PDA

View Full Version : Pushed on today

Shawn
02-17-2014, 04:52 PM
Started early this morning after it warmed up a bit from the -3 this morning here. At four this afternoon had tapped out 250 taps. Pushing through the knee deep snow and by this afternoon slowing down and guess what we are beat. Early to bed and finish up tapping tomorrow, Some trees when tapped started to weep a little as they were in the sun.

MapleSaint
02-17-2014, 06:07 PM
New in the syrup world. I put all my taps in yesterday and I have icicles coming out of taps. Will that melt and open up holes to let syrup by?

Run Forest Run!
02-17-2014, 06:10 PM
It sure will. :)

Mark-NH
02-17-2014, 06:48 PM
It is time to start tapping but don't worry about missing any sap if you are not all tapped out by Friday. A lot of snow out there and it has been a cold winter. It is going to take more than a day or to at 38* for a couple hours to get the sap running.

handtapper
02-17-2014, 07:04 PM
I agree on the snow shawn looks like 4to7" more inches here tomorrow. Knee deep through snow reminds of digging steamers. Wears your legs right out.

325abn
02-17-2014, 07:05 PM
We get sap from trees not syrup. :) I am sure UVM is working on a solution for this issue though.

MapleLady
02-17-2014, 07:38 PM
I put 5 'test' taps out this afternoon in my backyard before my drill died. Sap was running -- what a beautiful sound! I plan to put in more when the weather warms up for 'real'.

BAP
02-18-2014, 05:59 AM
Well the weather Guru's seem to be slowly taking away our sap weather. They have already increased the amount of snow we are supposed to get today and seem to have backed off the temperatures some each day. Next week talking deep freeze again. I don't think that if you aren't all tapped out this week you are going to miss much sap. With this deep snow around the trees and all the cold we have had, it is going to take several quite warm days to get the trees to really run. On top of that, the days are still short, which leaves the window of above freezing temperatures short.

SmellsLikeSyrupNH
02-18-2014, 07:39 AM
We get sap from trees not syrup. :) I am sure UVM is working on a solution for this issue though.

Sap was running? Ugh so lucky!!! I went out and put 14 taps out in about 7 trees...not a drip, but I was happy to be doing it..my plan was 20 taps yesterday but my drill battery died. I bought this fancy wood drill bit for the taps, but it seemed to struggle drilling, im gonna go back to the standard drill bit and stop trying to think too much lol. It killed my brand new Dewalt way too fast and took too long to drill the holes, made no sense. My good buddy has given me 24 buckets fromthe bakery at Hannafords and I plan on having every one of them out by this weekend. I havent even thought about the 40 buckets I have in my shed yet :-)