PDA

View Full Version : Tapping in the Golden Horseshoe 2014

Run Forest Run!
02-19-2014, 01:48 PM
Yes, yes I know it's much too early to be looking for sap around here........................but I couldn't help it. I shovelled a path to one tree and popped in a CV tap - new to me this year - with my new tapping bit - and hung a sap bag - also new for me to try. Of course the hole was dry, but WOW that tapping bit was way better than I thought it was going to be.

After all of the work that it took to hand shovel a path all the way to one tree, I won't be doing that again any time soon. Hopefully the warmer weather for the next few days will help to melt, and pack down, the snow.

In the meantime I think I got some of the sugar fever out of my system by popping in one tap.

optionguru
02-19-2014, 02:10 PM
I feel your pain, I tapped 25 trees yesterday with the hopes of this weeks warm up producing a decent short run. I've been out about 5 times today (33F Degrees) checking to see if there's anything in the tubes. Pathetic!!! There's always tomorrow.

Run Forest Run!
02-19-2014, 08:47 PM
The Weather Network :Alert:

Rainfall Warning for Ontario. Major storm bringing 25 - 50 mm of rain Thursday and Friday.

Seriously, what's next? Locusts? This will be our third major storm in less than a week. We surrender.

BrutemanAl
02-20-2014, 04:58 AM
Yes, yes I know it's much too early to be looking for sap around here........................but I couldn't help it. I shovelled a path to one tree and popped in a CV tap - new to me this year - with my new tapping bit - and hung a sap bag - also new for me to try. Of course the hole was dry, but WOW that tapping bit was way better than I thought it was going to be.

After all of the work that it took to hand shovel a path all the way to one tree, I won't be doing that again any time soon. Hopefully the warmer weather for the next few days will help to melt, and pack down, the snow.

In the meantime I think I got some of the sugar fever out of my system by popping in one tap.

LOL ... such a die hard , truth be told , across the road from my house there is new people in the house and they have a maple tree in their front yard and yesterday i was going to go over after work and ask if I could put a few buckets on the tree , but I didn't, I had dinner and then went and sat on the couch for what was suppose to be 10 or so Min's and then died I think lol ,woke up at 330 this morning still on the couch , I'm itchy to get this season going

Run Forest Run!
02-21-2014, 09:30 AM
Hey fellow tappers........my test tap has given me sap in my sap bag this morning! :o The longest winter in recent memory might actually be weakening.

daverobitaille
02-25-2014, 05:34 AM
Yet another one of those! No hope in sight on the accuweather month forecast. No more then 2 degrees day high for the all month of March! I an starting to wonder if the season will be in April! i just hope that it does not go from winter to summer in a few days and kill the season short. So far no idea when I will put the taps in. Can we ask for a spring vortex? Lol!

Run Forest Run!
02-25-2014, 04:37 PM
Looks like we've got a looooooooong wait ahead of us. I have borrowed some snow shoes, but I'm doubting that I even have the stamina for that. Things will melt eventually and I'll be ready.

Run Forest Run!
03-08-2014, 06:35 PM
So I gave myself my first lesson on how to use those borrowed snow shoes. I did much better once I realized than the L on one of them didn't mean large. Man, what a dope. :emb: How stupid was that? Surprisingly I didn't wipe out once. I'll take that small victory.

I've now packed down some paths to the trees on my property in hopes that I can pop in some taps tomorrow or Monday. The test tap I've had in since the 21st of February was dry as a bone. I'll still have to use the snow shoes for at least the next few weeks but I think I can handle the challenge.

The other trees that I tap down the street can wait a while. They are all sugars, and on a cold north facing slope. It always takes them a couple of extra weeks to wake up. Kind of works out perfectly for me because they are at their juiciest when my soft maples start to get tired.

daverobitaille
03-09-2014, 06:57 AM
Hi Karen! well I got the chance to sweeten the pan yesterday. I had a total of 25 gallons and decided to do a boil as work will be in the way for the next 3 days. The sap was not as sweet this year. 25 gallons ended up with 1 L of syrup.
Anyways it is my sun's b-day today and the family will be over so maple toffee on the snow for all! Good thing i still have a few gallons from last year!

Run Forest Run!
03-09-2014, 05:54 PM
Put another two taps in this afternoon to see what would happen. Nothing. :(

Galena
03-09-2014, 06:36 PM
Cheer up, Karen, things are starting to improve in terms of weather. We're all tapping relatively *late* this year. I tapped today and of the 18 taps 3 produced maybe a total of just under a litre (not nearly enough to collect) and a 4th spile was just barely starting to drip. And two of these spiles were on the same tree, my superproducer.

I think all of us are jonesing for our own syrup fix - I haven't paid for a bottle of maple syrup since I began tapping and sure as hell aren't about to start!! Oh btw that wild grape jelly/spread I made last fall has been standing in as my morning oatmeal sweetener since my own syrup ran out. Well except for Red Queen.

