PDA

View Full Version : tapped yesterday

maplerookie
02-20-2014, 04:46 AM
19 buckets up. 6 to go . This am about a quart in each bucket. hung late yesterday evening about 5-6 pm so didn't expect much.. lots of ice in the buckets so perfect weather. . Excited and itchin. 6 buckets to go.. My 9 year old is gonna do those. she wants to help this year so I am gonna let her do a some of everything .Boiling on Saturday.

sugarman3
02-20-2014, 06:07 AM
Bill
Where in NY is Boston,been tapping for the last 5 days,1200 out,had 2 holes get wet,each was being on south side with the sun beatin on them,it's a slow go on snowshoes,will try to get more in today,after I see if I can find my cell phone which came off my belt yesterday .Good luck and have fun with your 9 yr old.

wnybassman
02-20-2014, 04:09 PM
Watch that wind Saturday if you're boiling outside! Gonna be breezy!

maplerookie
02-20-2014, 04:41 PM
Yes it is going to be very windy tonite. I built a 3 sided hut with a roof this year for my boiling The back back side and roof are solid plywood 2 sides are tarps attached to the 2x3 studs. keeps me and my daughter out of the wind and rain anyway...sure did fill up with steam during the test boil. Sugarman 3 Boston N.Y. is about 20 miles south of Buffalo . A very rural area with 1 real traffic light and a couple of blinkers at the fire halls. collected this afternoon.. have a total of 5 gallons so maybe my quart estimate this morning was a bit over zealous .. supposed to warm up this night and all day tomorrow and a bit iffy on saturday so hoping to get much more for the boil...may hold off boiling till sunday but that remains to be seen. the wife has other projects in mind..lol.. see about those too. ha ha

sugarman3
02-20-2014, 05:13 PM
Them there wife projects should be put on the back burner,it surg'in time if you are warming up.Tapped 150 today after I found my cell phone at the second tree I tapped yesterday,it drizzled a little bit.

wnybassman
02-20-2014, 05:14 PM
Yes it is going to be very windy tonite. I built a 3 sided hut with a roof this year for my boiling The back back side and roof are solid plywood 2 sides are tarps attached to the 2x3 studs. keeps me and my daughter out of the wind and rain anyway...sure did fill up with steam during the test boil. Sugarman 3 Boston N.Y. is about 20 miles south of Buffalo . A very rural area with 1 real traffic light and a couple of blinkers at the fire halls. collected this afternoon.. have a total of 5 gallons so maybe my quart estimate this morning was a bit over zealous .. supposed to warm up this night and all day tomorrow and a bit iffy on saturday so hoping to get much more for the boil...may hold off boiling till sunday but that remains to be seen. the wife has other projects in mind..lol.. see about those too. ha ha

Every year I say I'm going to put a roof over my head but it always gets put on the back burner after the season ends. Odd, seeing I'm a carpenter and all. lol Good luck!

maplerookie
02-20-2014, 05:27 PM
bassman for you it would be a one hour project...Gonna be cold this coming week might be a good time to do it. mine has a total of 12 2x3 studs and two sheets or so of scrap plywood...all different cut offs from left over project wood. just don't over think it if it is temporasry...no codes need to be adhered to..lol

millscrest
02-20-2014, 05:37 PM
I put 100 buckets up on Monday and today collected 40 gallons. Not bad for the early run. Hope for some more on Friday and boil on Saturday!!!

maplerookie
02-20-2014, 05:45 PM
sounds great Millscrest. I don't have a tractor,3 wheeler or snow mobile so I handle it all by hand and walking. all my trees at present are close but it is still a challenge for this 60 yr old body. the land I am on has good slope so in the next couple of years I will add some remote collecting stations some 1 inch black poly pipe and send it all down to the sugaring area. will still have to carry some but not so much at least.

millscrest
02-20-2014, 05:49 PM
At this stage of my life I take advantage of my 3 teenage boys. today I just sat in the cab of the heated tractor and listened to the stereo while the boys collected and pulled along as they were dumping into the gathering tank. They love to go out and gather.

maplerookie
02-20-2014, 07:25 PM
At this stage of my life I take advantage of my 3 teenage boys. today I just sat in the cab of the heated tractor and listened to the stereo while the boys collected and pulled along as they were dumping into the gathering tank. They love to go out and gather. sounds like you got some good boys there millscrest..good to see you got them carrying on a family tradition.