PDA

View Full Version : on average how long does it take for a hole to dry up

The dairy farmer
02-20-2014, 10:53 AM
I am just worried I tapped to earlie when we have a cold break but with the hole still run or what ?

GeneralStark
02-20-2014, 12:03 PM
I am just worried I tapped to earlie when we have a cold break but with the hole still run or what ?

All depends. Are you using new or old spouts? Buckets? I have found that with new spouts I have gone 5+ weeks with buckets. With year old or older spouts, not so long.

happy thoughts
02-20-2014, 12:14 PM
It depends on the weather with warmer temps causing faster microbial growth but 4-6 weeks is probably a good ball park figure if you were to tap today. Since it's been so cold, you can probably expect a bit longer. How long ago did you tap?

mnguy
02-20-2014, 01:01 PM
All depends. Are you using new or old spouts? Buckets? I have found that with new spouts I have gone 5+ weeks with buckets. With year old or older spouts, not so long.

I have heard this mentioned before and don't quite understand the difference between new and used taps. If the used taps are staralized before use what is the difference between bacteria on new taps vs used taps. I have reused my plastic taps and am wondering now if I should be buying new every year. Last year on two year old taps I pulled 800 gallons of sap off of 100 taps and then pulled the taps because I had enough syrup for our needs.

Just wondering why theere is a differnce.

Thanks,

Mike

buckeye gold
02-20-2014, 03:46 PM
I always use new taps, last year I got 690 gallons of sap off 50 taps on buckets and 715 the year before on 50...so 800 off 100 taps; maybe you should think about new for next year.

Run Forest Run!
02-20-2014, 03:52 PM
Hey Mike, this will help you to understand the science of why to use new spiles.

http://mapletrader.com/community/showthread.php?22055-Spiles-and-bacteria

Have a great season!

wnybassman
02-20-2014, 04:05 PM
My buckets last year were tapped during the second week of February and were still doing well when I pulled them the second week of April. We had a solid two week freeze up during the middle of March. I had a record year and half my taps are likely way older than I am! (I'm 43)

Russell Lampron
02-20-2014, 07:31 PM
When I tap my buckets I plan on 3 good weeks. I boil my taps just before I put them in and can get as much as 6 weeks out of them. I use the leader 5/16" metal taps and some of them will start to dry up after 4 weeks. Last season I didn't boil them first and 1/2 of them were dry after 3 weeks.

mnguy
02-20-2014, 08:21 PM
I guess I learned something new tonight. I did not think between bleach and boiling the plastic taps anything bad could survive. i will use the taps again this year if I can get to the trees to tap them. We are getting another 12 inches tonight and buy new for next year. Last year we made 20 gallons on a 2x4 flat pan so we did pretty good.

Thanks Karen for the link and to all others for their input.

Mike

Nbobich
02-21-2014, 05:58 AM
Here's a question. Looking at the forecast it seems that the next 2 days will stay above freezing.... That being said our taps didnt start running until yesterday afternoon... The overnight low was 45 and the day time high today is 42... How long have you guys seen a maple drip in these conditions before it needs "recharged"?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wnybassman
02-21-2014, 06:48 AM
Here's a question. Looking at the forecast it seems that the next 2 days will stay above freezing.... That being said our taps didnt start running until yesterday afternoon... The overnight low was 45 and the day time high today is 42... How long have you guys seen a maple drip in these conditions before it needs "recharged"?

Depends, but it mostly depends on tree size for me. Small trees might stop running after a day and a half but my large trees will run for 3+ days.

Nbobich
02-21-2014, 08:49 AM
Thank you!