Run Forest Run!
03-09-2014, 07:03 PM
Galena, just the other day I was wondering how your wild grape jelly turned out. Glad to hear it was a success. You can now add those grapes to your list of "harvestables" for this year.

Galena
03-09-2014, 07:14 PM
Well, it's definitely more of a thick spread than a recognizable jam/jelly texture, but tasty and sweet enough and perfectly edible...hey I made 5 250-ml jars and have eaten about 2 1/2 of those jars, so I'd say it's safe enough to eat.

Soooo...that makes my list of seasonal harvestables somethin like this: late winter/early spring, maple syrup; spring/early summer, blackberries; mid-late summer, raspberries and gooseberries; and now late fall, wild grapes. Not quite enough to live off of but enough to make a wander round the yard worthwhile scrounging! :-)

And yes from now on I will be harvesting those grapes - off of my pine tree!! :-)

BrutemanAl
03-10-2014, 05:18 AM
What is this grape jelly the 2 of you speak about? Sounds interesting, maybe you would like to share :)

Ren
03-20-2014, 03:28 PM
I just checked my buckets and I picked up 90 gals of sap from 115 taps. Looks like things are starting to thaw out. I tapped another 25 trees and most of them were running. Hopefully we get a good run tomorrow!

argohauler
03-20-2014, 09:49 PM
Have at least a thousand gallons on hand from yesterdays all nighter and the dribbles from Monday and Tuesday. North part of the bush and fence rows on the south side of the bush hardly ran probably because of the 2 feet plus of frost we have in the ground.

I was the winner of the sap critters award today. This was our first gathering and we had snow fleas, millers, a deer mouse, and a flying squirrel get in our lidded buckets.

Run Forest Run!
03-21-2014, 08:39 AM
Argohauler, what are millers? I googled it, and still couldn't find out. (If you'd capilalized the "M" I might have figured that you caught your neighbours pilfering sap.)

Ren
03-21-2014, 10:21 AM
I believe he is referring to Moths, but I could be wrong. I usually find them floating in the sap once the temps warm up a bit!

Run Forest Run!
03-21-2014, 03:08 PM
Moths? If that's what they are it must be a lot warmer where he is!

I put in a few more taps today and I'm now at a total of 20. Some are really running. Most are slowly waking up. A few are deep, dry sleepers. I'm going to empty the bags that I have before it gets dark. A couple have about a gallon in them and if things really seize up tonight in the cold I'd rather not have a giant block of ice in them getting bashed up against the tree. Enjoy the spring storm tonight everyone. We could really use some freezing rain and more snow. After all, we've been getting kind of low on the stuff. :mad:

OCHTO
03-21-2014, 03:23 PM
In my family the little white moths are called "dusty millers" or millers for short. The name came from men working in old flour mills having a white coating of flour on them from the mill. If you handle a moth you get a dust on your fingers from their wing scales.

Run Forest Run!
03-21-2014, 03:25 PM
Thanks OCHTO, I think I know exactly the moths that you mean. A little early for moths don't you think?

Shiftman
03-21-2014, 06:48 PM
Got 40 gallons of sap today :(

Still waiting for out first good run.

Run Forest Run!
03-21-2014, 07:10 PM
Collected my first sap of the season tonight - 9 litres. It's not much, but it's a start. At 3% (with some ice left behind) I'm pleased.

argohauler
03-21-2014, 08:21 PM
Yep millers are moths.

Trees didn't run much today, most had 2-3" in them.

Starting to freeze, didn't think it was supposed to tonight.

Ren
03-22-2014, 09:53 AM
Just had a look at our extended forecast and it does not look good. Looks like a good freeze up for a few days then a couple of possible sap days and then they are not showing any temps below freezing. Sure hope they are wrong!! I spent 4 hours last night trying to get out of the bush with a 100 gal of sap. I had to leave the Bobcat backin the bush and walk home. I went back this morning with a couple of shovels and dug myself out. There is way to much snow back in the bush and I was about ready last night to call it a season!!

drpud
03-22-2014, 06:31 PM
Hi all
Just came back in from our bush. Between today's and yesterday's collections have about 125 gal of sap off of 75 taps so guess what I'll be doing tomorrow:D. Its been slow but sure. Already have about 2 gallons finished from earlier this week. Keeping my fingers crossed for more seasonable weather. Ren, I've got my nucs on order from Ferguson and I think I'll need them cause I"m worried my ladies have frozen their poor little stingers off with this wicked winter.
Cheers
Paul

Ren
03-22-2014, 08:03 PM
drpud, it's definitley been a long winter for the bees and it wont be long before they are out looking for pollen and nectar. I have lost a few colonies so far this winter and just ordered a bunch of queens on Thursday. ( I will probably have my first round of queens in the mating nucs before the ordered ones are ready). I have finally got my pans sweetened and have about 15L ready to be bottled. I will go over to the bush tomorrow and see home much sap we got today, if any at all!

argohauler
03-23-2014, 05:28 AM
Got around a thousand gallons to boil in the cold today.

