PDA

View Full Version : Keeping "sweet" sap in steam pans

valleyman
02-21-2014, 03:44 PM
I'm embarrassed to ask since I've been doing this for five years now and have a good handle on the process and my workflow.

Background on my typical workflow. I'm a weekend boiler using 4 steam pans and a feed tank and I collect sap during the work work keeping it cold in a barrel buried in snow.

I boil on Saturdays getting 20-40 gallons down to 4-5. pour it off into bucket.

I clean my pans and have them ready for the next weekend. I normally finish the 4-5 gal on Sundays on Propane.

Since I dont have much sap for this weekend I hope for 20 gal but not sure.

My question is what are you thoughts on me boiling whatever I have down to the 4-5gal and keeping it in the pan(s)? And resuming boiling the following weekend with fresh sap in the rear pans and the previous weeks in the front pan(s). I'll cover the pans to keep debris out.

The primary reason I'm asking is I'm so limited on time this weekend. Back to back obligations both days this weekend.

Thanks

happy thoughts
02-21-2014, 04:41 PM
I take it that you're trying to save time with clean up??? I'm probably going to be in the same situation with only about 20 gals to boil this weekend. With an outdoor block arch there's a couple of things I'd be worried about if you were to leave the sweet stuff for a week - critters, even if you could get it well covered, spoilage if the temps are mild, and warped pans if gets cold and the sweet sap freezes in your steam pans.

Next week doesn't look great for any kind of sap run around here with temps heading back into single digits at night and it looks about the same in your area, I think you're between a rock and a hard place because I have a feeling there won't be much to boil next weekend. I'd probably shoot for boiling a little further this Sat to reduce the volume to a gallon or 2 then throw it into a smaller container that could be refrigerated or frozen. Or use the sap for coffee or just donate the sap to the sap gods and start fresh when the runs really get started and you have the time to boil.

Good luck and have a great season!