PDA

View Full Version : dairy vacuum pump oil?????

miller maple
02-18-2014, 07:11 PM
so my question is i am running an old sp-22 vacuum pump and i know i had seen a thread about what oil to run in these pumps but i cant find it so any input would be great thanks.

BreezyHill
02-18-2014, 07:32 PM
I run Tractor supplies oil as it does a nice job on the pumps I run and rebuild. Water will separate out over night and reclaims nicely. I used it in a bb2 for a couple years, worked great.

Ben

Maplewalnut
02-18-2014, 08:26 PM
Same here TSC vacuum oil

wiam
02-19-2014, 02:59 PM
Maple dealer that I got my sp-22 from told me to run 15-40 rotella. That is what I ran for years and no problem.

Joust7.1
02-21-2014, 12:30 PM
How about in a delaval pump. Do different pumps have different specs on oil? This is way out of my knowledge base.

mapleack
02-21-2014, 12:52 PM
I run TSC brand vac oil in my sp22, works fine.

BreezyHill
02-21-2014, 10:06 PM
most manufacturers have their own oil. They are very similar except for color. delaval is a little thicker than TsC oil but not much. most generally it will be in a milk house room that gets very hot. Even in the winter I know some that will be in the 70s. The tank compressors and the pumps heat up the area well; so a thicker oil is fine for that area.
For use we need an oil that will cool the pump not just lube the bearings. We want a sealing factor also. That is where the flooding of the pump comes into play. if you run straight truck oil...I run Rotella T in all our diesels, it doesn't work well for separating out the water or condensation, it doesn't cool by vaporizing and the viscosity is still a little high for starting a pump on a cold morning with an electric motor.
The older surge pumps that are piston style you could get away with motor oil if it doesn't get to hot and you have a great water trap. My BB2 woul get water in the oil from condensation and would need to be drained every morning after a good run.
I have only taken a part one pump run on motor oil in it was gunked up in the bottom pretty bad. About an inch deep...so half the oil reservoir capacity was lost. So that had some of the bearing failure affect. The rest could have been the water trapped in the oil and didn't settle out for draining.

I have to lean to the side of buying a good oil that can be reclaimed and water removed over changing the oil every week. Right now I am looking at maybe a four day run and at least a week to the next run. So it would be a good time to change the oil, where all I need to do is check the drain on the reclaimer and be sure the hour meter on the pump switch hasn't hit 125 hours yet. I change every 125 hours and after the lines are washed. Drain the pump hot so there is no moisture in it. Refill and run for 10 minutes the next day with the isolation valve closed so that all oil lines get well oiled and the housing gets a good coating and hot. Then she is good for a nice summer off. I will run it once a month if I remember so that the housings stay oily. I just hate having to tare down a pump if it doesn't need it.

Ben

red maples
02-22-2014, 06:08 PM
TSC carries a Dairy pump oil. its for piston and rotary vein pumps. Its blue its non foaming and doesn't mix with water or sap in our case it never becomes cloudy. After the oil rests for a short period any moisture will collect on the bottom just drain that out close it up check the level and you're good togo. a Friend recommended it to me. Wish I wish I knew about it earlier.