Anybody want some light syrup? Some of it bordering on extra light. I'll probably have to blend it to get it sold.

4 day cold spell, warms up but doesn't freeze! Stupid rain systems. I really thought with the ice in the lakes, it would make it colder for us.

argohauler
03-24-2014, 06:35 AM
Progressed into medium yesterday and it got a bit more flavour as the day went on.

If the weather network is to be believed, a warm up, but rain system on Thursday, maybe a freeze Saturday night, then no more freezing. Is the end near?

Run Forest Run!
03-25-2014, 09:39 PM
I had gathered 15 litres of sap over the past week or so. After three nights of freezing, taking off the ice and freezing and taking off the ice and freezing and taking off the ice I ended up with 8 litres at 5.1%. Couldn't take waiting any more and put it on the stove and let it gently simmer away all afternoon on the kitchen stove. It was such a slow heat that there was no excess steam in the kitchen to deal with at all. I've finished it off and have now made my first syrup of the year. Got 355 ml (12 ounces) of delicious tasting light syrup. Looking at that bucket of sap was too much for me. Now I can sleep at night. lol

MustardSeedMum
03-26-2014, 04:54 PM
Just popping in to say hello. :) Between the record amounts of snow, countless dangling branches from the christmas ice storm, and plain tiredness dealing with a 7-month-old who still insists on keeping me up at nights, I decided not to put in any taps this year. Such a hard decision. :( I thought of putting just a few taps in - say 10-20, totally scaling it back. But, my big kid helpers eyed me suspiciously, knowing full well that I wouldn't be able to just stop at that number. haha.

Anyhow, I've still been following the weather...and just pulled up my last year's log. If the weather forecast is to be believed, there might still be a chance for a very decent season for y'all.
According to my log, by the 2nd week of March I'd made about 8L of syrup (from a week's collection of 340L) But then, we had a cold snap Mar 12-25. Then it went gangbusters from Mar 25-31. It was go go go with a 4 day break in April. The last week of collection (for me anyways) was Apr 4-7. After that, I pulled my taps and finished boiling what I collected - a hard week that was, since it rained ALL DAY ALL WEEK...one reason why I had to stop collecting and boiling. No shack no roof makes for difficult evaporating and a drowned-rat feeling.

So, wishing you all the best the next little while - it looks like it's going to be a busy week! fingers and toes crossed!

Run Forest Run!
03-26-2014, 04:59 PM
MSM........are you suuuuuuuuuuuuuuure that we can't convince you to just pop in a couple of taps????????? Just a couple???????? You are just in time for the (cross your fingers) initial run this weekend. You know you want to.

MustardSeedMum
03-26-2014, 08:53 PM
lalalalalala, can't hear you, Karen.

Nice try, though :lol: Maaaaayyyybeee if my wood stove and cobbled-together concrete block arch weren't buried under 4 feet of ice and snow. Not to mention we're kinda low on nice dry logs for burning.

I'm sure I'll be questioning my decision the next few days. :rolleyes:

Ren
03-28-2014, 10:10 PM
Sap started running here late this morning. I collected 130 gal off 150ish taps. When my son and I left the bush around 5:30 there were a lot off trees still dripping good! So I am hoping they run well into the night. It looks like we might actually have a few days of decent weather. Not sure how long the silvers are going to last, as the buds are really starting to swell up.

argohauler
03-29-2014, 05:29 AM
I was disappointed with the run that started Thursday. Most buckets only had a couple inches in them despite going up to +9 or 48F. The fibbing weather man said it was supposed to freeze last night and it didn't. Supposed to tonight, but going to be cloudy, so don't know what to think. Got 500 gals. at the shanty. Some trees were running well when we gathered yesterday afternoon, so we'll see what they have to offer.

daverobitaille
03-29-2014, 10:45 AM
Just back from the bush at 11:30 AM and guess what! It is running! This morning at 8 AM it was dry and now about one inch in all buckets and the big guys about 3 inches.
It is only 2 degree but it did freeze to minus 1 last night here.
After all I am hoping for at least 40 gallons by day end and get boiling tomorrow morning. Tomorrow and Monday looks like perfect temp. So glad I took Monday off. :)

Run Forest Run!
03-29-2014, 12:30 PM
Still nothing.............

BrutemanAl
03-29-2014, 02:23 PM
Still nothing.............

I just collected 7 gallons Karen ;)

argohauler
03-30-2014, 06:02 AM
Gathered the rest of the bush we didn't get done on Friday and got another 600 gallons. The trees were done running when I got back there yesterday. Making a very light medium with better flavour. So we only got to -1 last night. Not hopeful that we'll get any sap today. Supposed to clear today, maybe it'll freeze tonight.

