with cedar kindling and then stack my fire wood on top and start the torch and a boiling we go

Flat Lander Sugaring
02-21-2014, 07:12 PM
beer boxes, they ignite unbelievably.

tendermason
02-21-2014, 07:12 PM
I use torch for every fire i start. No matches or lighter.

Russell Lampron
02-21-2014, 07:38 PM
I use a Berzomatic torch to light my evaporator and as soon as I have flame I plug in the blower. I stack crumpled newspapers, kindling and firewood to fill the firebox. I have steam rising in a few minutes and can have my first draw off 20 minutes later.

bamboozled
02-21-2014, 09:31 PM
I use a 'candy cane' to start charcoal in my hog roaster. It's a weed burner, that uses the little propane tanks, bought it at Lowes. It would work good because you can stand up and use it, I think it cost like 30 bucks.

EDIT: Maybe it was on sale, here is an example:

http://www.toolking.com/bernzomatic-94482-jt850-propane-gas-outdoor-torch?CAWELAID=1442418089&catargetid=1924998172&cadevice=c&cagpspn=pla&gclid=CKOKnaHm3rwCFedAMgodzFYADQ

Z/MAN
02-21-2014, 09:38 PM
I stick my propane leaf torch hooked up to my #20 cylinder in the ash box and have a boil in about 12 minutes!

MISugarDaddy
02-22-2014, 05:02 AM
A torch works great for that purpose as well as starting a fire in the house fireplace. On my arch I just wedge the torch with the door and let it burn on the kindling pile for a few minutes while I am getting other things ready for the day.

maple flats
02-22-2014, 05:55 AM
I used a standard soldering torch a few years, but the last several I've used a 500,000 BTU weed burner at about 1/2 throttle. I lay up the fire, criss crossed, no kindling and then light the torch, I then hold the flame above the wood, pointing back to establish a good draft, (about 3-4 seconds). Then I lay the torch head on the bottom of the door opening and rest the other end on a metal folding chair. I do something else while it lights for about 2-3 minutes. Then I shut off the torch, the fire is fully lit, I close the doors and turn on the blower for AUF/AOF. The blower runs non stop until done for the day. My torch runs off my bulk propane tank, that is outside and a 3/4" pipe with several take offs runs along one wall. I make sure the tank is full to start the season and in most seasons it lasts til after the season. I run my bottler, the torch, a HW heater and my 2x6 finisher off that tank. It's the smallest bulk tank, takes 40 gal to fill to max fill level if completely empty. Last fill up from 22% full to max ran just under $100.

kiteflyingeek
02-24-2014, 10:25 AM
While not a propane starting method, I thought I'd share my method. My family eats popcorn for supper every week and our serving 'bowl' is a grocery paper bag. I stuff that used bag with all things burnable and put it in the firebox. I poke holes in the last few inches of the bottom and use those holes to light it. Fairly quickly, I have fire.

Hope that concept help someone.

--andrew

MapleME
03-23-2014, 07:33 PM
i never use matches just the cheap blue propane torch. works like a chahmm, as we say here in maine. don't even think I have a lighter in the sugarhouse. I also use it on the wood stove to get her cooking when it dies totally. Honey badger aint got time to stand around!

adk1
03-23-2014, 07:37 PM
Yup propane torch, only way to go. I use some cardboard first, then lay on the pine and torch it.

maplestudent
03-24-2014, 11:08 AM
I save any bark from white birches that I find on the ground. If it falls off dried wood, I put it aside. It is great for starting fires. I put it under the kindling and use a propane torch on it for about 10 seconds to get it going. The oils in it are highly flammable, and it will burn even when wet (which makes it a top choice for survivalists).