PDA

View Full Version : Best Way To Remove Tubing From Fittings

wnybassman
02-19-2014, 06:51 AM
With all the talk recently about replacing droplines every so often, I can only assume the drops are being removed from the fittings? What is the best way to accomplish this without damaging the fitting?

GeneralStark
02-19-2014, 07:12 AM
There is a tool made for this but I have heard mixed results. Most are cutting the drop out and then replacing with a new T and drop.

SmellsLikeSyrupNH
02-19-2014, 07:39 AM
Bring a thermos of hot water...dip it in there to soften and warm the tubing and the fitting will slip right out.

Bruce L
02-19-2014, 06:26 PM
Check out YouTube, not sure how to link it. Just type in " removing tubing from fittings" , and you will be able to use simple garden shears, I have personally done this on 1000 taps that I replaced with cv's.

maple flats
02-19-2014, 06:27 PM
I start with 32" drops, at year 2, I cut the old tap, install the new, now I have about 30.5", year 3 I have about 29" and at year 4 I replace with a new 32" drop.

spud
02-19-2014, 08:29 PM
You should never cut tubing off a fitting and then use the fitting again. When replacing drops you need to replace the T also if you are high vacuum. I know a guy that cut tubing off stainless spouts and just the scratch from the knife caused vacuum leaks the next year.

Spud

Moshers Maples
02-20-2014, 01:45 AM
I heat the tubing with a torch and pull, works great and I can't see any damage to the barbs, and haven't had a vacuum leak yet.

VT_K9
02-20-2014, 05:16 AM
I cut the fittings out of the line in the woods and bring them inside to boil place them in boiling water. In he past I have cut them off, but being more educated and running vacuum I would use hot water or jut bring the fitting back to the house.

Mike

TunbridgeDave
02-20-2014, 07:22 AM
CDL makes a T that has the same shape(just a small rib) as the seasonal spouts do. I don't know why they aren't catching on, and Bascom's took them off the shelves so I had to order them. But I've been installing them over the last 2 yrs for just that purpose. Since the drop lines don't have any tension on them you don't need the bigger barbs. With most tubing(I use the leader30p) you can just pull the drop right off and push a new one on. They are called a "quick tee" and they were intended to be used in conjuction with another fitting that you install on the drop line first. I don't know why you need the other fitting because the tubing goes right on just like it does on a seasonal spout. Some of the flex tubing is probably harder to pull off than the rigid 30p so maybe this won't work for everyone, but if you can pull a seasonal spout out of your drop line then this will work for you.

madmapler
02-20-2014, 07:33 AM
I use a pair of dikes (pliers work too) and pinch the tubing along side the fitting. This stretches the tubing and separates it from the fitting without damaging it. The dikes usually cut the tubing as well. This is on semi rigid. I dont know if it works well with 30p but its worth a try.

Homestead Maple
02-21-2014, 09:06 PM
I heat the tubing with a torch and pull, works great and I can't see any damage to the barbs, and haven't had a vacuum leak yet.

I always wondered if that might be a quick way to pull drops. The drops won't be used again, so who cares what happens to them. I have a very small butane torch made by Ancor Marine, which is very light and a small can of butane ($3.98 a Walmart) doesn't weigh much or take up much space in my surveyors apron.

Rselleck91
02-27-2014, 06:11 PM
I know someone posted not to cut them off. But I use a box cutter blade. Works slick 2 seconds time into it. I haven't noticed any vacuum leaks running 28" of vac on 3000 taps. With just a conde universal vacuum pump that I just outfitted it with a gas 8hp honda and reclaimer. bhr double vertical releaser.