Run Forest Run!
03-30-2014, 06:44 PM
When the sun came out and the wind died down, a couple of trees were really trying hard while others were still sleeping. I did a collection before dusk and ended up with 13L. I was thrilled with a total sugar count of just over 3%. No sugar maples have been tapped (yet). This sap was only from a couple of box elders, a Norway, a Freeman and four silvers.

I'm really hopeful that this week will be the start of sugarin' time around here.

argohauler
03-31-2014, 05:56 AM
Hey it froze last night! Hopefully a big sap day today. Gathered the bush we gathered Friday and they are the freshest taps and found a half dozen overflowing buckets. The rest of the bush didn't run much. It was such a nice day yesterday, we would of had a really good run if it had froze harder. My drinking bucket kept up to me yesterday anyways. Got around 300 gallons to boil today. Still making a really light medium, almost light. Not liking the daytime highs though. 10 (50F) today, 14 (57F) tomorrow. There were a couple flies buzzing around yesterday and the swans were the most I've seen this year.

daverobitaille
03-31-2014, 06:18 AM
Going to be a busy day...While I was boiling my friend went to collect last night and came back with another 30 gallons and I already did pick up 15 at 2:00 PM. Got the gear fired and and boiled till 10:00 PM. Now still 15 gallons in the storage tank and probably another 20 in the bush plus what ever we get today.
Beer is in the fridge!
I call for a cloudy day tomorrow...A lot of us will be contributing to cloud's making today! lol.

Run Forest Run!
03-31-2014, 08:59 PM
Collected 25L from 17 taps today. Sap volume was all over the map. Some taps were producing between 2 and 3 litres, and others were just trickling. Three are still locked up tight. When everything thaws out completely it's going to be great!

Got my propane burners all set-up, complete with a new metal wind screen to maximize heat retention. Also purchased a 2 burner electric hot plate so that I can do my pre-heating outside instead of in the kitchen. I have a nifty little table for that. Now that it's all organized for the pending sugaring, maybe I'll just move into the garage for the next few weeks. :)

argohauler
04-01-2014, 05:37 AM
Well that was a let down yesterday. I guess it wasn't cold enough, maybe not long enough either to recharge the trees after the warm spell because it was a small run. Gathered most of the bush and got 600 gallons, plus there'll be some in the line tanks. I could tell right away that it wasn't going to be that good with the way my drinking bucket was running. Syrup is the same colour as the light grade on the tester set. I don't like the Weather Network's forecast, cuz we could be done and the temps. aren't ridiculous, it's the April showers. I'm hoping for the -4 Environment Canada is calling for Wednesday night. Also it barely froze, so there won't be nothin' today, but some April showers this afternoon and wind.

drpud
04-01-2014, 06:19 PM
8 gallons finished from 75 taps so far. Sap was running great yesterday but really variable today as some buckets were full and others barely had an inch in them. I've got about 80 gallons of sap in barrels buried in the snow to boil again Thursday :). My trails are getting pretty trashed though and that may be the limiting factor this year. Good luck to all.
Paul

argohauler
04-02-2014, 05:46 AM
When the sun came out yesterday afternoon at the hottest part of the day, the trees decided to run a tiny bit. Way too warm yesterday. Made a little darker syrup than the day before.

Saw my first peeper frog yesterday and killed it accidentally. Seems it was sheltering under some leaves, where I throw out my filter wash water.

It's time to declare major war on squirrels. Finding where they are chewing on a lot of the drop lines that I have going into the buckets. 1 they chewed right off the tree. Gathering yesterday we were at a tree that constantly overflows the buckets and we could see it was again. WRONG! Friggin' squirrel stood on the root of the tree and chewed a hole in the bottom of the plastic bucket! Was he thirsty or needed a shower??? Took my first load back to pump out and go to start the generator and there was a chew on my gas cap! It wasn't there when I gassed up in the morning.

Got a good 500 gallons to boil today. Hoping we get a good hard freeze tonight, but tomorrow is only like 2 and windy???

Bruce L
04-02-2014, 11:27 AM
Argohauler , finding the same thing here, 5 of us went over the whole bush, line by line spoil by spoil checking for and fixing leaks. Yet more are showing up daily, probably easier food than digging down through 3 feet of snow.

Run Forest Run!
04-02-2014, 12:45 PM
How is it possible that absolutely nothing is happening out there?

Clinkis
04-02-2014, 06:31 PM
How is it possible that absolutely nothing is happening out there?

Was thinking the same! Went down to -2 here last night. I thought it would at least run a bit. Pretty much nothing.

argohauler
04-02-2014, 08:43 PM
Bruce our snow is 99.9% gone now. We were rabbit hunting earlier in the winter and all we could see was squirrel tracks and no squirrels, but they could find their nuts in a foot of snow.

