PDA

View Full Version : frustrating start

lafite
02-21-2014, 09:02 AM
I have about 70% tapped. yesterday was my first collection of the season. although the gravity lines started well, the single trees have yet to give a good run. I've collected 25 gallons so far with heavy rain expected later today.

I'm hoping to fire up the evaporator for the first time on Sunday to sweeten the pan then sit and wait another week as the "polar vortex" makes it return.

considering I had finished 5 gallons by this time last year, I'm not sure what to expect this season.

DaveB
02-21-2014, 09:09 AM
I've found that it takes a day or two just to get the flow going. Temps are ideal but it's been so cold. In my neck of the woods I started tapping last week to get ahead of the snow on the ground issues but I think I'm going to finish mine up next weekend because next week looks so cold. I might as well wait for some more melting and the snow to harden up before going out. After the 1st the weather looks pretty good and March as a whole looks good too so I think I'll be alright.

valleyman
02-21-2014, 03:06 PM
I agree. A frustrating start.

Tom59
02-21-2014, 06:07 PM
Same here. I put in 10 taps this past sunday. Hardly running at all. Hope this weekend runs good before it freezes again.

khuberpt
02-21-2014, 07:10 PM
i gathered roughly 20 gallons from 35 or so taps yesterday to today. hoping to gather another 10-20 tomorrow and similar amount sunday before freeze. i am in the wolcott area.

maplerookie
02-21-2014, 07:16 PM
I am in the Buffalo area small hobbiest 19 buckets up 2 days ago..got about 20 gallons so far probably less as I always seem to over estimate lol ..tapping silvers sugars and reds ...sugars are hardly running silvers are dripping well reds are slow. gonna collect one more day and boil sunday. itchin to get started

Russell Lampron
02-21-2014, 07:26 PM
Not sure when a normal start date is in CT but the last 2 or 3 years have been starting a little earlier than this season. This season is more like a normal start up here in NH. In the past I have normally waited until March to tap but with CV's and vacuum I have started earlier. I tapped last weekend and tapped on 2/7 last year and 2/12 the season before. I have found that if I had waited until March I wouldn't have missed much.

lafite
02-22-2014, 10:50 AM
we are having a great run today. almost 50 gallons collected since yesterday. Looks like I'm sweetening the pans tomorrow!