PDA

View Full Version : New guy

feathercast
02-19-2014, 08:23 PM
I've always wanted to make maple syrup. Things have changed in my life that have made me quit putting things off. So, this will be my first season. I've got spiles coming & hope to have them in this week. I came here to learn something from the best!

Run Forest Run!
02-19-2014, 08:52 PM
With your new outlook on life, this will be one thing that you'll be glad that you didn't wait any longer to do. WELCOME! :D

feathercast
02-20-2014, 07:13 AM
Wow, I spent a few hours last night & another this morning. I had a lot of question answered! But along with that comes more questions & ideas...

Lethalbowman
02-20-2014, 07:51 AM
Welcome to the wonderful & addictive world of maple Syrup making. last year was my 1st year and I can't wait to get my 1st trees tapped this year. We are having a "normal" winter here in Northern Michigan with 120" of snowfall so far with another month and a half to go. I was tempted to tap some trees this week as we had a brief February thaw bust resisted the temptation as we are back to below normal with another Polar Vortec headed our way for the rest of the week into next week. I will be ready for the next warm up with 35-40 taps. Good luck with your efforts.

Dan W.

BreezyHill
02-20-2014, 08:14 AM
Well you will be hooked.

It is funny how it can take a shift in the balance, for us to realize there is only so much sand in the glass...so lets make sugar sand and make every grain of sand count.

I too needed a balance adjustment to open my eyes to realize it is not just something more to do on the farm, but a way of life that brings you, family and friends together in a sweet way.

Welcome and good luck!

Ben

kiteflyingeek
02-20-2014, 10:40 PM
feathercast,

Welcome to the addiction :D

Where in Indiana ayou located? I'm down in the southwestern part of the state and we have started the season here.

--andrew

Michael Greer
02-21-2014, 09:57 AM
The best thing about Maple syrup, is that you can get in at any level. If you want to tap six trees in the back yard, or hang fifty buckets, or a hundred, you can find a mentor, and have some fun. Join forces with someone in your area, and learn the ropes. Syrup is a super precious commodity, and can be sold or traded,(or gifted) anywhere.

feathercast
02-21-2014, 11:35 AM
Thanks everybody. I'm even loosing sleep thinking about it. Up for hours last night after I realized that I HAVE to build a shack! That's even better. I'm getting a bee hive if it ever warms up too so all the more reason to build.
I'm in north central IN. Between Peru & Kokomo.