No sap ran today because it didn't freeze hard enough last night. We need a big time freeze like the -4 Environment Canada is calling for tonight, but it better start soon. Unfortunately the Weather Network is calling for only -1.

Had almost 600 gallons to boil today. Syrup got darker as the day went on. Almost amber, next boil it will likely be that.

argohauler
04-03-2014, 06:06 AM
Well it froze, but I don't know if it was for long enough to get that good recharge. The ground hasn't got the right look to me.

Gotta service the Argo and get tanks washed and hopefully have some sap to gather this afternoon. Rain supposed to start this evening and all day tomorrow.

argohauler
04-04-2014, 05:25 AM
Only a small run yesterday. Guess it didn't freeze for long enough. Brought in 600 gals. to boil today. Going to try to gather the rest this morning before the rain starts.

MistyHollow
04-04-2014, 04:43 PM
Becoming frustrated with the maple run, so I think even though it is late, I will throw in some walnut taps this weekend. Hopefully I can scrounge up enough sap to make a bottle or two as a trial this year.

Dan

Run Forest Run!
04-04-2014, 04:57 PM
Welcome Dan. That sounds like a good plan. Who knows when our maple sap will start to run......

sinker
04-05-2014, 12:00 PM
Slow here too. I've finished 5.5l so far, and have 120l boiling right now. Its not looking good. Might get a run tomorrow, but my gut tells me we're done.

S.

argohauler
04-05-2014, 12:25 PM
Gathered another 160 gallons yesterday from the rest of the bush we didn't get done on Thursday. So we got 850 imperial gallons of sap from Thursday's run. Syrup went from almost amber on Wednesday to almost dark yesterday. I was hoping for quite a bit of amber. Couple hundred gallons to boil this afternoon. Hoping for a good hard, long freeze tonight.

Run Forest Run!
04-05-2014, 12:31 PM
My taps are dripping at the moment. I'm almost afraid to hope that this might be the official start. Everytime things begin to flow a little bit, they stop again for a week.

BrutemanAl
04-05-2014, 01:45 PM
I'm thinking that if accuweather is right for my area I will be pulling my stuff mid week.

Run Forest Run!
04-05-2014, 01:47 PM
Al, talk like that is not permitted in this thread for at least another month! Don't jinx it!

BrutemanAl
04-05-2014, 02:10 PM
LOL , I know I don't want it to end,but here in the big city of Codrington (population around 100 if you include dogs.... 300) come wed it is not suppose to go below 0 at night,and the syrup has started to turn very very dark.

Sugarmaker
04-05-2014, 03:10 PM
Interesting that some are just starting and some are finishing! sure is a strange year. We are probably a bit farthere south and that can make a difference.
Regards,
Chris

daverobitaille
04-05-2014, 05:37 PM
Got 20 gallons today. I was not expecting it to run but it did a bit. Suppose to freeze tonight and great sunny day tomorrow. I expect a good run. May be the last one. I boiled all day today as my 60 gallons storage was full plus the 20 today that I will poor in cold before calling it a day. Should have 3 gallons of syrup by tomorrow night.
Long range looks like it will be over soon...It was a strange year...

Dave

argohauler
04-06-2014, 06:05 AM
Syrup yesterday lightened up and went to a mid amber colour. It froze, but not sure if it's hard enough to give us a sap Tsunami or not. Not sure if the north of the bush is thawed out enough either. I know there are trees that haven'y really produced yet.

Last night we were visiting my uncle who makes syrup and they haven't had the best year either. The big trees and the north of his bush haven't run that good either. We got home around 12:30 AM and dad's van said -2, but the ground was still pretty squishy.

Karen, I would suggest if you haven't already, you better have all your taps in.

I see 17 or 63 forecasted for Thursday. Rain for Monday and Friday. Saying it's supposed to freeze tonight and Tuesday night.

Gotta wash tanks this morning.

I'd say if you kept a surplus of syrup on hand from last year like I did, it will be very good thing.

Run Forest Run!
04-06-2014, 08:38 AM
Argohauler, I'm seriously considering adding more taps A"SAP". I thought what I had in would do the trick, but this weather game might need another tactic. It got below freezing last night around 7p.m. and was -4 at 2 a.m. Hopefully that will help to get things dripping today.

Unfortunately I don't have enough of a reserve from last year. I shared my 2013 syrup far and wide so now would be a great time for good karma to kick in. :)

Ren
04-06-2014, 09:43 AM
Looks like we had a decent freeze up last night. I had ice in my collection barrels! I am hoping for at least one more good run. I checked the extended forecast and it looks like we are done after the middle of next week. Anyone that has not got there taps in are going to miss out....the trees are going to bud whether we like it or not(it is April). I am just boiling some silver maple sap right now to see if it is still OK! The buds on my yard silvers are really big and I won't be surprised if they pop next week if we get some warmer weather. Well got to go and finish washing my syrup pan and boil up the sap i have in my barrels, so I will be ready for all of today's sap!!!

