PDA

View Full Version : Finding vacuum leaks

farmerfletch
02-21-2014, 01:25 PM
What are some easy ways to find leaks on vacuum, This is only my second season with a vacuum pump so I'm still learning all the tricks. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

mapleack
02-21-2014, 02:18 PM
Its best when there's decent sap flow, finding small leaks is a visual job. If you've got hooked connectors or tensioners where the laterals meet the main line you'll have a loop of lateral before it goes into the saddle. Look at this loop, if there is sap in it barely moving or slowly moving then there aren't any leaks on that line, go on to the next one. If the sap is zipping through the loop then there's a leak. Go to just before the first tree, using both hands bend a "U" down in the lateral so it can fill with sap. If it still zips through, the leak is farther up the line, if not, its in the section you already walked by. If it zips by still, then go just passed the first tree and repeat the process, this lets you narrow down where the leak is, then you can look for small holes, loose taps, etc. Electrical tape works well for small leaks. I've found its best to tear off a six inch or so piece from the roll, this lets you stretch the tape tighter as you wrap it around the tubing. You may find a hollow tree or two, when you narrowed it down to a single drop line and you can't find a leak it's probably the tree. Good luck!

ennismaple
02-21-2014, 03:41 PM
What Andy said is bang on. I wish I knew this years ago when we walked every single line to check for leaks. The big leaks like missed taps, chews, broken fittings, etc... you will hear a mile away!

vtmapleman
02-21-2014, 06:21 PM
You guys are right on. The only thing I do different is to go to half way point and check for leak. I have found it much quicker doing it this way than going to each tree. If leak is above me I go to halfway point between where I check it and the end of the lateral. This is same process that we as Forward Observers would use to bring artillery shells to the target. Just divide everything in half.

Flat Lander Sugaring
02-21-2014, 07:20 PM
. Just divide everything in half.
just like trouble shooting a FA system

Russell Lampron
02-21-2014, 07:45 PM
What others have said is good advise, the racing sap or bubbles is a sign of leakage. When you find a lateral with a leak run your hand along the bottom of it. If you find a sticky spot you've got a leak near it.

Bruce L
02-21-2014, 07:56 PM
We just walk the mainlines, where the laterals come in if the sap is moving slowly go on to the next run. If the sap is racing in or you can't find sap you have a big leak. As Andy stated, walk along and start eliminating taps by making a bend in the lateral that the sap will have to climb uphill in. If the sap blows right through the bend and you can't force the tubing to hold a slug of sap your leak is farther up the line, if you can make a slug of sap that isn't racing through your bend, you've missed the leak and need to backtrack. My Father used to walk the entire bush listening at each tap, but his hearing isn't that good anymore, and it takes way too much time that you don't have to spare. As you find and repair leaks, your vacuum will increase and places you have already checked for leaks will show up due to the higher vacuum levels.

farmerfletch
03-09-2014, 07:55 PM
What about leaks in the mainlines?

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Tmeeeh
03-10-2014, 06:29 PM
[QUOTE=farmerfletch;245029]What about leaks in the mainlines?

At the bottom end of our mainlines we have installed a short section of 3/4" light blue mainline (the kind where you can see the sap running in it). Bend it down to make a "U" the same as you do with the tubing. If you don't see bubbles racing through, you know all the tubing on that mainline is tight. This way you only hike up the mainlines that have leaks on them. If you have spent the extra money and installed the light blue mainlines then if you find a mainline that has a leak and you hike up part way and find and fix a leak, you can check the rest of the mainline and if there are no leaks above you.. you're done and can go on to the next.