PDA

View Full Version : Atmos 300K

SeanD
02-21-2014, 07:33 AM
I've always used canola oil spray, but thought I'd try something new this year. I have read old posts and the MSDS on it, but I'm still not sure what it is made from. What can I tell customers - in layman's terms?

ATMOS 300K
Composition / Information on Ingredients
(order of predominance)
Mono and Diglycerides
Propylene Glycol
Propyl Gallate
Citric Acid

Sean

happy thoughts
02-21-2014, 09:03 AM
From what I can find it looks like it is made from animal and vegetable fats/oils but also may contain some synthetic products. To keep it simple I'd tell them it's a commercially produced defoamer made to replace the traditionally used animal fats like butter and lard. Tell them it won't spoil or add an off flavor or cause allergic reactions as some older defoamers might. You can add something about how they used to hang a piece of pork fat over the syrup pans and let the fat drip to keep the syrup from boiling over. That might make a commercially engineered product sound more appealing, lol:)

BAP
02-21-2014, 11:08 AM
Don't use too much at a time or you can taste it in the syrup. Sunflower oil works good and you can buy that in the grocery store. My wife bought some little squirt bottles in a party store and we put the oil in them and add a drop at a time. It is also cheaper and you can tell your costumers exactly what you use.

SeanD
02-21-2014, 01:14 PM
Yeah, I agree. I've always used canola, but always wondered is something else was more effective. I feel like I always have to use a lot. So, I'll compare boils between the two.

Sean

killingworthmaple
02-22-2014, 05:07 AM
I was told by leader when I bought some that it was highly refined animal fat. I used it for a couple years it works good but did not like that it hardens in low temps I had to keep warming it up thoughout the boil and then it would be so thin that I would put in to many drops (could be operator error). I used cooking spray in the past and have gone back to the cooking spray but the other day my sister pointed out that some of the ingredients in the sprays are allergens to some people. I understand that they sell self pump spray bottle that you can add 100% oil of your choice and pump it up and it srays like the cooking spray stuff. So I am going to get one of those and try it next.

Nathan

Bruce L
02-22-2014, 03:27 PM
All I know about it is that it is advertised as "Kosher Approved" and it sure works! A neighbor used sunflower oil, when I ran out of my first small bottle of Atmos he gave me his bottle of sunflower oil to finish the season. I was lucky that I was able to finish the season with it as I had to squirt the oil in rather than count drops to keep the foam down. At Leader's next open house I bought a gallon of Atmos, filled up his bottle with Atmos, when he tried it the next season he bought a bottle for himself as he also found a major difference.

Ausable
02-22-2014, 05:54 PM
Nathan - I agree about Atmos. It works - if it isn't frozen or hard in the bottle. Every year I forget about this problem with Atmos and the first couple of boils - when I foam up and reach for the Atmos it is solid and I make a mad dash for the house for anything I can grab quick to prevent a mini-disaster. Once I get back in the groove - I place the Atmos in a warm location to get it into a liquid state and it works just fine. -----Mike-----

SeanD
02-22-2014, 06:46 PM
I mixed about 2 oz. with water in a 1:1 ratio then froze the unused part. I'll keep the mixture I made in the fridge until it's time to boil.

Thanks for the feedback.

Sean

red maples
02-22-2014, 07:51 PM
it works very good. supposedly its concentrated anti foaming ingredients that are in fat and oil. that's why they are solid like that are. I guess they are scientifically separated from natural oils and fat some how. Process seems to be unknown.

happy thoughts
02-22-2014, 08:29 PM
it works very good. supposedly its concentrated anti foaming ingredients that are in fat and oil. that's why they are solid like that are. I guess they are scientifically separated from natural oils and fat some how. Process seems to be unknown.

It is fat and oils that have been chemically treated to break the molecular fat chain into smaller pieces. Usually some kind of acid is used, I'm thinking citric acid because that's listed on the label. The mono- and di- glycerides also listed on the label are smaller chain links that make up fat molecules. One reason Atmos is preferred over fats and oils is because less can be used in comparison. That much I know for sure, the rest of this is my theory. I'm thinking it goes farther because those smaller pieces can do the same job as the long chain fats they were made from.

Propyl gallate is a synthetic antioxodant probably added to prolong shelf life and keep the glycerides from going rancid. Propylene glycol is a solvent and a preservative. It Is probably used as a vehicle to disperse the glycerides in a liquid form because fat like substances do not mix well with water.

wiam
02-22-2014, 08:54 PM
I was told by leader when I bought some that it was highly refined animal fat. I used it for a couple years it works good but did not like that it hardens in low temps I had to keep warming it up thoughout the boil and then it would be so thin that I would put in to many drops (could be operator error). I used cooking spray in the past and have gone back to the cooking spray but the other day my sister pointed out that some of the ingredients in the sprays are allergens to some people. I understand that they sell self pump spray bottle that you can add 100% oil of your choice and pump it up and it srays like the cooking spray stuff. So I am going to get one of those and try it next.