Run Forest Run!
04-06-2014, 11:01 AM
It's starting to rip! Come on good karma.

maplerookie
04-06-2014, 11:24 AM
It's starting to rip! Come on good karma. Whoot whoot! Go Karen go!

DonMcJr
04-06-2014, 11:39 AM
Finally Karen! It's rippin' here too today! Boil Boil Boil !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:lol:

Run Forest Run!
04-06-2014, 11:57 AM
Thanks for the encouragement everyone. :D Those of us that tap in this region really need to catch a break before the fat lady sings.

Put in 6 more taps and I started measuring my sugar content for today. The first one (a silver) was showing 4.5%.

Run Forest Run!
04-06-2014, 07:46 PM
What an excellent day. I emptied bags and jugs and pails all day long to feed the boil. Ended up collecting 78 litres of sap that ranged from 4.5% to 1.75%. No compaints here. It only took 4 hours to get all of the sap concentrated into the steam trays. Now I'm going to let them bubble away for another hour or so. One pan is 100% box elder sap and the other is my "house blend" made up of Norway, Freeman and Silver saps.

Galena
04-06-2014, 08:30 PM
WOW wtg Karen!! It was just a matter of time :-)

franks sap
04-06-2014, 08:33 PM
Karen you goy to the buds on tree come out

argohauler
04-07-2014, 06:25 AM
I hear peeeeeeeperrrrrrrrrrrrrs.......

Bigger run than Thursday's, but far from a sap Tsunami. Brought in 600 gals. last night, likely at least another 400 out in barrels and tanks and buckets that we'll gather this morning.

Froze a bit here last night, but doubt it will do much. Rain for this aft and into tomorrow. Might freeze tomorrow night, but I think we're probably done.

drpud
04-07-2014, 09:23 AM
Collected just over 100 gal off 75 taps yesterday afternoon. Buckets are nearing full this AM but I'm pulling taps tomorrow looking at long range weather............and my day job is getting in the way
:lol:
Paul

sinker
04-07-2014, 12:51 PM
Solid run here sunday. I collected 60l from my 23 taps.

At work we have 40 taps, I just collected over 300l from them....overflowing buckets.

I don't think it was cold enough at home last night for my trees to run. It was still running at 8:30 last night, and there was hardly any frost on the car this morning. Looks like I might be done, but going to wait until the weekend to pull taps and put gear away.

So far 10l finished for the season, and 60l of sap to still boil, plus whatever (if any) I collect tonight.

S.

twoducks
04-07-2014, 01:03 PM
collected 85gal on 65 tasps , hope it freezes tonite , day job is also getting way .

Run Forest Run!
04-07-2014, 08:22 PM
Well, taps were dry as a bone again today. :mad: I guess my good karma ran out yesterday...

5050racing
04-07-2014, 09:21 PM
You guys need some luck and up n down temps!

Run Forest Run!
04-07-2014, 11:33 PM
We sure do 5050.

For two hours this afternoon I watched as a very well-fed Yellow-Bellied Sapsucker poked hole after hole into a box elder that I hadn't yet tapped. He seemed pretty pleased with the results. I'm starting to think that he got some insider information that I wasn't privy to because all of my taps were dry today. :confused: He better not make this into a sap war, because at this point I'm afraid that he could have the upper hand, or wing. Punk.

argohauler
04-08-2014, 06:43 AM
Sunday's run produced 1200 Imperial gallons of sap. Syrup is still amber and the trees lightly dribbled yesterday. Will it make it -3 tonight? I sure hope so. Have 600 to boil today.

Run Forest Run!
04-08-2014, 05:10 PM
Had snow last night and this morning. Warmed up really nice and sunny, but no sap would run today either.

Ren
04-09-2014, 02:07 PM
Looks like we are done. I just finished boiling the sap I had in my barrels. Going to go over and check the bush and see if there is any more sap. My 3/16 gravity line is running good today but the 5/16 not so much. My silver maples buds have finally opened. It did freeze a little last night so hopefully the buckets are doing something!

sinker
04-09-2014, 02:14 PM
Not a drop here for me since sunday. I boiled off my last bit last night. I'm pulling taps on the weekend and packin 'er up.

Almost 5 litres from 140l of sap. I seem to have a high yeild this season. Less sap, more syrup....works for me!!

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c15/Sinker1975/IMG_20140408_212133_zps0a4645db.jpg (http://s24.photobucket.com/user/Sinker1975/media/IMG_20140408_212133_zps0a4645db.jpg.html)

I think that puts me at around 14-15 litres this season. Kinda slow, but I'm not complaining.

