PDA

View Full Version : 5 gal oil jugs?

feathercast
02-20-2014, 09:18 AM
I've got a few 5 gallon cooking oil jugs. Can I clean those with hot water & use them for sap?

adk1
02-20-2014, 09:26 AM
No! Absolutly not. Dont do it

Run Forest Run!
02-20-2014, 09:51 AM
Feathercast, you are referring to oil as in corn oil, sunflower oil, canola oil etc aren't you? If so, I'm at a loss as to why you couldn't.

happy thoughts
02-20-2014, 09:57 AM
If it's for home use I don't see why they couldn't be used assuming you can clean them well enough. Cooking oil can be used as a defoamer so I don't see it hurting your syrup. You might not want to use them if they contained peanut oil in case someone who might use your syrup has peanut allergies.

feathercast
02-20-2014, 10:00 AM
The ones I have were for clear cooking oil, used in a deep fryer.

adk1
02-20-2014, 10:09 AM
Oops sorry! I only read the thread title! doesnt say cooking oil..haha. yeah, you should be able to if you can clean them up!

TGrim
02-19-2015, 11:35 AM
How has this worked out for you? I am just getting started and am trying to work with salvaged materials, including oil jugs. Do they impart any flavors?

psparr
02-19-2015, 11:56 AM
Try your local grocery store bakery. The one near me sells five gallon icing buckets for a buck.

maple flats
02-19-2015, 11:57 AM
I used them satisfactorily my first 2 years. I got them fro a local Chinese restaurant. Then I cleaned them several times with HOT water and dawn. Then I rinsed them 3-4 times again with hot water. After that I used them to collect sap. My syrup suffered no issues. We also had a bonus, the restaurant didn't drain them fully, so we started by dumping the oil into another container and in the 20-25 jugs we did we ended up with a little over 2 qts of new frying oil. We only saved the oil that came from jugs with the cap screwed on snug.

BreezyHill
02-19-2015, 12:11 PM
Soy allergy is on the rise, predicted to over take peanut within a few years.

We use them in the feed mill for Higher Fat feeds and to settle the dust in mash feeds. Hard to get clean without a detergent, so use a low or no scent soap, dishwasher style is better as less suds to rinse out and lower scent levels that sink soap.

I have a future daughter in law that is very sensitive to soy and soy products. Not a good experience when it wakes her when sleeping in the truck one time after eating on the road.

Good Luck!

ben

feathercast
02-19-2015, 02:15 PM
I ended up not using them. I just didn't feel like I was able to get them as clean as I wanted.

TGrim
02-19-2015, 03:32 PM
I ended up not using them. I just didn't feel like I was able to get them as clean as I wanted.

I certainly respect that. Who would want to go to all that work collecting and boiling only to end up with something tainted.

We got some free oil out of the jugs too. That's kind of a fun benefit, haha.