PDA

View Full Version : Simple operation looking for some help?

Sugar Bush INC
02-19-2014, 02:08 PM
Hello,

We are a simple operation looking for some help. We currently use tractors and ATV's to haul out our sap. I have seen some operations on youtube that use a pump and hoses and are able to suck the sap right out of the buckets and not have to physically carry and pour the sap? What are you using for hoses, pumps and are you using a gas generator with a pump or a gas pump? Just trying to make it easier for the Seniors in our group since im not always around. (KISS) keep it simple stupid.

325abn
02-19-2014, 06:56 PM
sucking sap out of the bucket?? I have never seen such a thing! :)

DrTimPerkins
02-19-2014, 08:15 PM
I have seen some operations on youtube that use a pump and hoses and are able to suck the sap right out of the buckets and not have to physically carry and pour the sap?

That method is fairly common with birch operations in Alaska, but not so much with maple.

Scribner's Mountain Maple
02-20-2014, 05:08 AM
Sugarbush Inc. I think I need more information. I bet you will get more ideas if you provide a little more information. For example, are your buckets clustered together in one area, or spread all over the place? Is it all down hill to sugarhouse?

If clustered, and if down hill, I would use a dumping station and a pipe leading to sugarhouse instead of hauling. Set a small tank in your woods with a pipe that gravity feeds sap to sugarhouse. You still have to trounce around in the woods to bring buckets to dumping place, but at least don't have to haul a full tank of sap around.

Good luck,
Ben

VT_K9
02-20-2014, 05:27 AM
We I was introduced to the family operation in the 80s, my father came up with an idea of placing multiple dumping stations. We were carrying 2 5 gallon buckets to transport our sap. One misstep and you lost 4-8 gallons, but could always count on losing some which added up. Once the sap was in the 55 gallon drum we would carry a pump to each station and pump to the sugar house (it is located up hill from nearly all taps). Then we gravity feed from a few stations to three different pump stations. Then tubing reduced that to 2 stations. Now a sap sucker reduced to to one gathering point.

With you description it would seem like it would take a long time to go to each bucket and pump from it.

Mike

Maple Hill
02-20-2014, 05:55 AM
We used a oberdorfer pump with a 50ft hose for years,worked great to pump sap out of the buckets to gathering rig.A lot easier on your back.If you have a lot of trees on a fence row or roadside you only need a driver & someone on the hose.

Sugarmaker
02-20-2014, 06:51 AM
A better description of your sugarbush would help us. Pumps: we use 12 volt RULE brand pumps, a 1800 gph unit would be good for buckets. About a 1 inch hose (Use pool hose going back to the tank would work well.
Regards,
Chris

Sugar Bush INC
02-20-2014, 10:51 AM
Well we are spread out over 8 miles on 7 different properties with over 500 taps using a 70 gallon flat pan evaporator in central Minnesota. Trails are cut so most of the trees are within 50 feet of the tractor or ATVs. And like most on this site we are always adding taps..... But as we found out last year and most likely this year snow is our biggest enemy. Most of our group are retired and very active! We like to keep it as old school as possible since this is a hobby and we give our syrup away to family and friends..... I will look into pool hoses and the pumps. Thanks