S.

Run Forest Run!
04-09-2014, 04:12 PM
I'm at a loss for words. I've revised my signature to show my whopping total for 2014. I was waiting to boil down my measly batches of 'nearup' until I had more to show for myself, but I think it's time I cooked it down all the way.

After excitedly counting down the weeks since last year's season ended, I am hoping against hope that I get to salvage something for this year. And here I thought 2012 was bad. :cry:

Maplesapper
04-09-2014, 05:38 PM
Only on our third boil in Parry Sound.
Scrambling to make a season out of it for sure.

And isn't this heavy corn snow a treat to try and haul sap in ???
We still have 3 feet in the woods...

argohauler
04-09-2014, 09:28 PM
Decided to gather the dribbles from the last couple of days and was pleasantly surprised to bring in 500 Imp. gallons. The dark syrup people will now rejoice as it was just hanging onto amber on Tuesday. Was warm enough for the garter snakes to be out today and the peepers are increasing their choir.

Whatchya guys think about the cold snap coming Tuesday?

Run Forest Run!
04-09-2014, 09:37 PM
Whatchya guys think about the cold snap coming Tuesday?

I'm hanging onto that hope. If I can squeak out a few more days like this past Sunday (my first real run) I'll thank the trees and put away the chain saw. At this stage of the game, beggars can't be choosers.

MustardSeedMum
04-10-2014, 02:25 PM
Karen,
Oh man. That's awful. So sorry to hear that. :(
Do you think it might have anything to do with the ice-storm we had? Erin got hit hard, as did Caledon. My trees took a beating, which was one of the reasons why I passed this year.

Run Forest Run!
04-10-2014, 02:38 PM
Our property sustained a lot of damage from the ice storm, but fortunately only a few of the maples lost limbs. So, unless the trees talk to one another when we aren't looking, I really can't blame tree damage. It stayed cold for so long that the trees were frozen solid. Then, when we start to get nice days, the evenings don't freeze up. Then of course there is the wind......today is just another example of that. It's like the perfect storm for zero syrup production. You appear to have been the wisest sugarer in these parts this year. I should check with you next year before I dirty up my equipment.

Although I've already got 25 taps in trees here, I think I might go down the street to my second stand of trees. They are all sugars and in a very cold forest. Perhaps I can squeeze out a few litres there and salvage some of the season. It's a real mystery this year.

Run Forest Run!
04-10-2014, 05:03 PM
I made the drive to the "cooler" bush and put in eight taps. Within a half an hour there was an inch of sap in the 2 gallon pails. The sap was really pulling for me. I don't want to hear any frogs for a few weeks or else! :evil:

Clinkis
04-10-2014, 06:07 PM
I made the drive to the "cooler" bush and put in eight taps. Within a half an hour there was an inch of sap in the 2 gallon pails. The sap was really pulling for me. I don't want to hear any frogs for a few weeks or else! :evil:

Looks like if you can convince your trees not to start budding this weekend that there should be at least a couple good days next week! If the forecast is correct there is supposed to be a cool down mid next week with 2 or 3 cold nights in a row, which is what I think you've been lacking.

Run Forest Run!
04-10-2014, 06:56 PM
The buds on all of my trees are tighter than a drum. No chance of budding really soon, thank goodness. The ground is still quite frozen.

argohauler
04-10-2014, 10:04 PM
Syrup graded dark today and it's really tasty as the dark orders come piling in. Slightly froze last night and some of the trees wanted to run. An inch or 2 in most buckets, so we'll start gathering tomorrow morning. If it would just freeze hard, I know the sap would pour. So much for my theory of Lake Erie being frozen over it would make us colder at night. If we got clouds, it didn't freeze or not hard enough. I should have kept track, but I bet we had 7 or 8 nights that barely froze. I'm hoping this heat wave doesn't hurt me and then the cold snap that's supposedly coming will actually freeze hard and produce. I need more dark syrup. My drinking bucket kept up to me in the heat today and is still really sweet. We still have ice in the swamps and frost in the ground, we can't be done yet.

Pkalmykow
04-11-2014, 07:55 AM
Hi All this is my first post.

Agreed, this year has been substandard. We've done three boils so far and produced about 30 litres from our 75 taps, all darker grades. Been fun trying to get through the snow and haul the sap buckets by hand to our collection vats, but we do love the product!

Paul

Run Forest Run!
04-11-2014, 08:41 AM
Welcome Paul! The buckets haven't started to drip yet today, but there was ice on the puddles. Fingers crossed.:)

Pkalmykow
04-12-2014, 09:49 AM
Hi Karen, thanks for the welcome.

