PDA

View Full Version : What type of stovepipe

Birdland Sugarbush
02-17-2014, 07:45 PM
We've had some wind lately and the top 2 sections blew off. I noticed that they are badly rusted –*in fact the lower piece broke off in the wind.

I bought the pipe at the local hardware store. Driving around and looking at other sugar shacks, I noticed a spiral sort of pipe with no rust whatsoever. What type of pipe should I be using?

Bucket Head
02-17-2014, 09:35 PM
The "spiral sort of pipe" you saw may have been galvanized culvert pipe. I've seen that used as stovepipe in several sugar sugarshacks.

Your best option would be to replace your pipe with stainless steel stovepipe. Yes, its expensive compared to the cheap galvanized stuff the hardware store sells, but it will last you a lifetime. Its also the safer way to go. Galvanized stuff does'nt last forever and that culvert pipe material is heavy. Its an awful lot of weight to get up in the air and then get it safely anchored.

Steve

maple flats
02-18-2014, 04:39 AM
The hardware stores will only carry 24 ga at the heaviest, you would be far better using 22 or even better 20 ga. For that, find a tin shop and get it made. It will last far longer. If you get SS you likely only need 24 ga.

tendermason
02-18-2014, 06:46 PM
Stainless Steel buy far the best.

maple flats
02-19-2014, 05:55 AM
Yes, but my arch and stack were made and used in 2001, then sat idol for 3 seasons due to a back injury (previous owner). Then I put it up in 2005 and have used it since. The original 20 ga. Galv. stack is showing some rust on the outside but is still solid. I may use it another year or 2, then go to SS.

Birdland Sugarbush
02-19-2014, 07:39 PM
Thanks all for the replies. Where would I get stainless stovepipe?

tendermason
02-19-2014, 07:49 PM
ck olympia chimney supply.

DoubleBrookMaple
02-19-2014, 08:27 PM
Thanks all for the replies. Where would I get stainless stovepipe?

I have used ChimeyPipe.com recently. Good, easy to navigate website, and they have a good inventory of stove pipe and chimney pipe. Free shipping, and they have shipped within a day and I have received within a day or two of that on my three orders. I think they ship from upstate NY. I got Selkirk Double wall black stove pipe, and I just put in an order for a an 8" X 48" 24ga 430 stainless Duravent stove pipe ($43.34). http://www.ventingpipe.com/duravent-1848ss-8-x-48-single-wall-stainless-steel-stove-pipe-straight-length-from-the-durablack-series/p1761223 Cheaper than 304 stainless, but good enough for me this year.

http://www.ventingpipe.com/

Good Luck..

*** UPDATE ***

OMG... I received my pipe in one day. got it this afternoon, and I just ordered it yesterday morn!