Nathan
10 seconds in the microwave. Also works good for warming supper 2 or 3 times.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
02-24-2014, 09:26 AM
I have used the Atmpos 300k for number of years and it works better than anything else I have tried. I bought a 4 ounce bottle of the organic sunflower oil this year from Bascoms to try it and what a waste of money. I has a big nutty flavor and didn't hardly work at all.

SeanD
02-24-2014, 08:14 PM
Well my Atmos trial was a bust. It turned into a glob of white goo and I couldn't get it to come out as a liquid. No amount of heating, shaking, or mixing with water brought it back. I had kept it in the freezer thinking that was the best way to store it. Big mistake. I won't beat myself up too much, though. It was 25 degrees out when it was delivered and sitting on my back step when I got home. It was frozen solid when I got it.

I think I'll go back to the canola this season. It was amazing to see the foam shoot off to the sides of the pan when I gave it a quick shot. Oh, well. You live and learn.

I appreciate everyone's feedback. I think I'll go with the liquid canola out of a squeeze bottle now so I can keep better track of how much goes into the pan and avoid the extra ingredients in the spray.

Sean

northwoods_forestry
02-25-2014, 05:29 AM
I've used Atmos for 3 seasons now and I'm very pleased with the results. My sugarhouse stays pretty darn cold when I boil, so the Atmos is almost always solid. I used to store the bottle in the sap pan float box to keep it warm & liquid, but found it difficult to control the amount of drips when I added it. Now I just let it freeze solid and use a wood splinter to scoop out tiny globs to add to the sap pan float box every other firing. Much easier to control how much I add this way. If the front pan foams up I just wave the splinter over the pan by the draw off.

BoarsNest
02-25-2014, 05:53 AM
I've had good success with Atmos. To keep it liquid I just place on a handle on the side of my syrup pan.8881

red maples
02-25-2014, 06:30 AM
the lid will actually stay on pretty tight. I keep it in my pocket on cold days.

nymapleguy607
02-25-2014, 06:44 AM
I use atmos 300. Mine was been frozen solid more times than I can count. When I boil it sets on top of the steam hood, and sometimes I will put it inside on the drip try to thaw it. For those of you that are using spray bottles of defoamer remeber that syrup travels toward defoamer, thats why they say if you are going to use it in the syrup pan to only use it in the partition closest to the draw off.

lpakiz
02-25-2014, 07:09 AM
I do exactly the same with my frozen defoamer. It goes inside the hood on the stack drip collector for the initial thaw, then sits on the hood for the rest of the day. I try to remember to give the flue pan a couple drops when I shut down, then the defoamer is thawed out by the time I need it the next morning.
Just don't squeeze the bottle too hard when the plastic is soft.

wiam
02-25-2014, 07:11 AM
Well my Atmos trial was a bust. It turned into a glob of white goo and I couldn't get it to come out as a liquid. No amount of heating, shaking, or mixing with water brought it back. I had kept it in the freezer thinking that was the best way to store it. Big mistake. I won't beat myself up too much, though. It was 25 degrees out when it was delivered and sitting on my back step when I got home. It was frozen solid when I got it.

I think I'll go back to the canola this season. It was amazing to see the foam shoot off to the sides of the pan when I gave it a quick shot. Oh, well. You live and learn.

I appreciate everyone's feedback. I think I'll go with the liquid canola out of a squeeze bottle now so I can keep better track of how much goes into the pan and avoid the extra ingredients in the spray.

Sean

Freezing was not the problem. That is where mine lives during off season. Has for years with no problem.

happy thoughts
02-25-2014, 07:45 AM
No amount of heating, shaking, or mixing with water brought it back. ]

Mixing with water was probably your mistake. Atmos is a fatty substance. Water and fat don't mix. At best it probably just floated on top of the water.

Bruce L
02-25-2014, 11:42 AM
I keep my Atmos bottle in my front pants pocket, body warmth keeps it liquid, then take it out and add a few drops into the flue pan every fire.

Chicopee Sap Shack
02-25-2014, 03:16 PM
Mine is solid so I just dip a bamboo skewer in it and drag it threw the foam and it's gone. I learned that from an ol timer who used butter in his foam.

Scott

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
02-26-2014, 06:45 PM
I bought a quart bottle several years ago and keep it in the freezer year around. Only take out 2 to 3 ounces each year. I was told many years ago that if you keep it frozen it will stay fresh and not go rancid and it has worked good for me. Just set it up on edge of syrup pan leaning against flue pan and thaws it out in out 10 minutes.