PDA

View Full Version : 16x24 filter canner to big?

antghunter
02-21-2014, 07:19 AM
Guys,
I have a 2x6 raised flue, bought it used this year and i have about 110 taps. I found a local guy selling a leader 16x24 filter canner used from 1987 in good condition. It is a soldered unit, do i need to be worried about lead? Also, im not sure i will need something this big, would it better to hold off for a smaller filter canner? benifits? negatives? Input needed, thanks guys~

maple flats
02-21-2014, 07:31 AM
I started with a 16x24 and still use it. I had 119 taps on it the first year I used it, and heated it on a gas stove. I later bought the propane arch to go with it. The size worked fine, while you can't do batches under 2 gal, 3 and 4 gal batches or larger do fine. Technically you can do smaller but you'd need to be real careful not to over cook directly over the burners before the whole volume got up to temp. You'd likely need to use a plastic spatula to stir it.
The mfg date is hard to say. If it is lead free solder, there will be a statement to that effect on the main label. If not lead free it should have been in the low lead era. At any rate, you will be fine as long as you don't clean the solder to the point it shines. As long as the surface is dull colored, any lead is sealed in.

adk1
02-21-2014, 08:19 AM
My understanding is that starting in 1990 Leader Evaporators were build with lead free solder so I would expect it is lead based. I have a Leader 2x6 that is soldered pre-1990. You just need to be careful when you scrub the pans. I really dont scrub the soldered parts

antghunter
02-21-2014, 08:37 AM
He is asking 350, comes with stand and burner, thermometer....etc. I guess the other thing is do i spring the 350 for this or wait til next year and buy a newer lead free smaller one. thanks guys

Joust7.1
02-21-2014, 11:41 AM
For your size I would consider a single cone filter. I bought one last season from smokey lake with the steam pan. I don't think it was much different in price from what you are looking for used. Definitely less if you don't get the steam pan. It was a bit slow to heat up w/ steam pan if your syrup cools down a lot but produced excellent looking syrup for glass bottling. I bought a propane burner for it on amazon for about $20. Does anyone use an electric burner for their bottler? I was thinking of trying one this year since I could keep it on longer so that the syrup is staying at temp until I'm actually ready to bottle. Thoughts? I'll try to add a picture if I can do it from my phone. On my way to a track meet as I'm watching the snow melt and the rain coming down around Syracuse. I'm sure to come home to a sloppy mess in the woods. At least it's supposed to be single digits again soon.

Joust7.1
02-21-2014, 11:50 AM
8820 8821
I made a small bottling station in my SH out of a 2'x4' piece of SS that I got from a friend that works at a large steel supplier. Actually cost me more to put two bends in it than the ss. Worked great for around 200 taps last yr.

maple flats
02-21-2014, 01:17 PM
For your size I would consider a single cone filter. I bought one last season from smokey lake with the steam pan. I don't think it was much different in price from what you are looking for used. Definitely less if you don't get the steam pan. It was a bit slow to heat up w/ steam pan if your syrup cools down a lot but produced excellent looking syrup for glass bottling. I bought a propane burner for it on amazon for about $20. Does anyone use an electric burner for their bottler? I was thinking of trying one this year since I could keep it on longer so that the syrup is staying at temp until I'm actually ready to bottle. Thoughts? I'll try to add a picture if I can do it from my phone. On my way to a track meet as I'm watching the snow melt and the rain coming down around Syracuse. I'm sure to come home to a sloppy mess in the woods. At least it's supposed to be single digits again soon.
I was in the woods when that rain hit. It took me about 35-40 minutes to get out and I got soaked. I guess I should start carrying a raincoat for times like that (I'm about 20 miles East of Syracuse).