Alas, I check the weather forecasts and spent yesterday:

pulling spiles
cleaning buckets and 3 times rinse
cleaning vats (ok bunch of roughneck garbage cans) and airdry
air drying said buckets, staking and putting away
disinfecting spiles
pan cleaner, channel brush, creosote brush, steel wool and power washer to sap,syrup pans, float box
clean out collected ash in firebox/arch, wirebrush grates, re-assemble, powerwash and wipe down arch frame.
powerwash collection tank and feed line and "summerize"
Wash and put away sap collection buckets, filter tank, stem thermometer, etc etc etc.
Collect and put away pumps, electrical cords and garden hoses (used to pump sap into my tank)

Whew, I was beat when I finished, slept well . Can't imagine the closing for those big operations with steam hoods, bubblers, RO, vacuum pumps, main lines and biggy evaporators!

Glad our family loves syrup. My 8 year old especially likes the dark stuff, and he was pleased the last boil turned amber at the take off spout.

Lets hope for a better season next year and no polar vortex! Paul

argohauler
04-14-2014, 03:07 PM
Gathered Friday and got a lot of exercise, but only 170 gallons of sap. Boiled it that afternoon and pushed out another 7 gallons. That got me my pre-orders of dark and got most of it sent out Saturday.

The trees continued to run Saturday despite it not freezing when I went back to wash tanks if the afternoon. Gathered Sunday afternoon and got 300 gals. Some trees are running better than when it was freezing. I guess they're thawed out now. Noticed some of the silvers have popped. Boiled it out today and it got a little darker and the flavour is still good.

Hoping the sap will still be good when the freeze up is over. Sugar buds look all right. Probably going to get 2, possibly 3 runs out of this, but not sure if my wood is going to hold out.

Run Forest Run!
04-15-2014, 02:39 PM
Had quite a bit of snow overnight and it is still snowing off and on. Temperatures have not risen above freezing yet so the sap is not dripping. Maybe we'll get a nice surprise tomorrow and be boiling down some sap. :)

drpud
04-15-2014, 06:39 PM
Well the bucket list (washing, rinsing, drying, stacking/storing) is done :lol: Finished up with 57 litres off 75 taps this year. Last 5 L very dark but tasty (thats staying here). Bit of a disappointment compared to last year's production but still a good year. Good luck to those still draining trees.
Cheers
Paul

Run Forest Run!
04-16-2014, 02:07 PM
A couple of my taps just started to drip within the past ten minutes. Does anyone in this area have good news to report?

Run Forest Run!
04-16-2014, 06:45 PM
The sugar maples in the forest were running at 130 drips/minute at 6pm tonight. Looks like I'll be doing a little boiling tomorrow. I'll take whatever I get. :)

Run Forest Run!
04-17-2014, 02:11 PM
Big sap alert to all of those sugarers in the GTA. Check your buckets the first chance you get!

MustardSeedMum
04-17-2014, 02:19 PM
Run Forest Run!! :D Go go go!!

Run Forest Run!
04-17-2014, 02:25 PM
Run Forest Run!! :D Go go go!!

Thanks for that MSM. What a great day. :D

Run Forest Run!
04-17-2014, 08:11 PM
I collected 119L and they were all still dripping at dusk. The 8 taps in sugar maples gave 83L, and one silver maple's sugar content was at 4.5 this afternoon and it was running like crazy.

MustardSeedMum
04-17-2014, 08:37 PM
THAT IS AWESOME!! You go girl!

sapdrink
04-18-2014, 07:15 AM
Dear all; I am looking to buy sap from anyone willing to sell. Our sugarbush is in the lanark area but has turned milky. Anyone with clear sap? Looking for large amounts. Thanks!

Run Forest Run!
04-18-2014, 10:56 PM
Another very, very long day over the propane tanks. Can't wipe the smile off my face though. :)

Four of the 8 taps I have in sugar maples (that were emptied last night at 7pm) had overflowed this morning. In 24 hours they have given me 120L so far. I was so swamped with sap that I never got back to them tonight to collect what they will have given me today. Who knows, but I'm betting more overflowing buckets. I still have 40L of sugar maple sap in storage that I haven't yet boiled.

I collected 38L from the 22 taps on my property. They had all produced overnight and then slowed down during the day. I was able to get caught up with that and boiled it all by 9pm. They have a higher sugar content than the sugar maple sap currently does, so I wanted to make sure I used it first. Thank goodness for my refractometer. It helps make some sense of this crazy onslaught of sap. At least I know that I'm boiling sap in order of importance. No guesswork.

I've done my best to scrub my pans to get ready for another big boiling day tomorrow. I think I'll be out cold when I hit the pillow.

Run Forest Run!
04-19-2014, 08:43 AM
It got below freezing last night......

Here we go again!

5050racing
04-21-2014, 04:21 AM
Sounds like you got what you been waiting for,have fun!!

Run Forest Run!
04-21-2014, 11:38 AM
Thanks 5050. It's been a busy week and I think things are starting to wind down. Pretty soon I'll also be cleaning up for the year.