PDA

View Full Version : Automatic sap level controls

1951oliver88
02-20-2014, 10:37 PM
I have been reading posts on building an automatic draw off valve and am about to order parts to build one. My question is has anyone built something similar to control sap levels? I have a raised flue setup so the level n front pan is different than back. Back pan float is great however the float setup for front pan requires constant tinkering. I was thinking that if there was a float level switch a similar setup could be used to open zone valve and bring sap from flue pan to finish pan. Any thoughts?

Sunny Knoll Farm
02-21-2014, 02:12 PM
I've been thinking about the same thing. I've been scrambling to go from 20 -> 300 taps. Part of that is building the float box for my new "under construction" evaporator. I have a stainless mini-float switch and a couple of solenoid valves I salvaged. I have everything needed to develop a prototype. First I have to figure out the voltage so I don't fry the switch. This will probably involve transformers and relays. I'm not a electrical engineer but I've been called "Sparky" on occassion! ( don't ask) I'm sure I can get it to work. I'm wondering how sensitive the float switch will be. I haven't been able to find the technical info on float travel distance to go from off->on and back. It's a reed switch that closes when the magnet in the float gets close enough. If the float box level can be controlled within 1/4" I would think that would be acceptable. An upgrade would be to use a motorized ball valve to even out the flow instead of slamming open and shut. When I get tired of welding and bricking I'll play with it!

1951oliver88
02-21-2014, 03:20 PM
http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=7_32&products_id=324

This is the link to the float switch I found. Also I am not an electrical engineer in the description it says it needs to be used with a relay or solid state? Can you use one of the pid controllers. Or is it just a matter of putting the relay in and you have a simple circuit switch turns valve on and off. Seems simple in theory just need help to make it real