PDA

View Full Version : Sap Discoloration

Lou
02-21-2014, 01:59 PM
Just started tapping trees on my property. 2 sugar maples and about 12 Norway Maples. On 2 of the Norway Maples, the sap had a yellowish tint to it. All the other buckets were clear. Why is this and what does it mean?

happy thoughts
02-21-2014, 02:17 PM
If it's been raining it could be discolored water dripping down the trunk and into the buckets. At least that's what I've blamed it on. I've noticed this from time to time usually from taps put into a leaning tree so that water can funnel onto the spout. I've always tossed discolored sap until it runs clear again This early in the year that's about all I can think of but others may have some other ideas.

sugarridge48
02-21-2014, 02:32 PM
If it's been raining it could be discolored water dripping down the trunk and into the buckets. At least that's what I've blamed it on. I've noticed this from time to time usually from taps put into a leaning tree so that water can funnel onto the spout. I've always tossed discolored sap until it runs clear again This early in the year that's about all I can think of but others may have some other ideas.

Its been raining and tops of my buckets have yellow water where it has dripped from the tree

Biz
02-21-2014, 03:39 PM
I've also noticed that on the first run of the year the sap isn't as clear as on later runs. Never figured out why but I blamed it on the equipment, slight rust on some spigots etc. Wait tilll the next run and see what it looks like then.

325abn
02-21-2014, 04:14 PM
Rain water.

Sandersyrup
02-21-2014, 04:15 PM
I have a Red Maple that has a yellowish tint to the sap. It has nothing to do with rain or equipment, its the sap for sure. The tree itself is a misfit. It runs well (and more clear) only on really warm days 50ºF and on cool days is drips yellow sap slowly.

I try to separate this sap out of any possible Light Amber batches I might be hoping for and save it for a darker batch. Otherwise I quit wondering why its yellow. The sugar content is 2.5% and it still makes a yummy and possibly darker syrup. Nothing to worry about as far as making syrup is concerned.

But I do agree, it would be interesting to know what is going on inside that tree.

325abn
02-21-2014, 04:27 PM
Rain water has been making yellow sap forever.

I wonder what the good DR. will have to say about the yellow sap from the tree.

maplerookie
02-21-2014, 04:29 PM
If it's been raining it could be discolored water dripping down the trunk and into the buckets. At least that's what I've blamed it on. I've noticed this from time to time usually from taps put into a leaning tree so that water can funnel onto the spout. I've always tossed discolored sap until it runs clear again This early in the year that's about all I can think of but others may have some other ideas. This early in the season and since we are gonna get a freeze again for a few days I really hate to toss out the sap. little rain water will boil right out and this first batch will certainly be used here on the homestead.

psparr
02-21-2014, 04:39 PM
Could be pulling sap from a diseased part of the tree. Two years ago I had sap coming out that was a beautiful dark amder. Too bad it wasnt syrup.

happy thoughts
02-21-2014, 05:02 PM
This early in the season and since we are gonna get a freeze again for a few days I really hate to toss out the sap. little rain water will boil right out and this first batch will certainly be used here on the homestead.

Whether to toss or not is a personal decision and I'm not going to try to change your mind:). It may make perfectly good syrup though it may contain little sugar if very diluted. In my case it's not the rain water I'm worried about but dirt, mold, yeast, bacteria, and animal droppings that may have mixed with the rainwater. If the sap is going to be kept for any length of time that could lead to faster spoilage and possibly off flavors. If I was going to store it for a few days, I'd probably not mix it with my clear sap until it was time to boil it.

happy thoughts
02-21-2014, 05:08 PM
Could be pulling sap from a diseased part of the tree. Two years ago I had sap coming out that was a beautiful dark amder. Too bad it wasnt syrup.

Do you remember the red sap that I think runforestrun had last year from a box elder? That was a sight to see. I think that was caused by a fungus or something. I don't remember if she used it or not but it was also beautiful. Ah, the wonders of nature:)

Run Forest Run!
02-21-2014, 05:44 PM
To follow up on happy thoughts' comments, once of my box elders had bright magenta wood. When I pulled out the drill bit I thought I'd guttted a squirrel. While I expected to see anything from clear to red sap, it only ever gave me crystal clear sap. Apparently the red stained wood is caused by the boxelder bug.

It does this to wood;

Pretty cool isn't it?

325abn
02-21-2014, 06:04 PM
That is pretty cool for sure!

happy thoughts
02-21-2014, 06:17 PM
Karen that wood is beautiful though for some reason I remembered the sap as red, too,. Obviously, I am not a reliable witness lol :)

Have you thought about having that tree milled? I bet it would bring a good price from wood carvers.

Run Forest Run!
02-21-2014, 06:33 PM
Should I ever decide to remove that tree from the property, you can bet that I'll make sure that the wood goes to good use. For the time being I'm going to be squeezing every drop of sap that it will give.

Lou
02-21-2014, 08:52 PM
It was raining quite a bit although the buckets were covered. rainwater on the lids was yellowish. I'm certain some could have found its way into the buckets. given the above advise I will keep an eye on it and separate the yellowish sap and boil down separately. I'm a first timer but don't want to waste efforts. I have 21 taps out and got about 12 gallons in the first 18 hours. Thank you all for the advice!

Tom59
02-22-2014, 12:18 PM
Im curious also. I am running tubing into 5 gallon water bottles. Checked today and two bottles from the same tree , one crystal clear, the other one looks like urine. see pic. Tree is in good shape, tapped in a good clean area. This is a very large sugar maple. Hope the Doc chimes in.8831

jmayerl
02-22-2014, 01:33 PM
If you can't attribute it to rain water then there is likely internal damage like a hollow spot near the tap hole.

Lou
02-22-2014, 05:58 PM
It must have been the rainwater -- Today's crop was crystal clear!

Tom59
02-23-2014, 06:36 PM
I checked my trees this am. The one that had the discolored sap was nice and clear like the rest of them.

Lou
02-23-2014, 08:26 PM
awesome! finishing a boil right now. Can't wait.

Tom59
03-01-2014, 05:00 PM
Well I finished off today what I had collected before the deep freeze. Started with a little over 30 gallons and it yielded 3.5 quarts of nice light awesome tasting syrup!. Hope we have a good run after this week. Forecasting 40s for Friday. Good luck everyone.